Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Better Boss Battle For Phobos: A Giant Skate [Concept Art Included]

LoveYourEnemy

I find that the double boss on Phobos was not just tedious, but rather boringly familiar. In this thread, i had a befitting idea for our newly discovered dessert planet. 

1097180_499065843508338_1046089160_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1097180_499065843508338_1046089160_o.jpg

(Link if the embedding doesnt work)

The Background:

This boss is a giant dessert skate genetically enhanced and mechanically augmented by the Grineer. They saw the potential in using their technology to control the dessert skates on their outposts on Phobos. They experimented with different hormones to make this Skate larger, and were successful. This boss is equipped with a missile barrage cannon on the back (similar to the ones equipped by the Jetpack troopers), a explosive augmented tail cannon using the natural bolt shooting tips of the tail, and the powerful tail used to crush enemies and create seismic shockwaves. 

The Dynamic of the Boss-Battle:

You will have to make your way through the outpost (like most boss battles) and reach a large open (and relatively empty) area. Suddenly, this giant skate shoots up out of the ground, ready to attack.

- At first, this boss will try to hit you with its tail, occasionally turning towards you so you can shoot it's underbelly core generator (which powers its augmentations). Once it has been shot enough, it will fall to the ground screaming and fire its barrage cannons (which can be dodged) and will bury itself like the smaller counterparts.

- After this, a few squads of Grineer will come to attack you.

- After being defeated, the monster will rise again, trying to attack the same way as the first time. And after being defeated, a few elite units will be called to kill you.

- After these have been defeated, the boss will rise once more and use its tail cannon, and (possibly) try to stomp you with its front "legs" (giving you the chance to shott his underbelly). But when he is using his tail cannon, he will be slightly buried, giving you time to destroy his back barrage cannons. When both have been destroyed he will rise in an angry rage screaming, giving you one last chance to kill him off.

- Once fully killed, he can sink back into the ground, dropping his goodies, and since it is and open air environment, your extraction ship can pick you up from a close by side area.

This was just an idea I had to add a dynamic boss battle to a game where dynamic (and fun) bosses are lacking.

-(Note: I really enjoy this game and enjoy conceptualizing ideas that could make this game more interesting)

-EDIT/ADDITION:

- I got a message from another member in the community saying "...this Grineer skate monster could be a "loot room" equivalent from the void, on Phobos. There would be a cave where the Grineer are keeping it for experimentation, this room would spawn out of the way of the mission objective, but would not be too challenging to find. Tenno would have to hack into the cave, and there would be a ladder leading down to the room where the skate is. This skate could still act like a free beast, because the Grineer are unaware of the Tenno intrusion, thus not controlling the beast. 

This creature would be a cool side-boss and could provide a unique resource drop or blueprint for a new gun or sentinel."

and that since this boss is a Grineer Weaponized Animal, not a political/military figure, that it would not count as an official boss to some people.

-credit to Jamescell

Edited by LoveYourEnemy

having the boss harass you throughout the level instead of just taunt u could be fun. Also having him just revive a cpl times could be too tedious for some people. You could have the middle phase be a totally different fight like having it go totally underground, and you'd  have to coax/knock him out using interactive environmental switches/hacks w/e. 

now i havent seen the bosses yet, but this seems like a cool idea and could be added in later!

If by better you mean obnoxious and drawn out.

Hey Vor as a boss is fantastic. But yeah, putting them together was not only laziness by the devs, but also incredibly tedious.

As for the OP, great idea with far better art than I could manage. Phases could use some more variety though. Maybe have the first phase be it diving in and out of the sand trying to eat you. Then it becomes vulnerable when it gets tired (it's still alive, still needs to rest). Second phase it is buried, firing its tail and whipping you if you get too close, while occasionally tunneling like the little ones. Then final phase would be all out cannons and stuff, trying to stomp you occasionally and revealing the explosive weak point.

Hey Vor as a boss is fantastic. But yeah, putting them together was not only laziness by the devs, but also incredibly tedious.

As for the OP, great idea with far better art than I could manage. Phases could use some more variety though. Maybe have the first phase be it diving in and out of the sand trying to eat you. Then it becomes vulnerable when it gets tired (it's still alive, still needs to rest). Second phase it is buried, firing its tail and whipping you if you get too close, while occasionally tunneling like the little ones. Then final phase would be all out cannons and stuff, trying to stomp you occasionally and revealing the explosive weak point.

I really love your suggestion! When I was designing the boss dynamic, I just wanted a phase based battle, since in the game bosses are just Overpowered bullet sponges.

I...like the idea...

The background doesn't fit. unless Rollers were organic creatures and not just some random machination, I don't see the Grineer being able to control such a beast anytime soon...The boss of this size works better as an Infested, and hence opening us to....A SWAMP STAGE.

Wouldn't that be more appropriate? C:

The background doesn't fit. unless Rollers were organic creatures and not just some random machination, I don't see the Grineer being able to control such a beast anytime soon...

Why not, if we can control insect with a computer chip, Grineer with their robotics and genetics could control dessert skate. It could be their first successful attempt to weaponize a creature on newly conquered planet.

I loved the double boss fight, but I also like your final suggestion that the extraction ship could pick you up right after the battle... and the giant manta ray isn't bad at all. But at the same time I don't want them to remove the tag team battle.

unless Rollers were organic creatures and not just some random machination

Have you tried using Sonic Boom on a Roller? :P

this is the exactly same idea i had the first time i saw that monster on the first map...

i wonder if it was that hard to imagine for DE too...

Considering they were probably rushing to make the new maps available, and we finished the event ahead of schedule, I believe a new Boss was the least of their concerns...

Why not, if we can control insect with a computer chip, Grineer with their robotics and genetics could control dessert skate. It could be their first successful attempt to weaponize a creature on newly conquered planet.

What insects? unless im missing something big here i dont think we ever could.