Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ancient Rollers

ElectiDei

Shame on you all for denouncing this as a troll! This is a good, while flawed, idea. The infested need some more interesting mobs, recently the Grineer have been getting all the new mob love, let's give the infested a shot!

Firstly, the concept of lore must be addressed. Seeing many people on this thread have been saying "machines can't be infested," I have a proposal. The infestation is a corruption of flesh, this we all know. And once corrupted this flesh acts in it's kill all, infest all mind set. So would this infested flesh not use any means to do so?

For example, say a Grineer Seeker were infested, while of course holding it's famous rollers. Would not some of the infestation realize it could latch on to the independently moving roller?

This would transfer to game with a normally operating roller with infested flesh attached to it (not infecting it). This roller could roll just like any other roller could. Then, to make it's attacks make sense with this set up, I would suggest we take away the rollers ability to jump (flesh too heavy/ clogging up the gears), and when it attempts to it crushes some of the flesh in it's system, spraying it in every direction which causes the AOE attacks described by ElectiDei.

This description of a roller would also make the trail of toxin make sense, because the toxic flesh can not properly hold on to the metal surface of the roller.

My second issue it just a balance issue. The AOE attacks should definitely have a max range of 5 meters, to keep it similar to the jump length of the normal rollers. Also, the poison damage would be extreme in scenarios like defense missions, where multiple could be present. Values of about half of what ElectiDei stated would suffice.

Lastly, as for the boss. That's just silly :p but I like the idea with J3-Golem.

I combined the ideas we discussed and updated the overall idea.

I also think that the new J-3 Golem should stop throwing fart grenades and start throwing Ancient Rollers to go along with his upcoming epicness

No i think they should replace J-3 Golem with the concept art where is he a few stories he and has a giant scythe for an arm or whatever its supposed to be.

SchrodingersKitteh, on 02 Aug 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

Could work except the technocyte virus only infects and mutates living tissue and from that infected tissue it grows over things like armour and stuff, the main issue here is the grineer rollers are all machine.

Edit: thought i would try to use some logic to shoot down this rather bad idea.

The Orokin changed the TCV to affect metallic beings as well in an effort to win the war against the Sentients, which were self aware machines. This reversed their effects of forming metal over flesh, so that flesh can spawn from a both synthetic materials, and flesh, but thrives in a combination of both.

The Orokin changed the TCV to affect metallic beings as well in an effort to win the war against the Sentients, which were self aware machines. This reversed their effects of forming metal over flesh, so that flesh can spawn from a both synthetic materials, and flesh, but thrives in a combination of both.

wait what? When did they say what the sentients were? they never said they were machines... Also no it doesn't effect metallic beings... otherwise we would at least have osprey/Moa/Grineer Informer/Roller infested by now... or even a good infested boss like an infected Jackal... now theres something to think about...

My suggestion for ranged Infested being the Stingers and chroma from Dark Sector and just throwing spines at you was better lol... invisible Infested that cling to the ceiling and follow you around waiting for the right moment to throw spines at you and stuff is still awesome...

My suggestion for ranged Infested being the Stingers and chroma from Dark Sector and just throwing spines at you was better lol... invisible Infested that cling to the ceiling and follow you around waiting for the right moment to throw spines at you and stuff is still awesome...

That...sounds like Aliens.

wait what? When did they say what the sentients were? they never said they were machines... Also no it doesn't effect metallic beings... otherwise we would at least have osprey/Moa/Grineer Informer/Roller infested by now... or even a good infested boss like an infected Jackal... now theres something to think about...

One of the DEvs in a forum post, that the Sentients were self aware machines and that we see the remnants of their capabilities in to form of Moa, Osprey, and Jackal tech.

Also, that's why I said a combination of both. In the metal-to-flesh, it's destruction or non-sentient conversion/growths, as we see on the floor/walls of ships 'n such, can't quite catalyze the same effect that flesh has for the transformations.

Edited by LeucienWeaver

One of the DEvs in a forum post, that the Sentients were self aware machines and that we see the remnants of their capabilities in to form of Moa, Osprey, and Jackal tech.

Also, that's why I said a combination of both. In the metal-to-flesh, it's destruction or non-sentient conversion/growths, as we see on the floor/walls of ships 'n such, can't quite catalyze the same effect that flesh has for the transformations.

You sure DE wasn't just throwing stuff at us to throw us off the Lore entirely? I mean the Lore is subject to change till its actually IN THE GAME... and even then in the game it can still change...

The infested, the faction of melee and stun-lock, need a freshening up because currently they are too boring and easy to fight against. If you have a single Vauban or Nyx on your team, you should almost never take damage during an infested mission, meaning that these warframes are used as crutches in things like endless defense.

To fix this I propose Ancient Rollers. Seeing as the infested are just mutated members of the other two factions, so too are Ancient Rollers. These are Grineer rollers that have been infested and have been changed by the Ancients that everyone knows and loves.  They should spawn out of the back of other ancients so that One Ancient = One Ancient Roller and have the following abilities.

1. They leave a toxic trail if they spawn from a Toxic Ancient

2. They have an AoE disruption(about the same size as an Ancient Healer's AoE heal) if they come out of Ancient Disruptors

3. They have an AoE heal and a healing trail if spawned from Ancient Healers

4. When they get near you, about 5-10m, they will leap into the air and shoot poison/disruption spikes in every direction around them. Poison is 1 tick per second lasting 3 seconds with 50 direct health damage per tick, per spike. Disruption effect makes you lose 25% of your shields/energy per spike.

5. Upon death they spawn an infested nervo that incapacitates the affected player and causes him to lose 20 health per second. Multiple infested nervos can affect a player at a time. 

These should not start spawning until wave 10 in defense or until the mobs pass level 40.

I also think the next infested boss should be a massive 20m high Ancient Roller that lets lose a massive AoE poison wave everytime it jumps, along with the spikes so that we can have a boss that is actually a challenge for once. Its phase change would be splitting in 30 different Ancient rollers when it hits 10% health.

Upvote if you agree

http://youtu.be/NHh0rf0ojEc?t=15s second time used in about 45 seconds......

I also think the next infested boss should be a massive 20m high Ancient Roller that lets lose a massive AoE poison wave everytime it jumps, along with the spikes so that we can have a boss that is actually a challenge for once. Its phase change would be splitting in 30 different Ancient rollers when it hits 10% health.

Out of curiousity, did my earlier thread about a giant roller boss influence your idea?  (My basic idea was a giant roller which split off smaller and smaller rollers whenever it was damaged, and the fight took place inside a maze with lava floor traps.)

Out of curiousity, did my earlier thread about a giant roller boss influence your idea?  (My basic idea was a giant roller which split off smaller and smaller rollers whenever it was damaged, and the fight took place inside a maze with lava floor traps.)

It did, I supported that thread and now hope that we can see it come to life, just infested.