Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

freezing with audio still present

brokenfate991

I have the same problem for a year now but still there is no fix to this, seriously all I want is just to get positive experience from the game but because of this problem I cannot do long runs because I afraid that i'll lose all my rewards or I can't enjoy quests and lore because the game freezes.
I really hope that DE will fix this problem soon because if not that will mean that DE don't pay any attention to real problems that players have and they don't mind that a single problem (that can be solved if you will focus on it) can ruin the whole experience from the game.

Edited by hons

Same issue, the game started to do that stuff (black screen with audio) and driver crash, game worked fine for a months or 2 and then started to crash the video drivers and do black screens.

tried reinstall the game, clean driver uninstall and try older driver. nothing changed.

same problem here. for me the problem mainly occurs during endless missions (3x Excavation, 2x Survival).  had this crash only once in a short mission - as far as i can remember.

game stutters a few times then freezes up.sound remains for routhly 30sec to a minute.  in my case, according to task manager, the game goes to "INACTIVE" but for some reason uses up 100% of my CPU while doing so. GPU load goes down to 0% for Warframe.

only method to get the system working again is by restarting or if i am too slow the RESET button. every driver and all software are up to date. hardware also manages every stresstest i throw at it (eg Prime95, furmark, unigine, 3d mark, Everest, [Ark Survival, Space Engineers 😄]...). while playing Warframe nothing gets hotter than ~55-60°C. -  tried everything i could think of to stop the freezeup from happening again -  without sucess so far.

MSI X99S SLI PLUS

Intel 5820k @4,2GHz

32Gb Corsair Vengance RAm @ 2666MHz

ZOTAC Gtx 1080ti AMP Extreme @1645MHz (underclockied), @2000MHz (baseclock) and @2050MHz (OC)

Samsung SSD 840 EVO

Windows 10 64bit

to me the crash seems a bit like: GPU:"meh, ... can't be bothered... here take this CPU. I'll go for a drink."

most porbably it is some sort of softwarglitch that needs to be resolved by DE. i can exclude any hardware issue on my side.

wild guess: its some issue between the Gtx9xx/10xx series drivers and the game software.

Edited by Sundjasksya
wrong hdd - corrected

I am having this issue, exclusively in cetus, or with groups in PoE or missions.  Will also sometimes completely lock up on the loading screen before the mission starts, eventually get in, then get disconnected from all my squad mates.  However loading the mission solo, all is fine and good.  It's really frustrating for me.

This is what i wrote to support:

Ever since the revenant update, I've been getting "Network Not Responding" notifications and the game has been hard locking up regularly. When in cetus, in a mission, the game will freeze for 10+ seconds, and I can click the game window and get a prompt to kill the process, but if I wait, the game eventually resumes. However, if I'm with a group, I'll immediately be hit with the "Host Migration" pop up and then lose my group.

I've tried everything. Verifying/Optimizing in the launcher options, tuning down graphic settings, reinstalling the game to another M.2 SSD, restarting my modem/router, and probably some other stuff I can't think of now.

It's really getting frustrating because I'm 51 days into this game. I love it, and now this is happening.

* Windows 10 
* GTX 1070 
* i7-7700k 
* 32GB DDR4 
* Installed on M.2 Samsung SSD 
* Happens in borderless and full screen, Vsync On 
* Graphics can be maxed, or on default high setting 
* FPS is usually in the 100s+ 
* This is the ONLY game doing this 
* Does not seem to happen when alone in my landing craft, just public missions, cetus, or group poe

Here's a pic of what happens

Edited by RealSkinnny

• 2 weeks later...

This's been happening to me too since the dreaded Fall Creator Update to Win 10, but it's unlikely to get Microsoft to do anything about it.

For those suffering from these crashes:  Restarting my computer right before playing Warframe and not having any other programs running help reduce the frequency of crashes, but nothing stops them.

If any tech support read this:  They became less frequent over time until Update 22.18, then they became very frequent again, and have been fluctuating between every other mission to maybe once a week.  At this point it's happening once every other day.  I've run stress tests on what feels like every part of my computer, and they all come back fine, including that cat donut one in the "Diagnosing system crashes" pin. I'll have Resource Monitor up, and nothing goes over 20% usage, when it crashes, graphics usage spikes momentarily then drops to 0%.  The game continues to run in a way that seems fine, you can still shoot and move if the audio is to be believed, but hitting the screenshot button, though it'll make the camera noise, won't make an image file.  The game doesn't crash, so no crash error logs are produced, only the graphical portions crash.

Edited by Arkinvas
monitoring the problem closer

Same here. .

PC used
Motherboard - ROG MAXIMUS X HERO (WI-FI AC)
Processor - Intel - Core i7-8700K (All cores synced @ 4.7)
System Memory - Corsair VENGEANCE® LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
Graphics Card - Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX
Storage - Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB
Power Supply- EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W

I have tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling. Still does it!

Nvidia drivers i have tried ->385.26, 388.71, 391.35, 398.36, 399.07, and 399.24. Still does it!

turning down the graphics and not using my overclock. Still does it!

Using DX 10, 11, or just having them both checked off. Still does it!

I don't know what to do anymore, this is the ONLY game i play that does this. . The weird thing is that there is no temp spikes, no down clocking, and no frame drops. It just randomly freezes the screen but the game is still running normally. There was even a time a teammate had to guide me to extraction through Discord so i can at least finish the mission.

This is a silly mess that i would love for them to at least acknowledge.

So my game was running fine the last couple days but then starting last night close to midnight I crashed for the first time so I went to bed. Today I have crashed over 10 times. Event viewer reads "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.". I have tried turning my GPU particles off, Disabled steam overlay, same issue. The game is currently unplayable for me in the state its in. I have completed successfully about 20% of the missions I have tried today otherwise it crashes out. Please tell me there will be a fix soon because otherwise there is no way I am playing this game.

I had the same issue and I checked my Event Viwer in widows and I saw I had a 10016 error. I decided to search it up and from a bit of sleuthing it can cause PC freezes like the ones we're having here. I followed a guide to attempt to fix it but haven't tested it yet. Could any of you guys open up your event viwer then go to window logs and system and see what errors you may be having?

On 2018-09-18 at 6:59 PM, Trixx- said:

I had the same issue and I checked my Event Viwer in widows and I saw I had a 10016 error. I decided to search it up and from a bit of sleuthing it can cause PC freezes like the ones we're having here. I followed a guide to attempt to fix it but haven't tested it yet. Could any of you guys open up your event viwer then go to window logs and system and see what errors you may be having?

Yes, but this seems to be independent of when the freezes happen, and is an error related to either windows store or defender and firewall not being able to connect with microsoft servers.

I've been keeping event viewer open while playing since you mentioned this though, and is related to "nvlddmkm" crashing, which explains why this's only happening to people with NVidia cards, but it could be an issue with vsync, even turned off vsync and specific monitors.  I'm going to try seeing if vsync was turned on in an update, turn it off, and see if that fixes anything.  According to an article I've found, it could be an issue related to power supply not giving enough power to the video card... though I remember calculating Wattage budgets and being fine when I build my computer... I maybe should consider replacing the power supply on my rig though, it's probably a decade old by now.

On 2018-09-18 at 9:59 PM, Trixx- said:

Yes, i see that error there.

2 hours ago, Arkinvas said:

Yes, but this seems to be independent of when the freezes happen, and is an error related to either windows store or defender and firewall not being able to connect with microsoft servers.

I've been keeping event viewer open while playing since you mentioned this though, and is related to "nvlddmkm" crashing, which explains why this's only happening to people with NVidia cards, but it could be an issue with vsync, even turned off vsync and specific monitors.  I'm going to try seeing if vsync was turned on in an update, turn it off, and see if that fixes anything.  According to an article I've found, it could be an issue related to power supply not giving enough power to the video card... though I remember calculating Wattage budgets and being fine when I build my computer... I maybe should consider replacing the power supply on my rig though, it's probably a decade old by now.

I have Vsync off and i should have enough wattage but this damn thing keeps happening. Just downloaded Driver 411.63 so hopefully it wont be so bad. I did notice that when i have a browser up while playing can cause it to freeze most of the time but when i am just playing without anything other then warframe running it will take like 3-4 hours before it freezes the screen.

Edit #1

Just froze. . I think it might be happening because of the browser, cause when it is up my GPU down clocks to 1647 when it should be at 2100. (Using google chrome btw) Idk if this matters but i am also plying in border-less full screen 

Edited by NinjaRican

2 hours ago, Arkinvas said:

It doesn't hurt to still try and fix it. I follow 2 guides on fixing it and I'm still in the middle of testing so I can't bring a conclusion yet.

1 hour ago, NinjaRican said:

Yes, i see that error there.

I have Vsync off and i should have enough wattage but this damn thing keeps happening. Just downloaded Driver 411.63 so hopefully it wont be so bad. I did notice that when i have a browser up while playing can cause it to freeze most of the time but when i am just playing without anything other then warframe running it will take like 3-4 hours before it freezes the screen.

Edit #1

Just froze. . I think it might be happening because of the browser, cause when it is up my GPU down clocks to 1647 when it should be at 2100. (Using google chrome btw) Idk if this matters but i am also plying in border-less full screen 

There are 2 guides that I used to try and solve the issue. Error 10016 seems to be consistent with system freezes for many others so I would reccomend attempting to fix it. If you'd like I could PM you the two I used.

8 minutes ago, NinjaRican said:

https://shauncassells.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/windows-10-event-10016-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid-d63b10c5-bb46-4990-a94f-e40b9d520160-and-a/

Follow that step but when it says change to admin, change it to the one the event viewer says it doesn't have permissions.

This was the second part I did. Change localserver to whatever doesn't have permissions like the previous one.

I can't guarantee this will work as I'm still testing to see whether I will crash or not. My crashes varied in the times it will crash so it will take awhile for me to be certain but it is better to try something then just continuing to let it happen in my opinion.

Edited by Trixx-

3 hours ago, Trixx- said:

https://shauncassells.wordpress.com/2015/09/28/windows-10-event-10016-fix-the-application-specific-permission-settings-do-not-grant-local-activation-permission-for-the-com-server-application-with-clsid-d63b10c5-bb46-4990-a94f-e40b9d520160-and-a/

Follow that step but when it says change to admin, change it to the one the event viewer says it doesn't have permissions.

This was the second part I did. Change localserver to whatever doesn't have permissions like the previous one.

I can't guarantee this will work as I'm still testing to see whether I will crash or not. My crashes varied in the times it will crash so it will take awhile for me to be certain but it is better to try something then just continuing to let it happen in my opinion.

This is like way over what i know about computers but i did what the link and video said to do. I will post when i computer blows up or the freezing stops. lol

I will double check what i did tho cause i was fumbling about while i was doing it. (Did the steps in the video then the article you linked)

52 minutes ago, NinjaRican said:

This is like way over what i know about computers but i did what the link and video said to do. I will post when i computer blows up or the freezing stops. lol

I will double check what i did tho cause i was fumbling about while i was doing it. (Did the steps in the video then the article you linked)

Never hurts to learn something new about your computer. Let me know if you still crash, I'm still testing as well, I might have some different methods that might help you.

21 hours ago, Trixx- said:

Never hurts to learn something new about your computer. Let me know if you still crash, I'm still testing as well, I might have some different methods that might help you.

I don't know if that tutorial is out of date or pushing their own software, but you can, at least in Win 10, edit ownership straight from registry editor.  I should also not that I don't know if the inbuilt fix is better or worse.

Edited by Arkinvas
clarity

I've found a solution to this that may help some, but isn't a solution... I've only done one day of testing so far, but it seems to work.  I uninstalled the steam copy of Warframe, and reinstalled it from the copy on the site.  I've had problems with Steam's overlay before, but none quite like this... and this might be a Steam browser issue.

• 2 weeks later...
En 23/9/2018 a las 1:11, Arkinvas dijo:

I've found a solution to this that may help some, but isn't a solution... I've only done one day of testing so far, but it seems to work.  I uninstalled the steam copy of Warframe, and reinstalled it from the copy on the site.  I've had problems with Steam's overlay before, but none quite like this... and this might be a Steam browser issue.

I tried using the standalone in the waframe.com and still freezing too

Try using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to completely uninstall your GPU drivers and then download them fresh from Nvidias website to reinstall (this usually fixes any GPU related issues inside Warframe)

If that doesn't fix your black screen issues then check this out:

Go and check event viewer to see if you can find something similiar to this should be under Windows Logs / System, search through the list to find a message like this...

6j3QcpR.jpg

If you do then it is a TDR crash.

Timeout Detection Refresh or 'TDR' is a feature of Windows 7 and above that is supposed to prevent premature BSODs caused by system lag. So when something starts to create too many errors for too long it refreshes the GPU driver causing the black screen in warframe, even though the game still runs and your hear the game sound, etc.

Windows TDR delay by default is set to 2 sec. However, you can maybe fix the problem by increasing this delay to 8 or 10 seconds

Open regedit then -
Navigate to -
H_KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ ControlSet \ Control \ Graphics Drivers.
Right click on the open field and click on New / DWORD (32bit) Value,
Then name it:  TdrDelay -> double click it to open -> Set the hexadecimal value to 8.

This is what worked for me long ago when I use to have the same issue, though I haven't had this happen to me for a LONG time. Hopefully this'll be helpful to some of you.

On 2018-10-07 at 1:38 PM, asvenice said:

I tried using the standalone in the waframe.com and still freezing too

Yeah, after awhile, same.  It's cut down the crashes, but they still happen.  Today I got a different error.  I'm going to try the Zenviscerator's fix...

hace 1 hora, Arkinvas dijo:

Yeah, after awhile, same.  It's cut down the crashes, but they still happen.  Today I got a different error.  I'm going to try the Zenviscerator's fix...

I tried adding more delay to the TDR in regedit and didnt work, I can't believe devs still not noticing this

BTW I found if Im in fullscreen the entire pc get freeze so the only solution is force restart but in windowed just the game engine get #*!%ed, seriously this is so annoying