Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Captura Green Screen is still worthless.

Voidforged

I was recently asking if it was possible to make warframes look like this,

Warframe0028.jpg

instead of like this,

Warframe0027.jpg

in the Color Key Scene of Captura, but was informed that it's actually a known bug that has been around since the arsenal was introduced.

I'd love to be able to have the beautiful graphics of the first image as a cutout to be overlaid with any image without having to manually remove the background in photoshop. I'd love to be able to record its animations on the green-screen to overlay other footage, but it looks nothing alike.

Is this ever going to be fixed? It could be such a useful tool to create video intro's and such, but as it is now, it's really just worthless and disappointing. 

Captura.png

Edited by Voidforged

I don't know how much of this actually applies to Warframe but here's what I think is happening.

When you use a physics based engine (which Warframe does) to render a single 3D object in an empty scene you get similar results to what you see in the second image. That's because without other 3D objects in the scene the light can't bounce around and pick up different colors. And the reflective materials such as metal don't look right because reflections don't come out of empty space. So you end up with a Mag that looks very dull and lifeless.

Assuming this is what's happening, what you're seeing there is not actually a bug. It is just the way physics based engines react to a scene that has barely anything in it. So how do you "fix" it? Usually you would fix it by adding a bunch of objects around your Mag but that would block the green screen. So I think the solution would be to allow you to place your Mag in a scene like you see in the second picture but then have the game hide all of those other objects when taking the picture. That way the other objects would still contribute to the lightning of the scene but the final image would only show a colorful and happy Mag.

1 hour ago, Amazerath said:

When you use a physics based engine (which Warframe does) to render a single 3D object in an empty scene you get similar results to what you see in the second image. That's because without other 3D objects in the scene the light can't bounce around and pick up different colors. And the reflective materials such as metal don't look right because reflections don't come out of empty space. So you end up with a Mag that looks very dull and lifeless.

Well, the color background should be an object so the metals should be able to reflect it.

1 hour ago, alepap1995 said:

Well, the color background should be an object so the metals should be able to reflect it.

Not necessarily. If the background is just a green screen then the background itself is not an object. Even though you see it as part of the final image the green screen is just a background layer. It doesn't contribute to the lightning of the scene in any way so it doesn't generate reflections.

Usually there are different types of lighting. Maybe it's just a bug with that.

22 hours ago, alepap1995 said:

One thing I noticed is that it's a box with weirdly translucent walls. While I couldn't OOB (it's a very thick wall), I could see a bit behind it, which just revealed pitch black. Could the skybox have an effect on lighting perhaps?

https://imgur.com/a/34Nzo

Edited by uxx0

Don't know much about captura but if it is tied to the arsenal or adding light sources to part of the green screen world that doesn't seem too crazy to fix. Hope it gets more attention so someone at DE can check it out! Perhaps we can try to at least get it seen by Reb when she reviews potential devstream questions, even if is not brought up on the stream.

Don't know much about captura but if it is tied to the arsenal or adding light sources to part of the green screen world that doesn't seem too crazy to fix. Hope it gets more attention so someone at DE can check it out! Perhaps we can try to at least get it seen by Reb when she reviews potential devstream questions, even if is not brought up on the stream.

2 hours ago, alepap1995 said:

in the patch notes:

• Fixed missing reflections on metal textures in the Color Key Scene.

Nice, there's definitely a huge improvement.

I'm not sure if the bloom is supposed to behave the way it does, because it's barely noticeable, but very happy to have metal textures back.