Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Controller UI not working

Mr.Speakeasy

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

So after the 4/5 update I returned from a mission and suddenly my UI for my controller disappeared. Anywhere where it would have a button for me to press was replaced with just quotation marks, the previously existing hot keys no longer work, I couldn't even use the stick to move through the menus, however I can still navigate through keyboard/mouse. When I enter into a mission, the game functions as normal, but at soon as I return from a mission, I am completely unable to move my character until I reload into a new area. I have attempted restoring my setting to default several times, quitting and reloading the game through both normal steam and big picture mode, and uninstalling and reinstalling my controller drivers.

Woof, same issue here.  The odd thing on my end is that the bug didn't happen after I got back from a mission, it started about halfway through the mission which made it somewhat difficult to keep myself alive while I readjusted myself to the KB/M controls, which I avoid using because I get motion sickness in this game while using them.  Really didn't help that it was in the middle of an Archwing alert.

Like the topic creator I tried a lot of troubleshooting, and even tried to use a DS4 with an Xinput wrapper but the bug persisted through all of it.

Having the same problem here aswell. When I press pause I can't navigate through the options or back out of them. Half my gamepad controls show up with weird quotation marks in the UI. I'm on a windows 7 OS using a 360 controller if that matters.

Is there a way to fix this?

Edited by The.Promethean

I am also having a similar problem with controller not working with any menus just as described above.  Mine happened while on the ship.  Tried reinstalling too, didn't work.

I asked on warframe reddit 

for help, and someone suggested, "...go to c:\users\(username\appdata\local\warframe   and save a copy of those files elsewhere in case you need to send them to support.  Delete the ee.cfg file and then launch warframe.  This should default all the controls and settings."

After 2 tries it worked.  Played a mission, and as the mission was ending it locked up again even worse.  Fixed again and decided to log off and then back on.  The UI was broken upon relog.  I assume something is loading up wrong during the transitions/log in.  But I have no idea.

This also just started happening about 6 or so hours ago for me.

Mine too - I used to be able to use my controller to move the cursor around the navigation screen (and use the bumpers to move between missions / alerts / fissures tabs) but now all I can do is walk up to navigation and press X to open it then it defaults to keyboard and mouse.

Same with the main menu - used to be able to at least navigate the first screen with my controller (useful in relays when fast travelling etc) but now as soon as I bring up the menu I can only use keyboard and mouse - I can press start to exit but that's it (even B doesn't work to exit any more). Annoying as I play on the sofa so my keyboard is not always within easy reach (v lazy).

Seemed to start either when I tried to change the HUD scale to make it bigger, or when I changed interface to autodetect controller (probably that last one). Went into settings to see what buttons were assigned and it looks like just A and LB are assigned, and the prompts for all others just show "". Tried reassigning all the buttons in controller customisation but nothing changed.

I also get 3 weird little dots after some menu options if I leave autodetect on and go back to the main menu. Can move the mouse but can't highlight or click any options, and when I move the mouse the dots randomly light up as if I'm selecting them (I'm not).

9ZatwvJ.jpg

r1DDQ5t.jpg

Also

A is the only button that exists apparently

oopwXxX.jpg

AND I just tried to use an item in a mission and couldn't interact with that interface with my controller - so I have to put controller down and use keyboard to put down an energy pizza which is not ideal.

Edited by shliboing
energy pizza issues

Controller's worked fine all day, but then all my buttons were unbound from their menu functions when I tried to change options in the Controller button assignments menu.

Deleting the cfg is the only way to fix it, and trying to change any buttons makes it happen again.

8 ours straight on stream no issues, then we started Having the same issue thought it was me because I was changing some key binds, but after every fix from my end including default settings and optimizing the cache sad and glad to see it is not just me more sad though 

Edited by BebopDragon

Looks like you got here just before I could.  Support also told me the same thing.  However they also told me that after removing those files to open the launcher>click the gear>and then run Verify and Optimize>close launcher>open launcher again and start the game.

But, if it works it works. lol

Thanks for the post, hopefully this resolves everyone's issues.

3 hours ago, TangerineRevenge said:

Looks like you got here just before I could.  Support also told me the same thing.  However they also told me that after removing those files to open the launcher>click the gear>and then run Verify and Optimize>close launcher>open launcher again and start the game.

But, if it works it works. lol

Thanks for the post, hopefully this resolves everyone's issues.

Thanks.  Unfortunately after I did all this the moment I remade my custom button layout it turned into another bug that I saw getting reported when this topic's bug did, which is that the controller doesn't work in menus (including Navigation) now.  It isn't yet showing the empty " " " prompts, and I can still control in gameplay.  But this is still a serious problem.

Edited by Archmortal

This is happening to me too. Started yesterday when I tried configuring my controller's button layout. Fixed it by reinstalling the game, but it happened again when I tried configuring controller. So I guess the real issue for me is this is locking me out of being able to reconfigure my controls.

Back one last time just to confirm that no matter what workaround that's been suggested so far, if you alter whatever current, working controller configuration you have be it custom or defaults at all it activates the bug.  So it is very clearly and specifically a problem with the way the game saves and loads custom controller configurations ever since the 4/5 update.  Looks like all we can do is wait for a real hotfix or deal with the awkward and insufficient defaults.

Edited by Archmortal

The same thing happened to me but it started when i changed "controller interface" to on/auto-detect so im pretty sure thats the thing that broke it for me...its really annoying i hope they fix it soon

I have the same issue as all of you above since sunday. The only way I can play with my customize controls is:

- By accepting that I can't control the menu with the controller by any means;

- By not playing in Big Picture so i can use my mouse to use the menu, navigation, etc.

Such a frustrating bug. Hopefully, it'll be patched soon?

Also, I wonder if our UI broke the moment we alterned our customized controls. I've been using the same customized controls for 5 years or so and I decided to switch a few of them this sunday so I could dash in archwing mode.

I just got this issue when I was messing around with archwing controls. I have been using same customised control for a while too, and only decided to change things a bit because of the new controller support. And now, here I am, crippled out of my comfort zone missing my d-pads and a good few buttons :(

Plz DE gods, notice us and fix for I never had such a gamebreaking bug, for me personally at least...

18 hours ago, AceRogue said:

Also, I wonder if our UI broke the moment we alterned our customized controls.

Yep.  I said "if we change the defaults" in my last post, but that was poor phrasing, I should've said "if you change your current controls at all."  I'll go edit that now.  Customizing it at all is what triggers it, to break completely at first and if you use the current workarounds to at least restore functionality for the default controls, messing with the defaults will take away all menu control.

Also I didn't realize it at first so I never thought to mention it later, but I also triggered the bug by messing with my Archwing controls like REKTifier_ did.  I'm veeeeery early in the game so it was only like the third time I'd ever used the Archwing at all, and it was finally a long enough mission that I could tell the defaults weren't working well for me.