Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Anti Cheat, DLL Injection and FPS Limiter

Rexavalia

/... 

I've been playing World of Warcraft for a while now and the only thing that I miss is the Background frame limiter.

In case your wondering what a Background Frame limiter is, it's just a normal frame limiter BUT it activates when the game is in the background, like when you Alt+Tab or switch to another page/window.

I'm a programmer, and I wanted to know how would the Anti Cheat System (ACS) react to DLL injections, because I want to create a DLL which then the user injects into the process and then each time the game window loses keyboard focus it will limit the fps to X (X is configurable by the user) and when it gets back to foreground or in other words gets the keyboard focus it will deactivate the fps limiter (not the game's fps limiter)

This way I can decrease the pressure on my hardware as well as improving the performance of other processes.

I tested Riva Tuner Statistics Server's fps limiter and it seems it doesn't bother the ACS although it uses DLL injection.

I wanted to know your thoughts and opinions on this matter and the ways I can tackle this problem.

Thanks in Advance .../

Wot

The fps limiter you used may not be having problems. Yet. Or maybe the anti-cheat only monitors known cheats in a case by case basis. Yet. 

What I want to know is how your computer is having problems running warframe in the background when

> I have youtube going.

> I have loads of other tabs open. 

> Discord is open. 

> I forget warframe is going and open unturned. 

> Play unturned for an hour before noticing the warframe icon on the task bar.

> My computer isn't very high end none of this caused any sort of lag. 

No Point, most would likely end up using it in missions and leeching... players don't like leechers.

Having said that, at least on my system if I alt tab out of the game into windows desktop my gpu usage drops automatically.... the game is still 'ticking over' in the background though. 

This would probably be better asked to one of the programmers in [DE] as many people on the forums may have a different idea on what would count as "cheating" or what would get flagged as such by the ACS.

My guess would be that it would flag any outside DLL injection as a violation. Not a programmer just a guess. :clem:

23 minutes ago, Rexavalia said:

/... 

I've been playing World of Warcraft for a while now and the only thing that I miss is the Background frame limiter.

In case your wondering what a Background Frame limiter is, it's just a normal frame limiter BUT it activates when the game is in the background, like when you Alt+Tab or switch to another page/window.

I'm a programmer, and I wanted to know how would the Anti Cheat System (ACS) react to DLL injections, because I want to create a DLL which then the user injects into the process and then each time the game window loses keyboard focus it will limit the fps to X (X is configurable by the user) and when it gets back to foreground or in other words gets the keyboard focus it will deactivate the fps limiter (not the game's fps limiter)

This way I can decrease the pressure on my hardware as well as improving the performance of other processes.

I tested Riva Tuner Statistics Server's fps limiter and it seems it doesn't bother the ACS although it uses DLL injection.

I wanted to know your thoughts and opinions on this matter and the ways I can tackle this problem.

Thanks in Advance .../

You should create a service, hook it to the window manager emssages and when triggered you manually check if warframe window is not topmost and visible.

That way you remove DLL injection altogether, which is an overall better design choice since it makes it AV and Anticheat proof, solid towards different future executables and expandable to other games.

7 minutes ago, den2k said:

You should create a service, hook it to the window manager emssages and when triggered you manually check if warframe window is not topmost and visible.

That way you remove DLL injection altogether, which is an overall better design choice since it makes it AV and Anticheat proof, solid towards different future executables and expandable to other games.

Fascinating. 

When in doubt contact support, and if they say it's fine, save it so you have a fallback in case they ban you. 

Then again it's probably not worth the risk of losing everything over trying to save some background performance.

Maybe there is a freeware program somewhere that can limit cpu given to the game when not focused, so you aren't fking with the client.

Edited by Vxniqht

1 hour ago, Rexavalia said:

/... 

Thanks in Advance .../

I wouldnt touch warframe files if i where you

you're memmory will be scanned .. and it detects real quick 

if they notice that you gonna implement some injections that may affect the security features in the game

you gonna be in an big supprise

thats called BAN hammer

you may be an programmer and you are trying to manipulate the systems timing .. 

but do you realy think thats an good idea 

Don't do it :nerd:

Avoid DLL injections against Digital extremes

3 hours ago, den2k said:

3 hours ago, CupcakesMoo said:

Fascinating. 

Fascinating Indeed.

@den2k Thanks man.

You're a shining star in this forum!

But doesn't every FPS Limiter require dll injection?

As far as I know, limiting framerate is not possible without injecting a dll which gives access to the process.

Edited by Rexavalia
added some stuff.

3 hours ago, CupcakesMoo said:

Wot

The fps limiter you used may not be having problems. Yet. Or maybe the anti-cheat only monitors known cheats in a case by case basis. Yet. 

What I want to know is how your computer is having problems running warframe in the background when

> I have youtube going.

> I have loads of other tabs open. 

> Discord is open. 

> I forget warframe is going and open unturned. 

> Play unturned for an hour before noticing the warframe icon on the task bar.

> My computer isn't very high end none of this caused any sort of lag. 

I have no issues.
But capping your framerate can have a few benefits:
  • Decreased energy consumption
  • Decreased heat production which results
  • Decreased noise (cooling fans run slower)