The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mist - A Rhythmic Gymnast/Ballerina Warframe.

OswaldCobbleThot

Hey guys, I've been tossing around an idea in my head for a new frame. I always liked the way Yondu from Guardian of the Galaxy worked. But I always thought he was too brutish and bulky. I also felt we lacked a real ballerina or Gymnast warframe. So after about 30 days of throwing my ideas at a friend and asking her to critique them, I present to you: Mist. Please critique the idea, let me know what you would change or if you have different ideas for abilities or augments ( I really need an augment idea for the 4 ability.) 

Thanks to Xgomme for some great concept art as well as ability change ideas
Thanks to WhiteCr0w for great in-depth advice on survivability changes as well as overall advice on Mist!

Mist 

Mist is a Gymnastics/Ballerina styled frame who uses a combination of her ball and ability to dance through the fog/mist to dispatch enemies and quickly move around. Her inspiration heavily comes from Rhythmic Gymnastics using a ball, as well as Yondu’s Arrow from Guardians of the Galaxy. The thought was “What if these gymnasts ball could be used in the way that Yondu uses his arrow?”  Here are two videos showing both inspirations.

Rhythmic Gymnastics - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE1wjescoTc

Yondu -https://youtu.be/BpSoEXuN_pk?t=5m40s

The Ball

Mist's ball would likely be slightly bigger than her head. When not being actively used while in Mist's possession the ball will either float idly but randomly around her (to more or less give the ball the illusion of being possibly sentient or AI-driven) or it should float above Mist's outstretched hand, rolling around randomly as if it was looking around. 

When the ball is deployed it would float and bob around its Y-Axis. With the same "Randomly looking around" idle animation it would have if floating above her hand.

Additionally, when the ball is deployed Mist will have a ribbon that she uses for added flair during "ball deployed" animations. It will also be a noticable indicator that Mist's ball is deployed.

Abilities

1 – Ball in Possession: Mist throws her ball at the target closest to the center of the screen (crosshair), Bouncing 0/1/2 times. (Impact Damage)

Ball Deployed: Mist Directs her ball to fling at its closest enemy. Bouncing between targets 3/5/7 times. The ball stays at the location of the last target. (Impact Damage)

Augment: Mists ball bounces 0/0/1 times (1/3/5 if deployed) but now deals its damage in a 1/2/3/4/5 meter area around the target.

Notes: This is just her basic “I have a ball and I want to damage the thing” ability. No nifty tricks, there’s a ball, there’s an enemy face, there’s a ball to the enemy face. Whether or not the ball can hit the same enemy more than once per cast is up to balancing. My opinion on the matter is: The ball can hit the same enemy more than once, but not twice in a row. If the balls only option after a bounce is to hit the same target again then it stops. Also up to balancing, is whether or not the ball will target destructible such as caches during its flight.

2 Ball in Possession: Mist Throws her ball. The ball stops at the first target or object hit, damaging it if it is an enemy. The ball may be picked up by walking over it.

Ball Deployed: Mist orders the ball to a new location, after which the ball will fly directly there, passing through, and damaging enemies on its way. If the ball hits a non-destructible object, it stops.

Augment: Mists Ball now teleports to the new location (instead of flying), damaging targets in a 2/2/3 meter area around both the old and new locations. Explosions have 100% status proc.

Notes: This is Mists ball repositioning skill. Ball over here and you need it over there? Press 2, it will either fly or teleport to the new location. The ball can be picked up again by walking over it. I thought about maybe needing the action key being a requirement to pick up the ball but it would ruin the speed/flow of the game to have to continuously look down and press X or whatever. When the ball is in Mist's possession it idly floats around her, or more appropriately, above her outstretched hand.

3 – Ball in Possession: Mist spins around with her ribbon floating outward. Dealing damage in a wide area around her (4/8/12 meters) and gaining 2/4/6% Evasion

Ball Deployed: Mist disappears from view, reappearing on top of her ball. After which she performs her spin. The ball is picked up.

Augment: Mist no longer deals damage with her spin, but instead shrouds herself and her allies in the mist, giving the group 10/12/15% evasion. and 15/20/25% movement speed.

Notes: I envisioned this ability to be ‘THE’ gymnast or Ballerina move. Mist does a little spin with the ball in her hand, she lets it go and it travels outward in a circle with her doing an expanding AoE over the course of 2-3 seconds. It's also a great mobility and repositioning tool for Mist. I’ll admit the Augment on the ability came from Mirage’s Eclipse paired with Agility Drift.

4 – The Fog Closes in: Enemy view/engage range is severely reduced. Mist’s ball then targets and bounces between any enemies caught in the fog and in the balls LoS (and accessible by the ball)

Augment: I don’t have any ideas at the moment.

Notes: So, this is definitely what gives me the Yondu feel for mist. This link gives the exact scene I saw when I knew what Mists 4 ability had to be. https://youtu.be/BpSoEXuN_pk?t=6m50s .  I mean just look at it. I imagine the ball just dashing from enemy to enemy just smacking them in the face and moving on. I also like the effect that it makes the enemy engagement range shorter. I don’t mean the range at which they are alerted, I mean the range at which they will have to be in relation to your location before they will open fire. I feel like that would synergize with many teams and farms that are currently in the game. I had an Argon farm yesterday where someone complained to another player who was standing in the open of our little dead-end hallway. The player was standing in the middle of the room which caused the ranged enemies to aggro on him outside of our Pilfer Hydroids tentacle range. Although at that point people would have to choose between Mist or Speedva :P

Passive Trait:

When Mist is in possession of her ball she recovers from staggers and knockdowns much quicker. When Mist’s ball is deployed she moves quicker. Walking over the ball will pick it up.

Alternate Passive Trait Idea

When Mist is in possession of her ball she gains 20/35/50% additional shield. When Mist's ball is deployed she moves quicker. Walking over the ball will pick it up.

Animations:

Okay, I have no artistic talent and I don’t know how to do animations or even what program I could design potato animations on. But I vision her casting animations to be more or less little spins. The spins that gymnasts and ballerinas love to do. Her Agile Animation kit could be more gymnast like with handstands and whatnot. Her Noble Animation kit could be Ballerina like with some Pirouettes and Relevés.

Onto the journey of getting devs to see my lovely idea!

Edited by SilverShy
Adding Xgomme's and WhiteCr0w's feedback.

I really like the idea, I'll do a sketch soon and maybe some abilities suggestions since I feel like 1 and 2 could almost be merged

mist.png

Révélation

misdt.png

I added a ribbon, to add something unique to the ability where she controls her ball. And the 3rd could also use the ribbon when she spins around 

Edited by Xgomme

6 hours ago, Xgomme said:

I really like the idea, I'll do a sketch soon and maybe some abilities suggestions since I feel like 1 and 2 could almost be merged

You're right I think they could be merged really well. with them separate it feels like 1 is the attack command and 2 is the relocate command. But I'm actually really interested in hearing what your idea is for merging them. I thought of one way but you might have gone a completely other direction than I have!

il y a 2 minutes, SilverShy a dit :

You're right I think they could be merged really well. with them separate it feels like 1 is the attack command and 2 is the relocate command. But I'm actually really interested in hearing what your idea is for merging them. I thought of one way but you might have gone a completely other direction than I have!

I just posted the sketch.

And for the merging idea :

Imo her passive should include the "if you walk over the ball, you'll have the ball in possession" And her 1 is both attack and relocate. Kinda how Viola's crystal ball is working in Soul Calibur 5. You can ask the ball to attack, to go at the desired direction, to go back to the user, etc

Those "orders" to the ball will have some animations with the ribbon.

Actually there is still something missing to make a fully working kit. I'll think about more ideas and I'll try to make something

5 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

Imo her passive should include the "if you walk over the ball, you'll have the ball in possession" And her 1 is both attack and relocate. Kinda how Viola's crystal ball is working in Soul Calibur 5. You can ask the ball to attack, to go at the desired direction, to go back to the user, etc

I think I get you, more detailed it could be:

if you have an enemy within a certain distance of your crosshair it will be given the attack command, if there isn't an enemy within that distance its given a relocate command.

Or alternatively, single push will be an attack, double push or hold will be relocate. 

As for the ribbon, I was previously thinking it was just using a ball in the Rhythmic Gymnastics field. But having ribbons while the ball is deployed could be really nice as an indicator saying "Hey, by the way, your balls not in your hands"

EDIT: Bonus pooints for LASER RIBBON

Edited by SilverShy

il y a 31 minutes, SilverShy a dit :

--

Mist.jpg

Here's my vision of the kit.

The rythmic gymnastic theme is more present than your original concept, but I feel like it's a cool addition to the visual and logic of her abilities

57 minutes ago, Xgomme said:

Here's my vision of the kit.

The rythmic gymnastic theme is more present than your original concept, but I feel like it's a cool addition to the visual and logic of her abilities

The only issue I have here is it feels too broad scope. With just the ball its specialized like a frame normally would be. The ribbon adds variety without overwhelming it.

Also, we need to find a way to make the "mist/fog" theme more prominent. DE really likes nonhuman themes. (Nova is gravity themed, Mirage is illusion or arguably light themed. Ember is fire, frost ice, volt lightning, rhino is earth like) The idea I have with Mist is that she uses the fog or mist to augment her abilities.

il y a 43 minutes, SilverShy a dit :

The only issue I have here is it feels too broad scope. With just the ball its specialized like a frame normally would be. The ribbon adds variety without overwhelming it.

Also, we need to find a way to make the "mist/fog" theme more prominent. DE really likes nonhuman themes. (Nova is gravity themed, Mirage is illusion or arguably light themed. Ember is fire, frost ice, volt lightning, rhino is earth like) The idea I have with Mist is that she uses the fog or mist to augment her abilities.

Yeah, the hula hoop could be 100% smoke based though, to add more mist and less similarities with Nezha

But the main theme of your frame is the "dance" imo, like Octavia is "music". The smoke themed frame is Ash I guess

2 hours ago, Xgomme said:

Yeah, the hula hoop could be 100% smoke based though, to add more mist and less similarities with Nezha

But the main theme of your frame is the "dance" imo, like Octavia is "music". The smoke themed frame is Ash I guess

Let the fanart of Mist's ball and Octavia's ball roll in!

Hey, this is pretty great. It's a great theme that you've outlined pretty well, and I feel like she could be a counterpart to a Nezha, Octavia, Nova style of play. The abilities you have are interesting and could certainly work in my opinion, especially the Augments. They're actually useful! I feel like a "survivability" ability may be missing however. Nearly every Frame has at least one ability that can buff themselves or squadmates that aid in their survival. Your Augment for 3 with Evasion kind of accomplishes that, but I feel she may need more.

Her 1, 2, and 4 seem great for damage capabilities, especially with the option for AoE/explosive effects with the augments, so I feel there is room for a defensive ability, or perhaps even a strong enemy debuff. I'm having trouble coming up with an offensive ability revolving around gymnastics or a ballerina, so maybe that could be the defensive ability. A large buff to Evasion, parkour speed and wall latch could fit the theme. Maybe even a unique mechanic that while she is performing a parkour movement, she takes no damage, so it could be a minor invuln as well that encourages rapid movement. Just a rough idea!

50 minutes ago, WhiteCr0w said:

Hey, this is pretty great. It's a great theme that you've outlined pretty well, and I feel like she could be a counterpart to a Nezha, Octavia, Nova style of play. The abilities you have are interesting and could certainly work in my opinion, especially the Augments. They're actually useful! I feel like a "survivability" ability may be missing however. Nearly every Frame has at least one ability that can buff themselves or squadmates that aid in their survival. Your Augment for 3 with Evasion kind of accomplishes that, but I feel she may need more.

Her 1, 2, and 4 seem great for damage capabilities, especially with the option for AoE/explosive effects with the augments, so I feel there is room for a defensive ability, or perhaps even a strong enemy debuff. I'm having trouble coming up with an offensive ability revolving around gymnastics or a ballerina, so maybe that could be the defensive ability. A large buff to Evasion, parkour speed and wall latch could fit the theme. Maybe even a unique mechanic that while she is performing a parkour movement, she takes no damage, so it could be a minor invuln as well that encourages rapid movement. Just a rough idea!

I actually like the idea of having defensive stats attached to her parkour movements. maybe even an innate armor or shield buff when the ball is in her possession. That could also give players a decision between throwing the ball out to get some damage or keeping the ball on her person so that they may survive better. Since mists abilities are already significantly weaker when she has her ball in possession I feel like it would be a good trade-off and offer incentive to switch between the two. I'm going to alter the main post with some of these ideas! Thanks!

• 1 month later...