The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Prime Accessories still 50 bucks?

Fishyflakes

22 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

Demand don't work that simple..lol

Reducing the price of something by $1 may get you 50 more sales but that doesn't mean reducing it by $10 will automatically net you (50 x 10) more sales.

In reality, selling a product at $50 might net you 1 sale for every 5 people. That's $50 from 20% of customers. Reducing it to $10 might only net you 4 sales for every 5 people. That's 80% of player base.

Sounds great, ya? Until yoy realise that's $40 bucks from every 5 people instead of $50 from every 5 people.

There's something known as price elasticity of demand and there's also a reason why demand curves are not called demand lines in economics.

Do your math at $19.99 (what I suggested as an example) instead of the $10 you suggested...

Besides, your analysis implies that we want the bundle replaced with a cheaper alternative, which is far from the truth...

Edited by vvhorus

10 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Do your math at $19.99 (what I suggested as an example) instead of the $10 you suggested...

lol..if you put in arbitrary figures plucked from nowhere, then there's nothing to discuss.

What I given was not factual figures and neither is your miraculous 1,000,000 sales out of 3,800,000 registered users who may or may not even be 100% active.

What I am pointing out is, since you wanna use your figures, dropping it to $19.99 might only net DE 100,000 sales (that is already a 100% increase from the 50,000 you quoted).

Now, do the math with this arbitary figure.

This is what is known as price elasticity of demand.

For eg. A $1 drop with toilet paper may make you buy 2 rolls but it doesn't mean $2 drop in it will automatically make you buy 4 rolls or even 10.

Same for luxury items which is something cosmetics are. A $1 drop might make 10 more buy it but $20 drop doesn't mean it is going to make it 200. It's more like going to be just 50 more.

In the first place, people who are willing and able to buy it at $50 won't care if it drops to $10 or $19.99 but this means that very person is gonna spend less and the increase in sales volume may not cover it.

So, vote with your wallet.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

4 minutes ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

lol..if you put in arbitrary figures plucked from nowhere, then there's nothing to discuss.

What I given was not factual figures and neither is your miraculous 1,000,000 sales out of 3,800,000 registered users who may or may not even active.

What I am pointing out is, since you wanna use your figures, dropping it to $19.99 might only net DE 100,000 sales.

Now, do the math with this arbitary figure.

This is what is known as price elasticity of demand.

For eg. A $1 drop with toilet paper may make you buy 2 rolls but it doesn't mean $2 drop in it will automatically make you buy 4 rolls or even 10.

Same for luxury items which is something cosmetics are. A $1 drop might make 10 more buy it but $20 drop doesn't mean it is going to make it 200. It's more like going to be just 50 more.

Warframe has more than 38 million registered users, not 3.8 million.

I just provided an example for the sake of argument. We could throw arbitrary numbers at each other all day, but I guess we won't get anywhere. DE may have their reasons for not adding additional options for players who do not want to buy the bundles at those exhorbitant prices, but I guess we'll never know. There will always be players who will buy the full bundles, but not everyone will. The reality is that those who don't buy the current bundles simply do not find value or justification vs price. If DE wants to capture those sales, they need to add additional options that provide more value to a higher number of their customers. By creating an alternative bundle with cosmetics only, removing filler content that some players do not want and reducing the price point, they are creating value to the playerbase that will not buy the current bundle otherwise.

We don't have actual sales figures, but we can agree that more options are always good...

53 minutes ago, vvhorus said:

Warframe has more than 38 million registered users, not 3.8 million.

I just provided an example for the sake of argument. We could throw arbitrary numbers at each other all day, but I guess we won't get anywhere. DE may have their reasons for not adding additional options for players who do not want to buy the bundles at those exhorbitant prices, but I guess we'll never know. There will always be players who will buy the full bundles, but not everyone will. The reality is that those who don't buy the current bundles simply do not find value or justification vs price. If DE wants to capture those sales, they need to add additional options that provide more value to a higher number of their customers. By creating an alternative bundle with cosmetics only, removing filler content that some players do not want and reducing the price point, they are creating value to the playerbase that will not buy the current bundle otherwise.

We don't have actual sales figures, but we can agree that more options are always good...

That depends on whose perspective we are looking from.

If we are talking about me, then it doesn't matter because I am buying the full pack either way since I don't have the time to farm and I want the platinum and accessories, so the accessory pack pricing won't affect me.

If we are talking about those who are bordering on buying and not buying, then yeah, sure.

If we are talking about DE and the longevity of the company supporting the game then we won't really know unless we see the figures.

The thing is DE most likely already has some guy or even a department sitting at the desk crunching numbers and setting the price figures based on past sales data.

That's what all big companies do, game developers or not. 

Either way, DE has already said they will make the accessory packs cheaper for unvaultings so if you want this thing to happen for Prime Access too, vote with your wallet.

Do note the difference is that Prime Access are brand new items whereas the unvaultings already have some sales captured during the original Prime Access for those items. Frames and weapons are also farmable so this will eat into the sales of the full Prime Access pack (currently the only way to get Prime Access accessories) as well. This is the financial difference for DE so any price point will take this into account.

So, show DE that selling the accessories alone at a cheaper price is still gonna bring in enough sales to support growth and keep their investors happy by buying the unvaulting accessory packs, and who knows? They might just make it happen for Prime Access too.

We can keep posting forum posts and keep making arguments about all these but if the sales figures don't show them that it is justifiable to their higher ups, it just won't happen.

Vote with your wallet.

Edited by OoKeNnEtHoO

6 hours ago, OoKeNnEtHoO said:

*snipped for space*

We can keep posting forum posts and keep making arguments about all these but if the sales figures don't show them that it is justifiable to their higher ups, it just won't happen.

Vote with your wallet.

You are right regarding how to react but we still have to make these forum posts as a form of feedback.

A sale of an item equates to sufficient satisfaction with the price point and contents, but a non sale could indicate any number of things.
Disinterest in the items contained, perceived lack of value from the contents of the pack, etc.

Granted the feedback forum would be a better place for this to happen, but I think it just naturally flowed into that topic here.

Perhaps they'll have better data to work on when they can compare the sales of a fresh prime accessory pack to the cheaper pricepoint boosterless unvaulted pack which an above poster (I forget who) stated was planned.
That might not change anything in the pricing of fresh prime packs, but it may provide an avenue of access for those fashion hungry types among us who are put off by the higher priceband.