Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentients adapting to Impact, Puncture and Slash damage at once: bug or intended?

MillenniumStar

While fighting Conculysts/Battalysts, I noticed something with their damage adaptation that suprised me. According to wiki, when reaching a health gate, they adapt to the damage type that has dealt the most damage to them. Once they appeared I attacked them with Cestra. Once I knocked one of their health to the first HP gate, it adapted to Impact, Puncture and Slash damage at once. What suprising is that it adapted to Slash, despite Cestra not having Slash damage component. I haven't used frame's abilities beforehand and they were far away from Helios' attack range. At first I thought that maybe they shared resistances with each other via link, despite me attacking only one of them. After defeating one, and attacking the remaining one (it didn't have any adaptations), the situation was the same.

So based on what I experienced and continue to experience, is IPS treated as single damage type, despite, in Cestra's case, 80% of damage is Puncture based (and it should have adapted to Puncture instead of to all three of them)? And is this behavior intended or is it a bug?

9 minutes ago, MillenniumStar said:

While fighting Conculysts/Battalysts, I noticed something with their damage adaptation that suprised me. According to wiki, when reaching a health gate, they adapt to the damage type that has dealt the most damage to them. Once they appeared I attacked them with Cestra. Once I knocked one of their health to the first HP gate, it adapted to Impact, Puncture and Slash damage at once. What suprising is that it adapted to Slash, despite Cestra not having Slash damage component. I haven't used frame's abilities beforehand and they were far away from Helios' attack range. At first I thought that maybe they shared resistances with each other via link, despite me attacking only one of them. After defeating one, and attacking the remaining one (it didn't have any adaptations), the situation was the same.

So based on what I experienced and continue to experience, is IPS treated as single damage type, despite, in Cestra's case, 80% of damage is Puncture based (and it should have adapted to Puncture instead of to all three of them)? And is this behavior intended or is it a bug?

Intended. Just use your operator to wipe the damage resistance away

Intended. They have a percentage based resistance based on the percentage of the damage type you attacked them with. So, multiple resistances at once are possible. Also, if they link up they share each other's resistances. 

Operators for the win

I understand I can remove them and they can have up to 5(?) resistances. It's just suprising that they develop Slash resistance even though my equipped weapons don't have Slash, as is the case with Cestra.

EDIT: Here is the image of my Cestra build and here is video of my fight with Conculyst. To reiterate: 1) is Sentient supposed to adapt to multiple damage types at once per health gate? 2) is it supposed to adapt to Slash damage, even though Cestra, in this case, doesn't have it? Helios' Deconstructor was removed.

Edited by MillenniumStar

If you look at the coments on the wiki, it seems to be a normal thing for it to addapt to all physical damage types at once.  I can't say if this is a bug or not - it certainly seems off but this may be some attempt by DE to forcably drag out fights or force operator use (in most cases at most three gates can be crossed befrore your weapon deals 5% damage).  

12 hours ago, CriticalFumble said:

If you look at the coments on the wiki, it seems to be a normal thing for it to addapt to all physical damage types at once.  I can't say if this is a bug or not - it certainly seems off but this may be some attempt by DE to forcably drag out fights or force operator use (in most cases at most three gates can be crossed befrore your weapon deals 5% damage).  

This is what I concluded in the end, that, despite IPS distribution on weapons, Impact, Puncture and Slash is treated as single Physical damage type. The reason for my concern is that it's counter-intuitive that you hammer it with one damage type and it develops resistance to another. Another reason (albeit not that significant) was that, 

Spoiler

unless you completed TWW and can switch to Operator, blast it and switch back (or stay and kill it in Operator form), rinse and repeat

what about those, who haven't completed it yet? You might get stuck with them and your 10 sec Void Beam attack (Transcendence) is still charging. Just run away from them in hopes they don't catch up to you? I'm just thinking about players who encounter it for the first time.

27 minutes ago, MillenniumStar said:

This is what I concluded in the end, that, despite IPS distribution on weapons, Impact, Puncture and Slash is treated as single Physical damage type. The reason for my concern is that it's counter-intuitive that you hammer it with one damage type and it develops resistance to another. Another reason (albeit not that significant) was that, 

Reveal hidden contents

unless you completed TWW and can switch to Operator, blast it and switch back (or stay and kill it in Operator form), rinse and repeat

what about those, who haven't completed it yet? You might get stuck with them and your 10 sec Void Beam attack (Transcendence) is still charging. Just run away from them in hopes they don't catch up to you? I'm just thinking about players who encounter it for the first time.

They will have to do what everyone had to do before void beam erased the reduction, switch to different elementals.  Which if they are running similar elements they will just have to persevere through it. I personally miss the challenge of sentients from back then but I understand why the beam ability was implemented. Namely Shadow Stalker being and unlikable nuisance if you were leveling weapons.