Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can we get a reworked moderation system?

artemisfortune

2 hours ago, KirukaChan said:

Thanks for clearing up that first bit; I had a feeling the list was incomplete to some extent, since I didn't see Aidan's name there. Does DE have their own list of staff members and their roles anywhere on warframe.com?

Regarding your second point, it strikes me that since Kickbot is Glen's creation, he might take it personally when someone complains about the way Kickbot does things, especially if he's mainly doing forum stuff when he's intending to take a break from work. Breaks are a thing that ought to be relaxing, at least in my opinion.

No, DE doesn't openly publicize the list of their employees or their roles as far as I know.

Maybe he takes it a bit personally? Though Kickbot is doing precisely what it's designed to do. It's not malfunctioning in any way. It's designed to be an indiscriminate rule enforcing terminator... it's basically the Liam Neeson of chat bots, and each time someone violates the rules, it's like kidnapping Liam Neeson's daughter or family member in one of the Taken movies. All the complaints of it being too strict or too harsh or too Liam-Neeson-y may just mean that it's working as intended.

As for moderating the forums... it can be a stressful activity for some, and a relaxing activity for others. It probably depends how a person feels or processes stress. I probably would not have stayed a forum moderator for over 4 years if it was a source of stress for me.

2 hours ago, notlamprey said:

I will try to make my request simple.

We are people, and should be given the appropriate respect even when we stand accused of wrongdoing. It's the foundation of a functioning judiciary. Snide remarks, jokes at our expense, rude or dismissive language delivered to us by someone in a position of power - these things shouldn't be happening.

I'd urge DE staffers and their volunteers to be mindful of the fact that any of the behaviors I listed above could sow the seeds of an HRTO complaint. Someone with an axe to grind could cause a lot of bother for the company if they were dedicated to doing so, and that would hurt the community.

It is up to staffers and volunteers to make sure that doesn't happen.

Now on to addressing issues of respect...

Users who are punished for violating the rules are given plenty of respect. When users are punished in game or on the forums, we do not publicize the reason or name and shame you or drag you through the mud. We handle it privately (your warning points are only visible to you and moderators, your suspension reasons are only visible to you and customer support staff). However if you come onto the forums and start openly posting "Omg I was banned for no reason!" when there was most certainly a reason then your thread is going to get locked or removed. In the case of Glen's response to a thread, the user made it blatantly obvious what they were banned for--the reason for their ban was no longer a private affair between them and support staff--and their refusal to acknowledge that what they said was a derogatory slur or comment likely made it clear to Glen that they hadn't learned the lesson of what is and isn't acceptable behavior, which prompted Glen to increase the suspension duration. Users who have no regard for the rules will find no place in this community.

There is no "Trial" or "Jury" process, users are never "Accused" of violating the rules, innocence or guilt is determined by the evidence at hand, and users are not punished unless the evidence clearly determines that a rule violation has occurred. If you're suspended from chat by the kickbot or banned by a member of the support staff, you broke the rules and have to now deal with the consequences--you aren't "accused", you are convicted. Going onto the forums to complain about your chat suspension (or other form of suspension) serves no purpose, and it will be shut down. Going onto the forums and then starting a smear campaign against DE Staff or moderators as retaliation for your punishment will be shut down even harder (read: forum warning points and/or suspensions).

Now, you might say "But Warframe is supposed to be inclusive! You should be inclusive and accepting of people who are racist/sexist/disrespectful!" but unfortunately as an inclusive community those are people we cannot tolerate, wherein lies the paradox of tolerance. This image will break it out more cleanly than I could with text:

DMB1c2xVoAAvsaj.jpg:large

And it is in that regard that the "The rules are open to interpretation" excuse does not hold much ground. "But where I'm from, that's not a racist/sexist/derogatory slur, and therefore isn't disrespectful and I should be allowed to use it however I want!" will not excuse your behavior; allowing someone to use it as an excuse would mean setting a precedent that would allow anyone and everyone to use it as a catch-all get-out-of-jail-free card.

And it is on that note that I'm going to be locking the thread to preserve the existing feedback. I'll bring up the discussions in this thread with the other moderators and hopefully DE staff to see what feedback on the issues of moderation we can feasibly address and possibly implement that would improve the way punishments are issued to users who violate the rules.