Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why I hate the Plains of Eidolon

PrometheanLegacy

Hi there,

the "Plains of Eidolon" (PoE) are my most hated level in the the game - or the only one I hate at all. I want to say why.

I like the idea of introducing a semi open world to the game. I could image the whole game go this way, so that you visit planets and choose your missions there or explore the planetside on your own. But it should work with the Tenno narrativ and the mysticism around them so that you do not become some kind of space-mercenary.

But the PoE I hate for its overwhelming effects, mostly. In most missions you are surounded by high gras, trees as well as cliffs where it is hard to identify the enemies (or crates for missions) while you are constantly bombarded by explosions and fire from all side while the screen is shaking. After many of these missions I have rapid heartbeat. Many enemies can fly and shoot from above, slow you down or capsize you and this from all sides, while you see nothering else than fire, shaking grounds and brown grass. Than comes these constant screaming from the Grineer as if they are some kind of drunken maniacs. I prefer to fight Corpus or Infested. The newly introcued Ghouls now come from the ground and are a pain in the &#!, no matter the level.

I was never a fan of the Grineer because they are ugly as hell, in there rotten state. One should release them from their misery of existrence. I wish one could see more enemy factions in the future which are more ... enjoyable to look at. Even the Infested have there own beauty.  

Mostly, I use the PoE for running around, testing combos or fishing and such stuff. A little bit relaxing in the game. The hunt for the Eidolons I have not tried so far.

While I don't have as many issues as the OP, apart from the stupidly overpowered tusk bolkor nothings exceptionally damaging to us, I do agree about a couple of things and that's the grass being too tall and visibility can be an issue at night when we've all got our abilities active etc.  It wouldn't be so bad if the enemies couldn't see us through the tall grass it but they don't seem to have the same 'limitation' we do on visibility and we can be shot at before we even see them. 

Ability effects are nothing new really and we've had issues with those in the past, especially those of us who want to use bright energy colours in dark environments, but there's not a lot we can do without changing to a black energy colour in most cases. 

Now for the visibility aspect you could say use archwing to fly above the enemy and fire down on them but that's not really an option either because you'll keep getting one shot by missiles that you aren't alerted to etc.

25 minutes ago, PrometheanLegacy said:

But it should work with the Tenno narrativ and the mysticism around them so that you do not become some kind of space-mercenary.

We're mercenaries since they added the Invasion system. This is nothing new for the game.

Edited by -SDM-NerevarCM

Its suppose to be an environment that forces you to better plan your positioning, taking advantage of higher grounds and clean open areas to fight off your enemies. I honestly have no reasons to hate Plains. If your having that much trouble finding enemies through the tall grass, try using Enemy Radar or Animal Instincts at least so you now which direction to look at. I play Zephyr and when an enemy is in the tall grass i just jump and ground attack on top of them.

You think POE is too obscuring? It's not anymore than any other level, probably has longer visibility.

The whole board is essentially: POINTLESSLY OPEN AND EMPTY.

My first and biggest complaint about POE is the name, it is not a plains it is a VALLEY. There is no explanation or lore reason offered to why everyone is referring to this location by a completely wrong name. Maybe in the future they can explain how the plains turned into a huge valley with 2 mountains on either side, but it should have been called a valley from the door, or something else. It is a small pet peeve but to me it speaks volumes that this title made it all the way to the end of development and no one bothered to adjust it for clarity sake. That or apparently they felt either people were too dumb or don't care. It shows lack of attention to detail and a rushed dev process which saw alot of compromises for the sake of a release date. Something that was completely not necessary as POE was not asked for nor expected.

Continuing from the name problem, even with the wrong terrain they still manage to make a pretty flat and featureless landscape DEVOID of anything interesting to interact with and engage. Just wander around the map, don't fish, mine or collect mats. Just wander around and explore. You will quickly discover nothing interesting or of note going on in the entire map, except for the eidolon. None of the grineer bases do anything, and not even when in a mission or bounty if you pay attention.

Which leads to my biggest complaint about the map, it's boring and useless. The majority of the map is essentially a time sink filler. All the map gives you is a distance delay to get between waypoints. It artificially extends the time of the mission without offering you anything to engage with. And with the archwing that's even less pronounce as you can jet from one end of the map to another in minutes. Which pretty much negates the scale of the map.

As for the Grineer, that is not that big a deal. Lore wise it would make sense that they would be in POE, the Grineer control Earth. I do think they are ugly but that keeps with the lore, they are genetically degenerating. My complaint about the Grineer mobs is once again the inconsistency and lack of attention to detail and the feeling POE was released in an seriously unfinished state. A simple question highlights this: The grineer auto agro to you the moment you get into range, the Eidolon does as well. Why don't the Grineer and the Eidolon fight each other? Why don't the grineer attack the Vomvalysts or get attacked by them? They act like they don't even see each other or are aware of their presence.

And finally, nothing excited happens there. I have run bounties, did Plague Star ad nauseam (another lazy, uninspired mission design) and have just ran around the map farming mats. The only thing even remotely exciting or interesting on POE is fishing, and I hate fishing mini games. None of the missions, or mission types are new, interesting, or offer anything engaging, let alone inspiring hours of grinding.

So to me the whole thing is rather silly and useless. that's why I never call it by it's true name, I always refer to it as Pointlessly Open and Empty.

Il y a 20 heures, BiancaRoughfin a dit :

Its suppose to be an environment that forces you to better plan your positioning, taking advantage of higher grounds and clean open areas to fight off your enemies. I honestly have no reasons to hate Plains. If your having that much trouble finding enemies through the tall grass, try using Enemy Radar or Animal Instincts at least so you now which direction to look at. I play Zephyr and when an enemy is in the tall grass i just jump and ground attack on top of them.

The grass is my smallest problem, I just put all my issues in a frame. Other maps although have cliffs and grass and I have no problem with that, I enjoy maps where I can use the parkour system in full scale. But on this maps you are not literally bombared (sound and effects) and afired or capsized the whole time from all directions, while you stuck on the edges or try to see something in this chaos. It is not a problem of game mechanics. It is a problem of perception. I think this is too much stress in my eyes, maybe not for every age playing the game. Every ammunition of the Grineer on the PoE seem to have explosive shells. Have you ever tried Valkyr's Hysteria on the PoE? Epilepsy pre-programmed. In my eyes game designes exaggerate visual effetcs these days and forget how many stress this cause for the perception.