Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My two cents on the Simulor

tprx

I've gotten the Simulor from Cephalon Simaris, and while I know there's a syndicate variant (which might be better due to the Entropy effect), I wasn't very impressed with the weapon. Until I used it in conjunction with Hydoid's Tentacle Swarm. You cast the tentacles in a doorway, and shoot the "blobs" from the simulor through it to form the magnetic anomaly. It gives a little less return from pilfering swarm (because you need the kills to come from the tentacles), but since the tentacles doesn't give affinity, the Simulor can let you get some (for leveling Hydroid, the Simulor or other weapons/companions), while still get some added drops. I should add that the utility of the Simulor lies in the fact that the anomaly is an AoE damaging effect, so you don't have to expose yourself to shoot the blobs.

Anyway, that's the only utility I found for this weapon that should be a secondary. The range is so low that by the time you activate the anomaly, the enemy is already chewing on you, so might as well use a melee weapon. If the range was double what it is now, it actually might be useful to spam CC status (like radiation).

That was my two cents.

Edited by tprx

In my trial run, I didn't have an anomaly active when I went into undertow (to cast the next tentacle), so I don't know. My guess is, it doesn't, but I'll try the next time I go for an Hydroid run.

You know, the simulor is more a 'place and explode' kind of weapon, at least for me it is. I bound my fire button to work on my scroll wheel as well, so I can fill an area with orbs quickly, then press alt fire(scroll wheel) to detonate all of the orbs, which is where the weapon shines. 

Just feel like it's worth mentioning Hydroid's Pilfering Swarm only requires enemies to be held/damaged by the tentacles for them to drop extra loot; the tentacles don't need to deliver the final blow. And like Diarmut said, the bulk of the Simulor's damage comes from detonating the spheres rather than relying on the AoE of the mini-vortexes, so if you aren't using it that way already it may be worth trying to get more bang for your buck.

Some increased range on the mini-vortexes would be a nice buff though.