The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

FPS and performance dips (on lower end computers, especially)

MonarchMoon

Greetings, DE! Since the new update, rooms and tilesets I was previously able to go in and out of with no problem have taken quite a dip, especially in the dojo rooms with as little as a few trees (though weirdly, some of them are fine. I can't say the same for the forests I've made, though, and that kind of blows because those are my favorite rooms.) I'm not the only one who experiences this, for I have friends who could also only run the game on its lowest settings, and they experience similar FPS and performance dips. 

I have optimized and verified the cache a few times already, and also made sure that too many things weren't running on my potato computer, and the problem still persists. Again, just the day before the update, everything was fine and running normally, then this kind of happens. I sincerely hope that there will be optimizations for this in the coming future 😞

Thank you for your time!

I second this post. I have a good gaming computer, and never really had any issues with the fps and game play, but after the past few updates, the performance takes random dips. I've verified and optimized cache, but alas the issue is recurring. I didn't change any settings in options or anything. Just let it download the updates, optimized, and ran the game to encounter these issues. Makes it difficult to play when the frames drop and screen textures get blurry out of nowhere. I would like to know the cause of this after the main update for the Saryn rework. The pictures attached show how when the dip occurs, it drops to 30fps and becomes blurry. When Vertical Sync is off and Max Framerate is set to No Limit, it will exceed past 200fps and dip occasionally to 160fps. Before any of these problems, I could reach as high as well past 300+fps. So something is wrong.9rWO2nW.jpgtJ1NR5X.jpg

This has, at least for me, began happening as of Beasts of the Sanctuary: Hotfix 22.20.3, but truth is, I haven't been playing much- as many of the content is ''locked'' behind a performance barrier since my computer is also, ancient. 

It seems that something is wrong with loading in objects from their low poly, to high poly state- the most visible is entering navigation and opening Derelict. These performance issues also seem to ''stack'' as in- at times I can play multiple mission without a problem, but after a one or two big missions- where the generated map is too big- can pretty much make the simulation flatline, opening the menu while in solo mode, seems to get rid of the problem, as long as the user does not leave the menu.

I feel like PoE has also been plagued with a similar issue, while I have endless lag while travelling from Ceres, entering PoE directly shortens the freezeframe to a nice, minute or so- Surely can't wait what kind of performance issues does the #2OpenWorld bring...

4 hours ago, zerozeroonethree said:

This has, at least for me, began happening as of Beasts of the Sanctuary: Hotfix 22.20.3, but truth is, I haven't been playing much- as many of the content is ''locked'' behind a performance barrier since my computer is also, ancient. 

It seems that something is wrong with loading in objects from their low poly, to high poly state- the most visible is entering navigation and opening Derelict. These performance issues also seem to ''stack'' as in- at times I can play multiple mission without a problem, but after a one or two big missions- where the generated map is too big- can pretty much make the simulation flatline, opening the menu while in solo mode, seems to get rid of the problem, as long as the user does not leave the menu.

I feel like PoE has also been plagued with a similar issue, while I have endless lag while travelling from Ceres, entering PoE directly shortens the freezeframe to a nice, minute or so- Surely can't wait what kind of performance issues does the #2OpenWorld bring...

i have the same issue , plains are a big no because of my performance...Normal game maps are not a problem , almost all effects are open and except shadows all other settings are on high and constant 40-56 fps even in hordes...But plains killed warframe for me , because i can't hunt terralist with these loading speeds and graphical lag. İ am playing on a laptop 4gb ram , 1gb geforce 710m, intel i3-3120m processor ...  İ would really like to have some downgraded textures or optimization,for me and for all the other players like me ... Some times i use after burner to gain fps + throttle stop is always on and my laptop has one base cooler with 5 fans + 1 deskop fan beside it, so it runs cool...

Something I noticed in regard to this, because I was also having some issues with very poor performance and an immense amount of stuttering.

My GPU was completely maxed out whenever I have been playing warframe (including just standing in the orbiter), and I was lucky if I was maintaining a steady 30fps in game especially on maps with high enemy spawns.

Until I actually had an overlay from AMD up I didn't think to check what version of directx was running.

For some unknown reason, I was under direct x 9, rather than 11. This was not the case prior to the particle update.

I had gone so far as un/reinstalling to try to resolve this, and didn't think to check the launcher until this evening. After making sure that 10/11 were both checked off; when I started the game, my gpu usage is now down to a steady mid 50%.

I still think there are more issues to be resolved since I've still had a fairly significant performance drop since the particle update, but this is definitely a big improvement.

Edited by mjf595
clarification

On 2018-05-24 at 11:20 AM, zerozeroonethree said:

I'm definitely having this issue. The game is nearly unplayable, at least on earth maps for me. The framerate chug is very confusingly inconsistent, but it does appear linked to loading geometry as I often get it when running around if I turn my camera too much. I used to be able to play with a really great framerate while still on power saver mode in my laptop - now switching it up to HP Recommended I'm still getting this chug when really doing this used to dramatically increase my framerate in games. Plz fix DE

I've been experiencing this exact same thing since the Particle Physics update. I went from being able to get 60+ fps with all settings maxed to barely getting 20fps with all settings on minimum. I have verified the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled twice, and altered every setting under the sun to find a solution to no avail. Please DE, find a solution to this because I cant even play the game I now have invested my money into.

I'm having the same issue- I'd taken a few month hiatus, just logged back in today- and my framerate was so terrible I couldn't even play.  My drivers are up to date, I've done everything else I've seen suggested, but it's had no impact- and my computer is far from a potato! 

I'm really hoping there's some kind of fix for this soon.

Also Having the same problem since yesterday 1 June 2018. Used to have 60 fps in orbiter. now drops to 4-6 fps in orbiter. have verified caches. changed the options from launcher and in game. graphic settings does not have any impact.

Hope DE finds the cause soon

Hi everyone,

We have been following these threads closely and we just have a few questions regarding this issue.

1. Has this been encountered on any systems that have the Windows 10 April 2018 Creators Update (version 1803) installed?
-- do you notice a difference if you go back to the previous version of Windows 10? (This can be done through the system's Recovery settings)

2. Does this persist even after clicking on both Verify and Optimize from the Warframe launcher settings?

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

3. We have noticed that sometimes when a new Nvidia driver is installed the Power management mode can revert to "Optimal Power". Can you please ensure that your GPU's power setting is set to "Prefer maximum performance"? Is there any improvement?

NvidiaPower011.png.390d39264d4f88a9ca1c1312d143634f.png

4. If all else fails, then can you please send us a copy of your EE.log in a support ticket? If possible, it would be helpful if you could type something in chat as you experience this drop in performance. Anything is fine, even simply "slowperf". This way if there is something in the logs that can help us it will be even easier to know where we should be looking.

Your EE.log can be found here, and sent to us here.

Thanks!

My Responses to @[DE]Dmitri :

1. Yes, I am on Windows version 1803 and build 17134.48, but I've not tried reverting to previous versions of Windows

2. Yes, I've tried that on top of fiddling with almost every setting in the launcher and within the game itself

3. I have a Ryzen CPU and RX GPU, so it affects both AMD, Intel, and Nvidia users. I would like to state that I have done the equivalent things on AMD assuring it's not throttling, but it's strictly Warframe that I experience this with

4. Sadly, I'm unable to do this since I've recently uninstalled Warframe, but if this isn't fixed when I redownload it, I'll be sure to do so

If you'd like me to elaborate further upon any of these or give separate info, then feel free to contact me here on on Discord @ MadCuzDev#5456

Edit:
** REINSTALLED WARFRAME AND NOTICED SOME MORE THINGS **

• GPU usage very low when lagging (below 50% usage and rest of components are below 40%). Warframe appears to not be able to utilize all hardware available, but instead lags
  • Max settings (above high preset) cause higher resource usage, but higher or same framerate when compared to lowest possible
  • Get about 65 fps average (sometimes below 60) on hydron when with other players,  but never drop below 75 fps when by self and even with more enemies and deaths happening than with players (I gathered loads of enemies up spammed oberon's 4 to 2-shot them)
Edited by MadCuzDev
Gained further information

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update, while GPU shouldn't be insanely high at all times, it's sitting as low at 5% since these issues started. I've tried what was mentioned above, nothing is helping. Even did a clean install of my driver. Sent in my logs as requested. Nvidia GT1030, 16g of RAM, no issues until the second or so patch after the Particle update.

• 3 weeks later...

I had some FPS drops around the release of the Sacrifice, but read on. And I did a little bit of investigation on that, though no logs and stuff. The Nvidia GTX1080 sat around 35% usage (everything on high more or less), and the Core-i5-6400 CPU sat around 50% usage on most part. When drops had an occurrence, I had 100% CPU, which explains the problem. But I don't think this is warframe by itself. There should be plenty of spare CPU capacity on a 4 core 2.7 Ghz beast I think.

Some more digging proceeded. Turned out that a certain "Killer Ethernet network driver" for a WiFi chip I don't even use caused a lot of load on the machine. I removed that, since I just use wired connectivity and the problem has not been here for a while, except for the occasional drop due to antimalware running or something such.

But I think there is something salvageable in my finding: chances are the drops are not stemming from the rendering part of the code base, but rather from the network part. I stress this is just an educated guess and it might be wrong, but I'd consider expanding the search if the frame rate is normally stable. If a lot happens I could imagine a spike in information which could proceed to be a bottleneck if the networking stack is too closely tied to the rendering loop in the engine (which I have no clue if it is and if it can block it).

Edited to add:

Sometimes I get drops in Plains of Eidolon. When this happens I check the GPU/CPU and it didn't look like the GPU was the problem, sitting around 30%. The CPU had one core at its limit, and three other cores which were stressed but not at 100%. However, disk I/O seemed higher than normal. So perhaps the bottleneck is to get something in from disk. It is usually when people go havoc with their skills.

Another edit:

Looked at the hardware when a drop occurs. It always occurs when a lot of stuff is going on in public matches. GPU is loaded at 25%, CPU is loaded, but not cutting out at 100% on any core. Frametime is steady before, but when the drop occurs, the frametime goes up. Yet, it doesn't seem to be stressed on either the GPU nor the CPU. I see the GPU clock rate drop, but I'm expecting that is just adaptive setting. I have them occasionally without any frametime increase otherwise, so I just think the GPU is not getting workload pushed to it so it doesn't care.

My programmer intuition says I/O on this one. Especially network I/O. That is the next thing I'll try checking but it requires a bit of traffic grabbing.

Edited by DeadlyDog88
More information added

I don't know about the others- but I installed my game clean- did verifying and optimizing (before reinstalling) and the problems keep getting worse and worse... I can only normally get my daily reward and nothing else...  even playing solo is very laggy.