Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reason's Why This Game Is Dying - The Icing Is Wearing Thin - How Can We Save Warframe

pdxdubin

That's right.. I want to start off with a simple metaphor which I will use to describe the game.

A cake.

Now every time DE releases a new weapon, or a new map, That is just "icing" icing that is super tasty and which we all want to have.

It is like an addiction, to rush through and get all of the new content as soon as it comes out.

And this is now DE makes there money, Plain and simple.

Now the issue with warframe currently, is that the "core" of the "cake" is bland and stale..

The initial game play is repetitive and boring.

Enemies are easy to kill, and no matter how strong you get, you will always be able to face roll enemies like nothing.

Bosses are not challenging they are not innovative, And most mission types / game modes are ONLY played when.

Now forcing players to go through and play content that they "don't like"  Just so that they can complete an alert, is not appealing, it is cruel and not satisfying.  And I often find myself repeating the same defence mission over and over, 

Because honestly I don't see what else there is to do.

Once players unlock a majority of the content they find themselves at the top of the chain.

Now once they find themselves here, there will be "nothing" to do but replay old missions, or hang out in clan chat.

The thing that is keeping us appealed to warframe is the content, being released often.  It gives you the week or two of casual game play drive, to go out and earn that weapon, or mod so that you can use it in the future.

You probably often tell yourself "I should get this now, so that I will have it all ready when the time comes I need it"

The time will never come, You are forced currently to build weapons and warframes that you don't actually want, to increase your mastery rank. 

And the only way to continue to increase the power of a weapon / frame, is to use forma.  And this does not even contribute to mastery...

What DE needs to do here, is fix the initial core elements of warframe, without releasing the same stuff frequently.

They need to stop trailing people along on the illusion of content, Just releasing a weapon here and there.

It will get boring, we have enough weapons currently, and this will not continue to keep people hooked into the game.

Not if the core of the gameplay is boring and stale.

The "drive" for power is what keeps us interested, Like in most games, the thing that gets us through the grind, is the end content.

The ability to "show off" to new players how good you are, and to participate in HIGH LEVEL END GAME CONTENT

So once again, metaphorically. This game is like a cake.

We are currently eating the icing, bored to death, over looking the stale taste of the actual cake.

With the mind set that in the future, all this work will pay off for something.

And honestly considering that all we ever do is spam defence missions and kill everything with the same old weapons,

There is not much of a "Bragging" factor in warframe.

it may sound cocky but bragging rights is really important in any online game, otherwise why would you play it?

The Drive for power 

I want to go into details about what I mean by this.

In most games you play, you start off somewhat weak, With a large horizon of expansion and upgrades in the future. 

Now for the most part, if the game play is lacking and you had all of the abilities, items, weapons already unlocked.

Your just going to go through all of the content quickly and get bored with it.

In most games. 

Now in most mmo games there is also pvp.. Which is a HUGE drive to struggle through bland gameplay and repetitive content.

However warframe does not have any pvp it has no end game content whatsoever.

And TONS of suggestions and ideas have been posted on these forums, but I see NO AMBITION from de to actually improve on these things.

Recently I saw the post about remaking some game modes and removing raid's?  I mean.. Its a good start.

and survival sounds nice, But honestly it won't really make much of a difference.

But Like I said, The ride to the top... That is what warframe is.  A grind.  Like with most games, 

It is fun, unlocking and experiencing new content, like any other game it keeps you interested.

But USUALLY after we unlock a fair amount of stuff, and put 300 hours into the game.

You would expect to see some more drastic differences in game play. 

What is actually boring?

Some of you may be caught up in the loop still, the majority of the player base is still playing through most of the missions, and unlocking content, enjoying the exploration side of warframe.

and that is nice.

but what is not nice.

Putting A lot of money and time into a game with no end content.

There are those of us, 1000's of us who are sitting in the lobby waiting for something cool to happen.

Hardly being able to play more then 3 defence missions in a row without falling asleep.

Because I will not lie, this game is BORING as hell.  I'm sorry.

but the reason i'm tying this up is because I want to hopefully inspire someone out there to post a thread or an idea of there own.

Give DE some feedback, or hopefully DE themselves to read this and understand what we are going through.

Details now...

Enemy variety 

Now this is a BIG factor in the boring game play, there is no variety or need of a strategy, Most enemies are pretty much the same. Some of them shoot fire, some of them shoot scorpion claws, and that is all fine and dandy. 

But when your shooting enemies down without even thinking about it, as if its target practice.

There is no immersion there.  None.. It gets too repetitive. 

Now there are some ways to fix this, some ideas I had.

Quality over quantity: I Feel that the zerg rush style of enemies is too half &#!, It really does not feel like your doing anything, and really belittles enemies into boring zerg's.

Sure you die here and there, but that is just because there are so many things shooting at you, that you usually cant even handle what is going on.

And that's not fun.. You cant learn from that and you cant really counter it.

So Like I said There needs to be less enemies, spawning every 2 seconds.

There should be half as many enemies, and they should be much stronger then they are currently.

Weak points should not be as easy to target.

And the AI of the enemies is already great, its almost there.  I would just like to see a little more variety, other then ducking and standing out in the open shooting you.

( Standing out in the open Shooting you )   I mean honestly.. Its like the enemies in this game are mindless idiots who just want to die

LESS ENEMIES, more strategy.  I want enemies to be able to really MESS YOU UP if you make a mistake.

Additionally there is no pause in game play pace.. Its so steady it is tiring.. 

I mean its like a very linear type of action, There are no breaks in pace, no high octane moments.

I want to see some HUGE MUTANT grineer, Meta Boss type thing, That is VERY powerful, and breaks up game play.  

I will go into details on this in a separate section. 

Pace of Game play

Now this is another big factor, The game play move at a snails pace.

There are no highlights currently other then the stalker. 

And when the stalker comes and you freak out, that is WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, and I want to see more stuff like this.

The game needs to be broken up from the generic run and gun style, There needs to be more random events, 

Random mobs.

Or rare enemies.

Like I said, Maybe if you start progressing too quickly, a giant mutant grineer will come out and start beating you around like a bag of potatoes.  

And there also needs to be more variety in enemies, we already have those stupid ground slamming grineer things, but they really don't change the pace at all.

DE you need to go extreme on this, I want to see grineer rolling up in tanks and one shotting team mates,

Higher leveled missions should not be a cake walk, and the rewards should not be either.

I want to replay a mission 10-20 times to learn how to get through it.

I mean honestly when was the last time any of you have failed a mission other then defence..

lol

And about random events, I want to see more of them, Some really cool things, that only a select few people will see.

Mastery Rank and progression

This also needs to be thought out.

If I don't want to buy ember, then it should not effect my mastery rank, I mean honestly everything we do should attribute towards mastery.  Some people may like how it is, but then again.

Maybe there are people out there who like ash, and want to keep playing him, and using the same weapons.

What if they "like that" and they enjoy that about the game?

We keep getting all this extra affinity, and if its not going towards leveling weapons or warframes, then it dam better well be going into mastery.

The time we put into this game needs to show for something, without forcing people to buy all of the boring weapons on the market place, ( which we have too many of )  Just to rank up to 11.  

I don't want to buy a cleaver, why should I?

Now, Progression.  Other then mastery, it really does not exist.

There is hardly any progression in warframe, when literally you can just buy everything off the market place.

Now sure DE makes the money, But that player is going to go through content so quick, there just going to get burnt out.

There needs to be a balance ( like void gear ) of content that cannot be bought, and must be earned.

There needs to be a challenge in this game, something for us to strive towards.

Maybe instead of whole planets, DE you should actually release DUNGEONS OR RAIDS

and not the current raid, I actually mean a NON RANDOMLY GENERATED raid, that will actually be well thought out, and difficult to beat.

I want to see scripted events, and great scenes and highlights of game-play.

Oh I am not organizing this very well.. ( someone will quote this )

Anyways, yeah, I really hate complaining without giving ideas, so in terms of progression.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/92292-accruing-mastery-is-fun-but-not-engaging-enough/

Lumi has a thread about this, going into some more details / personal ideas / concerns.

Check it out if your interested.

Core system:

Maybe the tenno inside the warframe has its own set of mods?  Like a "core" that expands to all your weapons and warframes.

And this core has a set limit, maybe 100 levels. And they need to be VERY DIFFICULT to level up.

And on the core, we can level up attributes, like base health, and armor, and damage and speed.

etc etc, so that we can actually build our warframes, and be more individualized. While using warframes as like actual armors, or bonuses, Or ability sets.

I'm going to cut this off here, since no one will probably read up to this point,

I really do like this game, and I think it has room to become very innovative.

But I don't want to see DE getting stuck in the same pattern of releasing content just to keep players drawn in.

That is the taboo of online games, it happens a lot, and players hardly ever stick to those types of games.

Now here is the TL;DR

its your job as a community to help make this game better, you need to put your neck out and give some ideas,

And DE needs to start addressing these. 

New game modes, concepts, systems and elements of warframe.

I have seen so many ideas, so far. and they need to start being put into consideration.

Because in the future, if all we see are new helmets, and warframes, and capes, and dangly bits.

That is just an expensive cover up, hiding the bland core elements of game play.

DE you need to take a step back now, and look back into the core of this game, instead of just releasing the same old content every now and then.

And I hate to throw this out there, but I would really hate to see pvp being the only thing keeping this game above water.

I would not complain, But honestly if like steve said, They made it so we can duel outside of clans.

The game is going to turn very competitive, and builds are going to start popping up everywhere.

That's fun and all, but it will REMOVE and destroy most of the core pve concepts that have been built into the game.

And I think that these need to be improved first before Warframe moves into competitive game modes.

I know this post may not be the most easy thing to read, or go through but yeah.

Just a rant that I have been wanting to type up for a little while.  

Please if you are going to comment, keep it constructive, lets discuss other things that are bothering us, and discuss the specific issues you have with the game.

and we will hopefully make a thread that addresses everything about this game that defines the term bland.

The cake is a lie.. 

Mf0AWmy.gif

Another well thought out Rant thread, going into some specific details 

This is about key things specifically that you may find bothersome about this game.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/92305-the-mother-of-all-rants

Similarly in this thread I wanted to address some of the deeper / core issues of warframe.

So read them both, and lets hopefully give some of our own personal input in each thread.

==============================================================================

==============================================================================

Condensed List of valid points and concerns, 

Will be updated and moved to a seperate thread in gameplay feedback when it is condensed properly.

-

-

-

Edited by pdxdubin

I've been saying this for a while: The current game's content is nothing more than the third person shooter equivalent to an MMORPG's Instance Mission/Quest. 

+1 for a good read.

Edited by Aspari

Of course the very second I post my rant thread, someone else posts theirs!

Let's merge!

Send Me a PM and I will post it in the bottom of my thread as an expansion.  

This is a real issue and I really do think this game is starting to die out 

I played guild wars 2... A lot, until it died.  I am seeing a lot of the same mistakes / issues here..

Hopefully DE can prevent this from happening, instead of sucking warframe dry and moving into another game..

Because I see that happening in the long term future. 

That was a long read o,o

Ah yes,  a huge random thing coming at you would be awesome, but the first thing some (well a lot) would say? "To OP plz nerf". I like it, but not many will. Over all I liked this read, and you're right on a lot of points.

That was a long read o,o

Ah yes,  a huge random thing coming at you would be awesome, but the first thing some (well a lot) would say? "To OP plz nerf". I like it, but not many will. Over all I liked this read, and you're right on a lot of points.

Well like I think I said.. 

Maybe I did not .

I want these types of difficulty curves to show up in higher levels of game play.

Like in a simple flash tower defence mission.

In the lower levels you only see grunts, and its generic.

But once you get into high levels, you see a huge variety of enemies.

Meaning that once they leave mercury, they will start to see jumps in game play difficulty.

because honestly the entire game is just recycled over 3 tile sets.  There is literally no need for all these planets.. 

There is no variety and no indifference between one planet from another, hardly at all.

It is unappealing. 

Okay, read up. Skimmed over the last quarter. I can agree that Warframe lacks a lot of variety. Some of the content, especially frames, seems to be a little cut-and-pastey. 

I've had a bunch of great suggestions, but they all get buried; There are no unique mechanics for individual frames outside of their abilities (One of my own suggestions, completely wrecks the mechanics of other frames). The missions have no grandiose feel to them, despite the fact that we're a bunch of bloody space ninjas and some of the mission objectives could be expanded. The login rewards don't promote continuous play as well as they should and could be done a lot better,

/shameless-plug

I think the issue might be the fact that DE aren't exactly sure what they want to do with Warframe. They are trying, but the fact that we have so little in terms of lore extremely impacts what they can actually do without causing a $hitstorm.

This is true. 

I was actually kinda hoping that I was the only one who thought this....

However, do keep in mind this is only beta.

Another thread I don't want to start.

Is using the word "beta" as a scape goat. 

Usually when A game is in beta, there are no one time clan events that people in the future wont be able to participate in. 

This game is well out of beta and has been for a while.

This is true. 

I was actually kinda hoping that I was the only one who thought this....

However, do keep in mind this is only beta.

Beta or not, the OP sayeth the truth and I endorse it. I barely play this game anymore, just hanging around for things that might come.

Okay, read up. Skimmed over the last quarter. I can agree that Warframe lacks a lot of variety. Some of the content, especially frames, seems to be a little cut-and-pastey. 

I've had a bunch of great suggestions, but they all get buried; There are no unique mechanics for individual frames outside of their abilities (One of my own suggestions, completely wrecks the mechanics of other frames). The missions have no grandiose feel to them, despite the fact that we're a bunch of bloody space ninjas and some of the mission objectives could be expanded. The login rewards don't promote continuous play as well as they should and could be done a lot better,

/shameless-plug

I think the issue might be the fact that DE aren't exactly sure what they want to do with Warframe. They are trying, but the fact that we have so little in terms of lore extremely impacts what they can actually do without causing a $hitstorm.

Great post, very constructive.

It is these types of criticism and posts that will push warframe in the right direction. 

Usually when A game is in beta, there are no one time clan events that people in the future wont be able to participate in. 

Yet it's still in an unfinished state. DEvs are still adding things, tweaking stuff, fixing bugs. Overhauling the UI, trying to pin down a good trading system. Events are still not perfect.

Calling it Release is a disservice to us as players.

I don't like it when "beta" is used as an escape ether...but it still is in beta. At the same time, it's not? I want to say that the game is leaving beta. Imagine a thing where 1 is alpha and 10 is official release. I want to warframe at 7. The devs are trying to get more people on board to help get this game going, but they're doing it while it's still has these problems. shh ignore I'm just thinking out loud and this place seemed fine to do so,

Great post, very constructive.

It is these types of criticism and posts that will push warframe in the right direction. 

Not really. The suggestion sections are always overflowing with a bunch of swill, so the good stuff gets buried, no matter how hard you try to float it. There have been some amazing things posted (Not all mine ;P) that are just... Lost.

And on "beta"... While companies like PWE use it to take your money with no real responsibility to you, with DE it actually means "Yell at us when something is wrong and we'll fix it".

Edited by Hipolipolopigus

I completely agree. I actually barely play the game apart from going online to activate and donate to rooms for my clan. There is no real end goal in Warframe, no carrot on the end of a inter galactic stick.

Games like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars 2, etc all work because they have a massive world with characters and quests to explore. It keeps the player base going. The problem with Warframe is that instead of a massive, awesome and unique looking world we are been giving a tile set that gets old after a few goes.

The game lacks any form of a story and DE have shot themsevles in the foot by focusing so much on weapons and Warframes instead of doing story focused stuff.

The community events are nice but they are limited by simplicity. Most of the lore stuff is just assets been placed in cool positions and posed in a free frame. Sure it might take longer to make actual episode type animations but I think it would help push the community forwards through interest in the game's world.

Example:

You could have an episode where it starts with the Grineer having some form of a council meeting and bragging about how their location in inpenetrable but then have the Tenno drop in from a distant location where they have to fight to their targets.

The thing I am getting at here is that just using tilesets OVER AND OVER again isn't good enough. DE need to maybe make some focus levels with their tilesets and make the game itself challenging. Basically they should actually make levels themselves instead of just depending on the tile generator to cater to the fans. It is kind of lazy and offensive to the time we put into the game.

As it stands I am pretty much done with Warframe till something MASSIVE happens with the core content and story. Sure a free to play sci fi game is fun where you can control a space "ninja". But to be honest right now I would rather spend £40 on a retail game that can possibly give me 10x the enjoyment than Warframe does and I am actually paying for it.

Also give up with this BETA nonsense. It will be in BETA for eternity like PS Home because stuff is always been added to it. The game will never be a finished product. Stop letting words like that fool you into thinking you are playing an unfinished demo. Review sites have been given permission to review Warframe for months now because it isn't in the type of BETA you think it is. Stop living in denial.

Edited by NoirProxy

Ever played Armored Core 4, Answer, and 5? Yeah... your rant reminded me of all of that... and yet I still played the entire game to the end... and earned stuff... and was satisfied I endured hell... Play the hard levels to get to where you want to go... Nothing wrong with that. Just about every game ever made has a level you play that you will HATE. Because if a game doesn't have a level like some of the things Dark Sector(Stalker, the 2nd Jackal drive, the cyber-tech suit elites, the train yard) Had... then the game becomes dull... with no punishing challenges...

I don't like it when "beta" is used as an escape ether...but it still is in beta. At the same time, it's not? I want to say that the game is leaving beta. Imagine a thing where 1 is alpha and 10 is official release. I want to warframe at 7. The devs are trying to get more people on board to help get this game going, but they're doing it while it's still has these problems. shh ignore I'm just thinking out loud and this place seemed fine to do so,

Well I don't really know what to think.

I don't imagine the game changing much after they magically put the word "release" on it.

and hopefully after that they don't just stop releasing content 

Normally when I see the term "this game is dying", I expect the OP to be a whiner with few actual legit points and the comments section to be filled with flames and fanboy-ism. After actually reading the thread as well as the comments, I'm surprised to see that this is all very organised and reasonable. Faith in the forums partially restored! :D

On a more serious note, pretty much all of your points are accurate. Right now DE is too focused on releasing new content in the form of weapons, tilesets and weekend events that give the impression they were frantically thrown together to appease the playerbase who is getting increasingly bored of the game. While I wouldn't say the game is "dying" YET so to speak, I've noticed that my clan has had signficantly less players online at a time compared to before (I'm Warlord of Lone Rangers, a 1000+ member clan), and I myself as well as a few of the other "hardcore" players of the game who has chalked up A LOT of playtime on the game are finding less and less motivation to play the game. As the OP has stated, while DE is busy pumping out new content in an attempt to keep the game fresh, the CORE of the game is what's extremely lacking, and yet is the most important part of a successful game.

Here's a rant I wrote in another thread about the stale core that is the cake of Warframe, which is also a pretty good thread btw:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/91280-welcome-to-defenseframe/

Right now Warframe is just going in a downward spiral into boredom. It's not just because Defense has become the be-all-end-all of Warframe. Right now almost all difficulty in this game is completely gear-based, long as you have enough time to waste on farming stuff to max mods or get the best gear almost any content is a cakewalk. And then all the hardcores go "I FORMAED MY POTATOED ACRID 8 TIMES! WHY IS GAME EASY??!! TOO EASY!!! MAKE HARDER!!!!", and DE just raises all the sodding planet levels and makes the game even harder, but only numerically, so that solo'ers and people without the LEET gear is locked out from more content, yet the game is still as much of a cakewalk as before for co-opers and hardcores with all the maxed gear. It's been said before that the game pre-U9 was perfectly balanced for solo play, which was why co-op felt too easy. If DE had listened to the right people, they would've known that introducing mission level scaling to player number would have been a much better option, as that would have made the game as accessible as before for solo'ers and non-hardcores, but wouldn't be a cakewalk for all the co-op players, who were essentially playing missions balanced for one player with 4 players and thus 4 times the firepower.

But wait, there's more! Powercreep is becoming an increasingly serious problem in the game. There has always been some gear that were clearly superior to others, and with the addition of the Prime weapons that's becoming even more clear. Why is powercreep bad? Just watch this:

And then there's the fact that a vast majority of the weapons are completely generic and uninteresting, with only a few exceptions such as the Glaive/Kestrel or the lab weapons.

Hell, the gameplay itself is still boring. Most of the enemies are still generic and uninteresting, either relying on sponginess or stunlock to present any kind of difficulty. Why does the Grineer Commander do nothing but switch teleport randomly instead of actually commanding their troops and raising their AI? Where's the Corpus elite snipers who can cloak and throw flashbangs? Where's the flying Infested units that toss thorns from afar?

And then there's the fact that the community keeps getting increasingly toxic and self-contradictive ever since the game got "big". Almost every time I look at the forum, most of the threads are "We're too powerful, give us BB guns instead" or "RUSHARS/DEFENS HEREOS RUININ MAH GAEMPLY EXPREINCE", or something about pvp or the microtransaction system. And then the flames begin in the replies section. Every time a good thread that has actually fresh and constructive suggestions or ones that point out major flaws in the game show up, it gets ignored and soon fades into oblivion, especially those that have wall-of-texts to explain their points in detail, because the average internet user has less attention span than a puppy. Just look at the whole "Nova is OP?" controversy right now. Every time someone suggests a tweak to Molecular Prime, if it doesn't involve insta-nuking an entire defense wave, everyone starts crying that that will ruin Nova and that all frames should have that same level of "press 4 to win" power instead. AND THEN these people complain that the game is too ez mode and the game should be more difficult.

I used to have a lot of hope for this game. I thought it had a ton of potential, and that with the proper nurturing, Warframe could be one of the best f2p shooters in history. Yet with almost every update, i find myself having less and less expectations for the future of Warframe. Look at Update 9, the "polishing" update. Yeah, what did they polish? Nothing but one boss fight and the UI. And the lore i guess. They even ruined the potential credit sink that would have been purchasable resources by making them plat-only instead. And of course after several updates, Nightmare Mode is STILL not a toggle-able option. I've had 450+ hours in this game, I've spent many hours writing concept threads about weapons/enemies/bosses, I've even drawn bloody fanart for the game, but nowadays I just can't find the motivation to play the game anymore. I hope DE can change that soon.

Not really. The suggestion sections are always overflowing with a bunch of swill, so the good stuff gets buried, no matter how hard you try to float it. There have been some amazing things posted (Not all mine ;P) that are just... Lost.

And on "beta"... While companies like PWE use it to take your money with no real responsibility to you, with DE it actually means "Yell at us when something is wrong and we'll fix it".

I know that, And I talked about that in the thread

We are all coming up with great ideas, that may work out well. But I don't see any initiative from DE to take much out of the community. 

Nor Have I actually seen any community ideas being used except for nova which was basically micro managed by DE