Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If Maxing A Mod Gave A Passive?

Volt_Cruelerz

Back before U7 when we were discussing ways to smash the leveling system, it was often suggested that trees should have a special boost at the end. What if we did that with maxed mods?

The following are some ideas..
Redirection: all damage taken to shields reduced by 20%
Steel Fiber: 25% of armor applies to shields

Vitality: regenerate .5 health per second
Stormbringer: electrical damage arcs to nearby enemies

Fast Hands: reduces weapon swap time by 30%

Split Chamber/Barrel Diffusion/Hell's Chamber: those rounds that do not multishot deal 30% more damage

Metal Auger/Seeker/Seeking Force: overkill damage from the first enemy if it dies is distributed to the next enemy and so on

You get the idea.. it might give a but more RPG growth to the game and encourage build diversity until people start using forma repeatedly.  For balance reasons, I know this would likely come along with nerfs, but still.

But Volt, you ask, why not just make these independent mods of their own?  Well, for one, doing so could trivialize other mods.  On top of that, some of these are unique mechanics and not really things that can be increased gradually.  As a result, there are more "incomparables" in play and thus the game becomes less about numerical advantage.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

I like the idea, but as you say, in the end game content, people only use maxed mods anyways, so I fear that it would just result in being a straight buff and nothing else.

On the other hand, some mods really need a purpose, like steel fiber, which might actually be interesting with armor affecting shields.

There would be a lot of problems with it, and it wouldn't work well on most mods. Which would then lead to the whole "why on these mods, but not the others?" arguments/rants. This would be one option to solve the whole issue of abilities not scaling to late game, but there are probably more balanced ways of accomplishing that.

Defensive mods are hilariously overpriced and UP.

Unless you're playing extremely high level endless defense (in which case getting hit at all is a death sentence), defensive mods can be very useful.  Steel Fiber and Vitality aren't very good on most frames, but if you've got a Trinity in your group and you're playing a Frost or Rhino, you will have over 3,000 effective health which can be recharged fairly often. 

Then you've got Redirection and Fast Deflection, which are both extremely good for short term survivability.  I use Redirection on almost every frame. 

The only terrible defensive mods are the individual resistance ones.  They would need to give roughly 60-75% resistance to their respective elements in order to be useable, but they sadly max out at 12% instead. 

Unless you're playing extremely high level endless defense (in which case getting hit at all is a death sentence), defensive mods can be very useful.  Steel Fiber and Vitality aren't very good on most frames, but if you've got a Trinity in your group and you're playing a Frost or Rhino, you will have over 3,000 effective health which can be recharged fairly often. 

Then you've got Redirection and Fast Deflection, which are both extremely good for short term survivability.  I use Redirection on almost every frame. 

The only terrible defensive mods are the individual resistance ones.  They would need to give roughly 60-75% resistance to their respective elements in order to be useable, but they sadly max out at 12% instead. 

"Effective health" is a myth after level 115 on Infested and much MUCH  lower on Corpus and Grineer.

Edited by -Kittens-

It still helps with survivability until enemies can 1-shot you.  And as a bonus to Ember users, most defensive mods scale well with Overheat.  With 91% damage reduction on top of armor and massive amounts of health and shields, she's almost unkillable until she runs out of energy. 

I like this idea a lot. An addition I am thinking about it perhaps mod synergies. If you have Redirection and Steel Fiber both equipped it allows armor to be used for shields... or something similar. This could also be based upon the polarity of the mods...  4 D mods on a warframe allows 10% damage reduction.. or 4 -  mods increase damage by 5%, reduce cost by 5%.. or something like that might be neat as well.

I like this idea a lot. An addition I am thinking about it perhaps mod synergies. If you have Redirection and Steel Fiber both equipped it allows armor to be used for shields... or something similar. This could also be based upon the polarity of the mods...  4 D mods on a warframe allows 10% damage reduction.. or 4 -  mods increase damage by 5%, reduce cost by 5%.. or something like that might be neat as well.

Having large numbers of the same polarities causing some sort of synergistic effect could be interesting and would also definitely add build diversity by promoting going to the extreme in a given category.