Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Lack of Options as a New Player and Why it's made me Consider Quitting

Hell_Raven

13 hours ago, Himenoinu said:

More meaning to why we're doing what we're doing. Not all players get their kicks from just bursting pinatas open using a tank for a club. Add more meaning to Syndicates tasks, add more depth to "keep the balance" (especially seeing how, overall, we're the bullies and the thieves in the solar system). Stick to the promise of trying to pack a story in every warframe that sees the light of day.

This is likely the biggest aspect warframe lacks is depth. A better way to put it is the "Why?" from the avatars perspective.

Warframe is a good fun game with a huge breadth of options, but even as someone that has been here for the long haul it really shows that most things are very shallow and the only real driving force in the game comes down to loot (loot is a great motivator for many players but really only adds to the breadth of things). 

The purpose for the core of the game-play really hasn't changed at all from the start (don't get me wrong it is a fun core game-play, it is just a fairly shallow one).

----------------------

For newer players though I have seen fewer but larger steps are in the game.  Having a few friends return after a long gap, it has made me aware that many of the steeping stones I used when i started playing have just vanished.
Things like weapons for just credits (a handful of intermediate weapons along with starter weapons that didn't need crafting), let players expand their tools in small steps, while gathering resources to build weapons that let them handle the larger steps later down the path. 
This actually worked very well for early play as you could run minor missions to get some credits and buy a weapon with some slightly better stats (intermediate weapons typically), or one closer to the play-style you prefer without relying on just ranking up mods or a need to grind out resources (which happened just by playing because of that).
Thus when you got to that point you then had that step up into crafting weapons, which felt like you had achieved a milestone in your progression.  This is while frames always felt that bit more important for a cornerstone of the game as you had to build them from the outset.

Also many nodes that we had (as newer players initially) are also not there leading to bigger jumps from node to node, but much the same development potential for each node is the same, meaning players are just likely to be less developed when progressing from one planet to another without repeating missions. (potentially adding a few more non-endless nodes to the lower tier planets could help with starter progression as well).

Other stepping stones likely need to be looked at for the "new player experience" as well.  The solar rails help in that respect in that they give some tasks to achieve for those progression step[ping stones.

As others have mentioned maybe even having some kind of option to restrict newer players to grouping with only other lower MR players for public groups could help too, so they can all learn together without some higher player just doing it all for them.  Though more general matchmaking tools could help for any tier of players.

Edited by Loswaith

Sounds like you rushed the star chart a bit, though to be fair, that's kind of where the game pushes you. I found it a lot more enjoyable to clear most nodes on each planet as I went rather than just the bare minimum to advance. I will say the issue with that is that you get fewer and fewer people joining your group when you do side nodes, which leaves the game feeling empty and makes you want to rush more. 

Mods might take you some time to get, but there are a lot of weapons that do relatively well early on that you have access to. You can also build a lot of good frames through your clan's dojo so long as you join a decent one. Try new items, do fissures, do alerts, and enjoy what the game has to offer.

So what you are looking for is lvl 40++ Nightmare spy missions, that rewards resources (like x4) without breaking containers, nor killing mobs.

Cmon DE, make t happen.

And yeah, since resources are locked behind enemies and containers, the most efficient ways to acquire them, as you pointed out, is to sit, wait for mobs to come, nuke, collect, and yeah, that can be grindy, thats for sure. 

Edited by Souldend78
I hate spy missions, but that's some carrot I'll be willing to chase

21 hours ago, Hell_Raven said:

I understand that, and am willing to grind. My point is that the reward for the grind, the end goal. Just seems to be less of what I enjoyed about the game. Less of the variety and wonderful designs that appealed to me to begin with. I've done my research, I've gotten through a lot of the starmap already. But it's just not fun anymore. It's not the flipping and shooting that appealed to me. It's following a player around who's destroying everything with a single ability. While I'm trying to find an enemy that's not dead yet to spend a little time fighting.

This is where I switched to solo. I still am a mostly solo player. It adds a challenge, allows you to take your time and work out your own ways of completing things that may not be the 'meta'. I don't much care about the "end game" slant most people add to topics because it's more appealing to me personally to explore (and still find) things you never see if youre stuck in squads that bumrush through missions nuking everything just to get their 5k credits at the end.

@Hell_Raven- Ignore all the suck it up bs. I've been playing for 5 years and remember what it was like in the beginning. I love DE and love their vigor and willingness to listen to the community, but they could do far better. I think that content should be incentivised by level. Higher planets on the starchart should have appeal to higher level players. I kind of feel like they need to open up the initial frame and weapon options, as well as make it explicitly clear what can be bought on the market with credits instead of throwing plat options up first. There should be a menu for weapons that can pops up geared towards new players with credit purchases. I kind of feel like some of the earlier frames should have their part locations listed in a more upfront manner, as well. Maybe make it where you can disable or move what is displayed around, that way you can move those menus when you feel you don't need them anymore.

Your complaints ARE valid and as a potential customer, should be taken seriously. Don't let a little toxicity take your fun away, man.

19 hours ago, Altre said:

Your complaints ARE valid and as a potential customer, should be taken seriously. Don't let a little toxicity take your fun away, man.

No need to worry, I'm more than familiar with differentiating toxicity from criticism.

I wanted to thank everyone for your input on the issues I brought up, as well as those of you with recommendations on how I could continue enjoying the game. As my posts have implied or outright stated that is something I very much hope I can do. Cause I genuinely love so many other aspects of the game. I'll definitely see the story through to it's current end if nothing else. Then see how I feel about things from there, whether I deliberately slow things down for myself, find a new more niche way to get that spark of enjoyment back, or step out entirely until my still active friend informs me of changes/improvements.