Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some feedback regarding the structure of bounties

(XBOX)zorroporro

I'm a veteran, but I took a break from this game just before PoE launched. Now that I've gotten back to the game, I've done some bounties, and I noticed something a little concerning, at least for me.

Nothing about the following is about the rewards or suggested levels. Alright, to the bounties topic. It feels like it doesn't matter what the bounties are. It's a series or random events, and I can't really choose what I want to do, because everything is more or less the same. This is a bit worrying, because I find myself getting extremely bored with bounties because they don't have that certain focus to them. Even the stages themselves feel a little shoddy. One moment I'm told something about a processor, and the next I have to collect materials; and this is within the same stage or "incursion". It fails to connect with me, and it feels like a bunch of ideas just shoved together without much further thought. Everything seems unfocused, which is a shame, because by themselves these little ideas could be better if they had some more meat around their bones. But instead, everything feels like some randomized mess.

When I play something else outside of PoE, the missions are different and more or less consistent with the selected mission type. There is a reason why people like survival or defense, and there is a reason why some people play spy missions. The missions themselves feel like their own thing, and everything in the mission, in context, makes sense. I would like to look at PoE bounties and think, just for once, that "I like this bounty X. It's fun. I enjoy it's mechanics, and perhaps I'll try bounty Y too, because it's fun in a different way".

I have nothing against the idea of this series of randomized events, and in a way it can be fun once or twice, but this should be just a fun extra thing for people that are bored or looking for randomness. Right now it's the rule instead of an exception, and I find myself not wanting to play bounties. If there were a mission in the starchart where capture suddenly turned into survival that suddenly turned into defection that suddenly turned into infested salvage, I would steer clear, because clearly that mission type had no idea what it wanted to be in the first place, and I'd get no satisfaction in playing such things.

TL;DR I think the bounties are too randomized, the mission logic within the same incursion/stage can be weird and unappealing, and the different bounties don't have enough of personality of their own for me to WANT to play them, because I don't quite know what I'll get. I hope DE will make the bounties differ from each other, and have them make more sense. I'm not advocating against these randomized missions to go away, because some people most definitely enjoy them, I'm only looking for a reason to enjoy some bounties as worthwhile activities for their mechanics and tight gameplay approach, which isn't happening right now. 

I didn't mean to be too harsh, and I appreciate tons of things in this game, but I felt compelled to give my feedback about these matters. The more enjoyable game modes there are for their mechanics and tight design alone, the better Warframe is for it. I know PoE has only been around for a few months, and I certainly understand the amount of work DE puts into this game, but these were my gripes. I rarely criticize anything on these forums anymore, but I know DE can do so much better, and I know they absolutely have the ability to turn bounties into something fantastic, into tight experiences that differ from each other, without relying on soulless randomization. Thank you.

Edited by (XB1)zorroporro
grammar

I agree with the OP that something feels "off" with the bounties.  And it could (for me) be the sum of many small things adding up to distaste.

• No matter the tier, they all feel the same.  No matter the description, they all feel the same. Star map I can choose from a variety of mission types and just do what I want to do to get what I want.
  • Loading times - wait in hall for other, wait in all to get gates open, bounce to konzu, wait in hall to load back in etc.
  • Constant button mashing to get from gates to first objective, then next, then next.  The worst part of an exterminate is when the map system decides the next enemy is 500m behind you, then after dispatching him, 500 meters in front, then behind.  Luckily that happens infrequently.  But that is the very description of every bounty.

The rewards - well - there is no "fixing" that. the same is true of regular star map missions so while they do feel unrewarding as I personally don't need anything they drop, the same is true for the majority of the missions.  I guess a difference there is PoE resources have no carryover to non-poe content - not much  integration. (and vice-versa)

1 hour ago, (Xbox One)Tucker D Dawg said:

I agree with the OP that something feels "off" with the bounties.  And it could (for me) be the sum of many small things adding up to distaste.

• No matter the tier, they all feel the same.  No matter the description, they all feel the same. Star map I can choose from a variety of mission types and just do what I want to do to get what I want.
  • Loading times - wait in hall for other, wait in all to get gates open, bounce to konzu, wait in hall to load back in etc.
  • Constant button mashing to get from gates to first objective, then next, then next.  The worst part of an exterminate is when the map system decides the next enemy is 500m behind you, then after dispatching him, 500 meters in front, then behind.  Luckily that happens infrequently.  But that is the very description of every bounty.

The rewards - well - there is no "fixing" that. the same is true of regular star map missions so while they do feel unrewarding as I personally don't need anything they drop, the same is true for the majority of the missions.  I guess a difference there is PoE resources have no carryover to non-poe content - not much  integration. (and vice-versa)

shh...DE is already considering making regular items take poe resources to build, please don't encourage it any more than that.

to me bounties just dont feel rewarding at all do to there drops being so inconstant. at times and its a majority of the time the the vaulted relics drop way too little if not at all, they feel too diluted with way too much other stuff. i'd say as a suggestion to have bounties for the vaulted stuff all on there own dedicated to their respective eras. or maybe have them drop not only in the bounties but rather in like the void or the derelict. to me its not about the random stuff that happens but rather its variety, here theres no veriety and just one way besides farming synicates and thats just as if not slower then the bounties.

its not fun getting three Auger Messages in a row and nothing i can actually use.

Edited by (PS4)kingdomkey599879
more info

I agree, at the current moment, PoE feels entirely and poorly rushed, uninteresting after a week of play, and so entirely cumbersome, that I don't even want to play here. Now that they've yet again, nerffed the reward table, making relics nearly impossible to obtain, (I shouldn't be spending over an hour playing and not receiving relics). This all feels like a backdoor to inflating the value of the relic's so to sell more platium as the cost of the relic drops increase with the scarcity of the relics.

stuff like this makes me wonder if dev companies ever break out a spread sheet and figure out expected returns for say an hour of play. Do they bother to use the same calculations used by the engine for drops? Do they actually run an hour of gaming simulating a semi choppy network or glacial gate transition times?