Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Snipertron Vandel VS snipers

spirit_of_76

I was doing math for fun and made a spreadsheet (yes I am an engineer) comparing the various snipers in a head to head 100 rounds damage competition and found something sad.  The Snipertron Vandel is the second worst sniper in the game and the hardest to acquire with the possible exception of the now vaulted Vectice Prime.  this is sad as it has potential being the only puncture sniper in the game and a buff of an extra 50 damage (1/4 of the total damage) would make it almost as good as its closest MR counterpart the Rubico.   this is sad because despite being 3 MR higher than the Vectice it does 81 less damage this is sad as most of the other stats are average or better than it has the same critical multiplier as every other sniper other than the Rubico a faster reload descent sized mag and better than average Critical Chance (CC).  so why does it not have the damage to back it up.  I see this as neglect in the resent balance changes why was this gun not given more damage or more CC If you want it to be its own thing then give it the highest CC of the snipers 35% cc puts it on par with the Vectice and more than 40% will make it the only snipper that can orange crit with just a point strike.  pleas DE can you make the Snipertron Vandal good currently it barely is worth the MR.  all math is done with the following chart   Weapon math chart 

18 minutes ago, spirit_of_76 said:

I was doing math for fun and made a spreadsheet (yes I am an engineer) comparing the various snipers in a head to head 100 rounds damage competition and found something sad.  The Snipertron Vandel is the second worst sniper in the game and the hardest to acquire with the possible exception of the now vaulted Vectice Prime.  this is sad as it has potential being the only puncture sniper in the game and a buff of an extra 50 damage (1/4 of the total damage) would make it almost as good as its closest MR counterpart the Rubico.   this is sad because despite being 3 MR higher than the Vectice it does 81 less damage this is sad as most of the other stats are average or better than it has the same critical multiplier as every other sniper other than the Rubico a faster reload descent sized mag and better than average Critical Chance (CC).  so why does it not have the damage to back it up.  I see this as neglect in the resent balance changes why was this gun not given more damage or more CC If you want it to be its own thing then give it the highest CC of the snipers 35% cc puts it on par with the Vectice and more than 40% will make it the only snipper that can orange crit with just a point strike.  pleas DE can you make the Snipertron Vandal good currently it barely is worth the MR.  all math is done with the following chart   Weapon math chart 

I believe it is intended to be a rapid-fire sniper, with less damage per bullet but more bullets per second. Not a very good idea in the current game but not an unheard of one in the gaming world.

Snipetron Vandal has a 3m punch through compared to 1m on all hitscan snipers except Snipetron, which has 2.5m.

It has a high combo reset timer compared to reload time.

Snipetron is rarer to farm.

Not all snipers are for quick scoping Eidolons, some snipers are perfect for conga lines.

The Snidal isn't Impact based though. Keep in mind that Impact deals 25% reduced damage to Grineer and Corpus health, which means right out the gate it lacks a damage reduction that the Rubico and Vulkar have against the vast majority of targets. The Vectis has a very mixed set of damage types, which leads to a lessened matchup problem, but also means it doesn't excel against any one thing. What makes the Vectis good is that it has 1r mags (Prime needs Depleted Reload) which means you get Charged Chamber on every shot (+40% damage).

Lanka is 525 electric, not 656 "impact" (fair since you weren't looking at type matchups), has 25% base crit chance for 62.5% crit chance with point strike and no zoom, and has >100% crit chance if at full zoom with Point Strike.

You also applied reload time one too many times for your 100 shots (at least, on the Lanka), and did the really dumb thing of actually calculating it as DPS. Never compare DPS values on sniper weapons. That's not what you're using them for. Always compare minimum and maximum DPH (damage per hit). Multishot helps to stabilize it if there's an RNG component (like on the Rubico, which has an atrocious minimum damage when compared to the Lanka), but it doesn't change that there's a minimum and a maximum DPH for all of them.

And if you're using DPS because of the Eidolons, damage type becomes over-exagerated, as Lanka can go pure radiation and get a +75% vs armor (damage and bypass) and +25% vs health on its entire damage pool (280% Lanka vs 180% Others, same mods).

Personally I'd argue that the Lanka is the only usable sniper rifle in the game due to guaranteed crits, with the Vectis [Prime] being the only other one even close thanks to Charged Chamber.

You're not wrong that on the lower end there's very few things you'd rather use a Snidal for over a Latron series or Arg or Strad. Personally I only keep my Snidal (it's an OG one) around for sentimental value, as there's almost no reason I'd use it over my VP or Arg/Strad for. But you are wrong that it's the worst one. Vulkars are the garbo ones, with a Rubico without a +84% crit chance riven even worse than them. Snidal is still bad, since the bar is low, but it's not bottom of the barrel.

As for buffing it...
Giving it slash would not be a good idea (at least, not until we have a Damage 2.5/3.0) as its once niche right now (vs grineer) would be completely obliterated by that change. Remember that matchups apply both to damage and to armor values, so that +50% vs Ferrite that Puncture has is 50% more damage and 50% less armor if they have Ferrite armor.

If anything I'd just buff its combo meter. Give it a 1-shot base, but keep the 3s decay. Would make it into a combo sniper that can out-combo the Vulkar series but in a different way. Lets them both have a purpose- being combo snipers- just with different damage types as their primary distinguishing feature. Then it's just nerf the Rubico's combo meter so it's just a slotmachine sniper instead of what the Vulkar wishes it was.

Edited by TheBlueJelly