Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's With The Influx Of Strategy Games?

Aspari

Most of the games I see come out on Steam for months now have been strategy games. I decided to give them a shot but I honestly can't stand to play those RTS games. The only strategy game that came out since I've noticed this trend was XCOM: Enemy Unknown. 

I know people love RTS games but I'm seeing more RTS games (specifically Indie RTS games) now than I did FPS games when everyone was complaining that too many FPS games were coming out during 2010/2011. 

(We're still lacking in the space combat department. Strike Suit Zero was awesome but I wish there was more.)

May I ask what this has to do with Warframe?

I realize this is in Off-Topic, but still.

Ehhh... but still what? This is offtopic, I don't see any problem.

On topic (lol), For a while prior to this I saw a long slump in new strategy games, and there still aren't really that many triple A ones. I'd call this the start of a comeback.

Edited by Crossflip

Most of the games I see come out on Steam for months now have been strategy games. I decided to give them a shot but I honestly can't stand to play those RTS games. The only strategy game that came out since I've noticed this trend was XCOM: Enemy Unknown. 

I know people love RTS games but I'm seeing more RTS games (specifically Indie RTS games) now than I did FPS games when everyone was complaining that too many FPS games were coming out during 2010/2011. 

(We're still lacking in the space combat department. Strike Suit Zero was awesome but I wish there was more.)

I've noticed this same trend with Simulation games. It seemed like for quite awhile the Sim department was somewhat lacking, but now you've got Euro Trick Simulator, Farming Simulator, ARMA, etc. (more here: http://store.steampowered.com/genre/Simulation/?snr=1_4_4__12). 

Every few years there tends to be a slight bump in what genre people tend to prioritize. For a good portion of this generation that bump was dedicated to shooters, in the 90s it was fighting games, and in the 80s it was platformers. I honestly would not be surprised if we saw space combat make some sort of resurgence considering the recent success of Star Citizen (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen).

Chances are you won't like most of what some of these genres has to offer, but hopefully you find at least one thing that you do enjoy -- like XCOM. I am not a huge fan of simulation games but I will gladly spend an evening drooling over my controller while driving down a barren highway in Euro Truck Simulator 2.

While fps shooters where the trend, Im a strategy game passionate. I simply loved X-COm, and how it portrayed so well the first of all X-COM, that I used to play in the 90s and always felt that there wasnt many games that fit in that genre well enough.

There is a trend these days, yet good strategy games are so rare, but so rare it disapoints me. :)

Thing is there will never be a way to satisfy all the different consumers, but from time to time certain genres start getting too common and then new genres or old but not so popular ones become the trend.

Warframe kind of fits in, there aint that much good PVE games, and less even Sci-fi ninjaish style and so forth.