Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

War Within shows that Destiny 2 didn't need to be a sequel.

zoobmer

spoiler warning: for obvious reasons, assume there will be spoilers for The War Within (Warframe) and The Red War (Destiny 2) in this post.

Spoiler

Destiny claimed to be a 10 year plan, which sounded like they were saying they were saying they would release expansions for the same game for a decade. then, suddenly, they released Destiny 2 a third of the way through that plan. on the surface it makes sense: players lose their light at the start of Destiny 2 and have to earn it back. at least... it would make sense if Warframe had not released a similar quest around the same time.

upon entering The Queen's Fortress in The War Within, The Tenno loose their Transference, which is functionally the same as The Guardian losing their Light. yet, the quest was an expansion, and Destiny 2 was a sequel.

in the end, each franchise did what works for their business model. Warframe uses a Free to Play model, and is officially still in beta after years. Destiny, on the other hand, follows a Premium model, and officially releases as a complete game and later releases expansions. this makes it hard to discredit either one's choice regarding these quests, since the two simply function differently.

once we know this, the goal in making Destiny 2 a sequel becomes clear: it was not for narrative purposes, but rather it was for revitalizing the series. expansions like The Taken Kind could not create buzz outside of the existing player base, despite strengthening the series like never before. releasing a sequel caused content creators and critics to talk about the renaissance the series was going through in ways they simply did not with expansions. this in turn got newcomers to pick up the series, which revitalized the franchise.

Edited by ZBanx
edited spoiler warning

5 minutes ago, ZBanx said:

spoiler warning: for obvious reasons, assume there will be spoilers for The War Within (Warframe) and The Red War (Destiny 2) in this post.

Reveal hidden contents

Destiny claimed to be a 10 year plan, which sounded like they were saying they were saying they would release expansions for the same game for a decade. then, suddenly, they released Destiny 2 a third of the way through that plan. on the surface it makes sense: players lose their light at the start of Destiny 2 and have to earn it back. at least... it would make sense if Warframe had not released a similar quest around the same time.

upon entering The Queen's Fortress in The War Within, The Tenno loose their Transference, which is functionally the same as The Guardian losing their Light. yet, the quest was an expansion, and Destiny 2 was a sequel.

once we know this, the goal in making Destiny 2 a sequel becomes clear: it was not for narrative purposes, but rather it was for revitalizing the series. expansions like The Taken Kind could not create buzz outside of the existing player base, despite strengthening the series like never before. releasing a sequel caused content creators and critics to talk about the renaissance the series was going through in ways they simply did not with expansions. this in turn got newcomers to pick up the series, which revitalized the franchise.

in the end, each franchise did what works for their business model. Warframe uses a Free to Play model, and is officially still in beta after years. Destiny, on the other hand, follows a Premium model, and officially releases as a complete game and later releases expansions. this makes it hard to discredit either one's choice regarding these quests, since the two simply function differently.

1. This thread belongs on a Destiny forum, not here. This is a complaint thread about Destiny 2, a game which Warframe isn't.

2. Regarding your conclusion, here's mine: Activision-Blizzard and Bungie are greedy bastards, and that's the reason Destiny 2 happened the way it did.

1 minute ago, Gabbynaru said:

1. This thread belongs on a Destiny forum, not here. This is a complaint thread about Destiny 2, a game which Warframe isn't.

actually, I think it belongs on both forums, since it compares and contrasts the two games. I also posted it on the Bungie

2 minutes ago, Gabbynaru said:

2. Regarding your conclusion, here's mine: Activision-Blizzard and Bungie are greedy bastards, and that's the reason Destiny 2 happened the way it did.

yeah, Activision, is, after all a AAA publisher, whereas Warframe is AA game. it shouldn't be surprising that they do things differently.

Destiny 2 was supposed to be a reset correcting the problems that the first game had because of its troubled development.
it actually did work and most people liked it, but shady business practices completely ruined anything that was built up
it was mediocre at best but had some really nice swing room to evolve with DLC and Expansions
Destiny 2 was never really a bad game to begin with, suits ruined it.

It makes me sad because I just love the lore in Destiny, but hate the games.

Edited by Ahcruna

1 minute ago, ZBanx said:

actually, I think it belongs on both forums, since it compares and contrasts the two games. I also posted it on the Bungie

yeah, Activision, is, after all a AAA publisher, whereas Warframe is AA game. it shouldn't be surprising that they do things differently.

I dunno, focusing on Destiny 2 and mentioning Warframe by proxy doesn't seem like it focuses on WF that much, therefore not warranting a spot here. But hey, you do you.

I'd prefer Warframe be called indie, as the Triple A industry these days just stands for a-holes. That said, there are Triple A games and publishers that do things the right way. Destiny 2 and ActiBlizzBungie aren't one of them.

1 minute ago, Ahcruna said:

Destiny 2 was supposed to be a reset correcting the problems that the first game had because of its troubled development.
it actually did work and most people liked it, but shady business practices completely ruined anything that was built up
it was mediocre at best but had some really nice swing room to evolve with DLC and Expansions
Destiny 2 was never really a bad game to begin with, suits ruined it.

It makes me sad because I just love the lore in Destiny, but hate the games.

as I said, it was to revitalize the series. 

I dunno, focusing on Destiny 2 and mentioning Warframe by proxy doesn't seem like it focuses on WF that much, therefore not warranting a spot here. But hey, you do you.

I'd prefer Warframe be called indie, as the Triple A industry these days just stands for a-holes. That said, there are Triple A games and publishers that do things the right way. Destiny 2 and ActiBlizzBungie aren't one of them.

I think it would be better to let a community moderator to decide if this post is in the wrong section. Worst case scenario, this might get move to https://forums.warframe.com/forum/14-off-topic/. If you feel it belong there, flag this post so a community moderator will move it to the appropriate section if required.

neither one is mentioned by proxy. the post is all about comparing and contrasting Warframe's decision to release The War Within as an expansion Vs. Destiny's decision to release The Red War as a sequel. the post would not be possible unless both of those had released.

2 minutes ago, Ninjamander said:

I think it would be better to let a community moderator to decide if this post is in the wrong section. Worst case scenario, this might get move to https://forums.warframe.com/forum/14-off-topic/. If you feel it belong there, flag this post so a community moderator will move it to the appropriate section if required.

yes, thank you.

2 minutes ago, ZBanx said:

as I said, it was to revitalize the series. 

Sort of, yes, it was mostly technical issues with how the old game was setup, and that it was also on an old generation of consoles.
I remember one of the devs mentioning that just a slight move of a crate in a map would eat up a whole nights worth of processing to compile the map
with the old tools, and when checking in on it in the morning they just hopped that it hadn't crashed while doing so.

10 minutes ago, Ahcruna said:

Sort of, yes, it was mostly technical issues with how the old game was setup, and that it was also on an old generation of consoles.
I remember one of the devs mentioning that just a slight move of a crate in a map would eat up a whole nights worth of processing to compile the map
with the old tools, and when checking in on it in the morning they just hopped that it hadn't crashed while doing so.

hunh? well I guess that would just be revitalizing it from a technical standpoint as well. point is, the reason for it was neither narrative, nor malicious. it's just what they felt they had to do to revitalize the franchise. also, being officially still in beta is why DE can