Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to actually see in plains at night?

Zaayd

Question

What the topic says. There are many reasons I try to avoid plains of eioldon - crashing when leaving squad to finish a bounty without waiting for squad for example. 

But night time is the big one. I cannot see a thing at night. It hurts my eyes badly. Turning off the volumetric lighting helped the day - the day used to sear my eyes as well, most of the damn ground was black.

But how are people playing at night? I just can't do it. It's awful. Is there some setting or night vision equipment?

As the devs do more to force me to go to the plains like putting the unvaults there, I know I can't avoid the plains forever. So some advice on how to actually go there at night without searing my poor eyes would be great.

6 answers to this question

This is not an insult but a genuine question - are you color blind or have other vision related issues?  I ask because day time in the plains isnt black at all - it is a mix of browns and greens.  At night, it is hues of dark blue and i havent had an issue roaming around. Perhaps the color settings on either your monitor or in game are off?

No, no colour blindness or vision problems - I fixed the daytime in plains of eidolon by turning off a lot of the special light settings. As far as I know my monitor is fine. I can play other games where darkness is a thing like subnautica or doom (though I guess those games do have light tools that you use to deal with it). The game itself feels very inconsistent - while darkness is often an issue in warframe it's never as bad anywhere else as it is on earth at night. Turning off as many light related settings as I could find has helped but it doesn't solve night time. It's pitch black out in the plains of eidolon. By contrast - adjusting contrast (no pun intended) or brightness did not seem to do much, I can heighten what I can see but hurt my eyes with some nasty glare or lower what I can see and have no real effect.

Turning off things like the dynamic lighting was the biggest working stab at the problem - a theme shared with other games too.

I remember someone saying turning on adaptive lighting helped a lot, so I tried that, no joy.

It feels like going back to older games where dark areas tended to be eye searing by design. Remember when people would stick brightness way up in games like counter strike to have an edge at the cost of comfort? Reminds me of that. Darkening the room helps but it's still quite painful.

Edited by Zaayd

First try calibrating your monitor, there are free tools online to do it, but a dedicated calibration tool is better. (maybe one of your photographer/digital artist friends has one you can borrow)

You never realize how crappy your monitor is until you calibrate it and realize it only cost 50 bucks for a reason lol.

Take screenshots and show them to us, that way we can tell what your monitor is trying to show you versus what you're physically seeing.

54 minutes ago, MechaTails said:

Take screenshots and show them to us, that way we can tell what your monitor is trying to show you versus what you're physically seeing.

Seems a good idea; if we sees fine the screenshot you posted, then probably is something related to your monitor (maybe wrong calibration or bad positioning under room light sources for instance); if we see all black and bad, probably is something on your game or graphic card (ie settings or corrupted tile files, for instance)