Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The whole Acolyte event was a testament to poor design and planning

Dornez

On 12/27/2017 at 2:29 PM, Dornez said:

1) The Acolyte mods are OP, maybe not all of them, but a select few are so disgustingly overpowered they honestly should not exist. 

When a mod sells for over 800 plat and can turn any weapon into a force of nature, it is OP.

You know it, I know it, DE knows it

The acolyte mods are OP

This makes them incredibly coveted. Like that alluring jackpot on a slot machine. 

2) The event dropped on Christmas weekend. 

You know that time of year that good little boys and girls are supposed to spend time with their families away from video games? Even DE all went on vacation for the weekend. 

So why would you drop the most coveted event/mod on one of the most important weekends to not play video games?

It was a bit counterintuitive to the spirit of the season

3) The event hooked people into the game, like a bad gambling addiction. 

You know what I heard in my Discord server multiple times?

"I wish I could be doing X but I can't because the Acolyte will pop up during that time."

Long def survival mission? Nope. Eidolon Hunt...nope. Basically any mission that could potentially last over 5 min whas a no go.

People were on edge the whole time. Hoping to get their mods. 

And no one wanted to stop playing either. only here is the catch,

They didn't want to stop playing, not because it was fun. They didn't want to stop playing for fear they would miss the jackpot

Keep that in mind when you design the next event DE.

Now everyone in our discord server is thinking the same thing, "I am going to put warframe down for a few weeks"

Note I didn't say quit. But this event left us broken. 

I hope you learn something DE, this event was not ok. 

1.  Disagree.  I made massive progress in the star chart and completed ALL the questlines without these mods.  The mods seem OP, but they are only functionally useful while performing specific actions and for a short time (aiming, casting, sliding, etc and lasting up to about 9 seconds at max rank).  Also, the bigger force that drives prices in any market is supply and demand.  Low supply (rare mod that only drops during yearly event) + high demand (everyone thinks it ridiculously OP and MUST have it) = high price (800 plat).  A side effect of this event is that there will be more mods circulating the player economy now, so there will be more mods and possibly less demand. 

2.  There is this AMAZING MMO that everyone seems to ignore.  I believe it's called Real Life.  At the same time, all events are farmed because they usually drop rare (and some even call it useless) loot.  Is there a better time to start an event that a large part of the player base wants as a gift?  I can't speak for anyone else, but I've never gotten a Christmas present on May 4th.

3.  This one is easy to disagree on.  Given that this game is FTP, there is no gambling (not even the remote appearance of it) because YOU ARE NOT PAYING FOR IT.  Everything that drops is based on RNG, but it's still useful.  It's usefulness is ultimately determined by the player.  If you want a true gambling experience in your game, I recommend Star Wars BattleBox II (seriously, EA never removed the RNG progression mechanics so expect microtransactions or pay-to-win to return).

Since it will eventually come up anyway, I did farm the hell out of the Acolytes to get a complete mod set.  I rather enjoyed beating the crap out of the acolytes (especially Malice for one-shotting me) with Atlas.  The event will likely return in the future, so just chill out and have fun.

On 12/28/2017 at 12:25 PM, Soul-scar said:

People going on about being with their families make me giggle. Seriously how much time do you spend with family at Christmas in real terms? All of Christmas eve, Christmas day AND all of boxing day? 72 hrs in the same room with candles?

I sit down for Christmas dinner, watch Ben Her with a beer then do my own thing. The Kids disappear to play with their presents. The devote catholic side of the family go to church in the morning, that's it. We don't sit in a circle singing carols for 72 hrs to ward off Satan unable to leave each others company.

Chances are more people will be off work and have more free time NOT less. So DE in fact gave more people the opportunity to take part in the event. If you didn't get the mods then too bad they are not essential and as someone else said "blood rush" is by far the most useful mod and is available all year round.

All I am hearing is "I didn't get 10 maiming strikes to sell doing by killing 15 acolytes.... sniff" and "I didn't get a maiming strike so its OP and needs a nerf". Seriously, there are rivens that make all these mods somewhat laughable.

My clan was very active so we did the event together and everyone got the mods. It was great timing and a successful event. Not once did I hear teary eyed clan mates, up to their necks in salt go on depressive rants about the plat cost of these mods or the OP-ness.

Agreed, except I ran solo for the mods.  I was only disappointed that Misery didn't show up.  I don't consider these mods OP.  After all, I wrecked the acolytes all week without any of them.

Edited by (PS4)GeneralDecoy

On 12/28/2017 at 1:24 PM, mHtt said:

This event was perfectly timed for hard core gamers. I got 11 maiming strikes in 220runs. I worked hard all month before making Christmas happen at my delivery job and didn't see any family over the holidays because theyre really far. I've been waiting for this event since feb.

The only people who have a problem with this event are total scrubs to the game or self entitled self centred adult brats who can't understand when something doesn't go their way. 

Amazing event DE. Thanks for the great holiday, esp the 3 Maiming strikes on Christmas  morning. 

Don't worry about the salt, haters gonna hate. This event was AMAZING.

:/ i'm a scrub

Edited by Dr.Sturgeon

i totally agree with the part about the part where the event drops on christmas weekend. However if you compare a god roll riven with maiming strike or argon scope?  the only difference is you either have to buy a god roll or come up with it yourself.  ive sold my maiming and argon 2 years ago, got them back from event and i feel the same way.  with all the new mods in the game, these expensive prices are just a myth based on when the game didn't have these new set mods or rivens.  Hunter munitions and blood rush equipped alone do a way better job than these 2.  ive done alot of testing and i conclude that various mod combinations often give the same result : enemies get killed with difference of either a few melee strikes or bullets.  in other words having argon scope or maiming strike mods are not mandatory, unless you just want to make plat or have  a fetish for red numbers.  theres  a reason why after 60+ minutes in a survival you game starts to lag, because it wasn't designed to make all these calculations on a regular basis.   And how powerful do you want to be?  powerful enough  to say the game has no incentives and no challenge.  instead of scaling up levels and figuring out how to scale armor properly DE preferred scaling down IPS, and soon enough maybe these mods will have a meaning to me.   for now they are just alternatives and ways to get platinum.

On 12/27/2017 at 6:29 PM, Dornez said:

Keep that in mind when you design the next event DE.

Just want to point of this wasn't an event but more of an alert. The actual acolyte event, shadow debut, ended with a boss that dropped ALL the mods the acolytes could drop and stayed for a set time, i think it was like 1 or 2 weeks. It was an endless mission that you could play at any time, no "wait for new location nonsense" and it dropped multiple of the mods per wave even. You were basically guaranteed to get all the mods for a tenth of the hassle doing it with the normal acolytes was. If they just brought back that boss Misery it would really make farming the mods for people that missed that event much easier plus that boss fight was actually a pretty fun mission other than the fact it made you go "why isn't nekros this good"

On 12/29/2017 at 9:49 PM, Urabask said:

It's not scalping though.  Making a profit based on scarcity is a fundamental part of all mmo economies. You can complete any activity in the game without the items you're complaining about.  All they really represent is a time and resource sink for endgame players.

Rarity may be one thing, but when I said scarcity, I meant gone from drop tables as of this time, for an unforeseeable amount of time, one that could go as long as more than a year if you take into account the prevalence of old vaulted prime items. That's why I call it scalping, people demand more value of these items for the simple fact that you can't get them elsewhere anymore, other than by buying from them.

I find it to be a completely disgusting model that fucks with the in game economy, the vast majority of players suffers and only few get to trade at all, or are successful in trading any of this S#&$. That is essentially also the problem with these mods. Just because they're not the be all end all, that doesn't deny the value that their use in game has, such as some of them being the Only real option you have in game for Crit chance on most, if not all of your weapons, being desirable and then also, being the only items left to get in the game to obtain, as well as being gone from drop tables, that is also a psychological warfare Against the consumers and a very dirtying, old and cheap trick in trading.

On 12/27/2017 at 5:37 PM, PUR3K1LL3R said:

2. This season, most people spend time with their families, regardless of whatever releases. Sure, they can still play if they want, but if they want to do something else but don't because X popped up, that's their fault. This is a video game, it's not that important, or at least it shouldn't be.

The event is also arbitrarily given a time that's not that important, and could just as easily not collide with what is probably the most holiday-ridden space of time on the planet :p

1 hour ago, KochDerFrettchen said:

The event is also arbitrarily given a time that's not that important, and could just as easily not collide with what is probably the most holiday-ridden space of time on the planet :p

I doubt it was arbitrary.  DE has often shown usage and login stats on DEvstreams, I'm willing to bet they had the Acolytes spawn based on login stats from around the same time the last couple years. 

Am 27.12.2017 um 23:53 schrieb JShield:

As you said, it's "like a bad gambling addiction."

You and your friends missed what you all wanted to do because of greed.

Sooooo .... an addiction is just greed?
It is greed to not pay hundreds of plat for a great mod, that only is available 1 or 2 weeks in a YEAR?

Am 28.12.2017 um 00:07 schrieb Kuestenjung:

So you are saying everyone played the Acolyte missions, but saying this is DEs fault and they should learn something from it?

Reading such threads just proves that DE did right, and maybe you all should learn something from it.

Yes - it is DEs fault xDD
They made some  really good rare mods only available in 1 or 2 weeks in a year :'D
---- Yes we should learn .... what should we learn?
To wait until the next event to eventually get those mods?
To better buy this mod for a dope amount of plat?