Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scythes feedback on the dev stream changes

Lord_Qrainex

In one of the recent dev streams DE showed an Idea as to how to change scythes, my first reaction was "great they are changing the scythes to be bigger that's exectly what I wanted", but after giving it some thought I realized that it barely changes anything, they are bigger yes but still not a polearm style weapon with a unique fighting style, they are just axes now...

I'd say either keep the old "scythes" and add a new category just like you are planning to do with the nikana and big nikana, or make the old scythes as polarm sized weapons with new stances and animations.

What I feel is missing from the "scythes" in game is the theme and feel of a scythe, right now it feels like a one handed warpick.

Those are just my two cents on the matter.

In one of the recent dev streams DE showed an Idea as to how to change scythes, my first reaction was "great they are changing the scythes to be bigger that's exactly what I wanted", but after giving it some thought I realized that it barely changes anything, they are bigger yes but still not a polearm style weapon with a unique fighting style, they are just axes now...

I'd say either keep the old "scythes" and add a new category just like you are planning to do with the nikana and big nikana, or make the old scythes as polearm sized weapons with new stances and animations.

What I feel is missing from the "scythes" in game is the theme and feel of a scythe, right now it feels like a one handed warpick.

Those are just my two cents on the matter.

11 minutes ago, Lord_Qrainex said:

Yep. Scythe is supposed to be a kind of polearm with wide sweeping strikes. There are so many examples from anime (if talking about some really fantasy stuff). Right now it truly looks like you spinning an oversized pickaxe.

3 minutes ago, FollowTheFaceless said:

Yep. Scythe is supposed to be a kind of polearm with wide sweeping strikes. There are so many examples from anime (if talking about some really fantasy stuff). Right now it truly looks like you spinning an oversized pickaxe.

Because scythe as is not suited as a weapon. If you got actual scythe to attack something, you'll stab otherwise trying to slash would cause not only just shallow cuts, but also easy to lock and deflect from your hands. Weaponized scythe is a polearm like Tonbo.
My guess DE wanted to avoid adding another polearm so they shrink it.

1 hour ago, RobWasHere said:

Because scythe as is not suited as a weapon. If you got actual scythe to attack something, you'll stab otherwise trying to slash would cause not only just shallow cuts, but also easy to lock and deflect from your hands. Weaponized scythe is a polearm like Tonbo.

LOLWAT!? WHERE I SAID SOMETHING ABOUT REAL SCYTHE!? And besides swinging any polearms like what we have ingame, we should have something similar to Dark Souls according to your reference of "stabbing into something".

AND IT CAN BE JUST ANOTHER POLEARM, but with their own unique stance. They said that scythes gonna be extended in length anyway.  

1 hour ago, RobWasHere said:

I know that an actual scythe is not a practical weapon in reality...

That's not really the point, not to mention in reality most of our current melee animation are completely impractical.

The point is that scythes are a polearm size weapons/tools and currently they are warpicks/pickaxes and as for animation obviously neither the current polearm nor staff animations would work, it would have to be something new most likely something flashy like tempo royal for blades.

Also considering we have whips, claws, chain blades, tonfas and boomerang style weapons against laser guns I don't think realism is the focus here...