Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Atlantis Vulcan / Nunchaku Love

GhostFeng

Big nunchaku fan here. The day DE released the Ninkondi in Warframe was one of the most exciting days in the game for me haha. Unfortunately, I don't find myself using either the Ninkondi or the Shaku much these days. They are in serious need of some love. With the Melee Revamp coming, I think now is a good time (for DE to hopefully) take a quick look at these forgotten beauties again. The main complaint I have about them is the finisher animations. Both the normal finisher and stealth finisher animations are terribly slow for nunchaku.

Preface: TLDR:

The point of using nunchaku over other melee weapon types (besides how awesome and beautiful they are) is for quick, fluid strikes that take very little time between hits. Unfortunately, if you are trying to enjoy some sneaky stealth-based gameplay, you will always avoid nunchucks in Warframe. Because when you are a space ninja sneaking up behind your enemy with a pair of nunchaku, it's always a great idea to tie up your enemy with your nunchaku, pick them up from behind, suddenly realize they are too heavy to hold in the air, then quickly, but gently set them back down which somehow apparently kills them. All of which takes excruciatingly long to have to sit and watch before sneaking up behind your next enemy to do it again (as if you didn't remember from your first failed attempt that the enemies are too heavy to try to pick up...).

I think a great idea for a quick, fun and more accurate stealth finisher would be to quickly wrap the nunchaku around the enemy's neck, and simply make a quick snapping motion to kill them. Simple, quick, fun, and effective, especially if you are trying to enjoy stealth gameplay using nunchaku. Although not as bad, the normal finisher animation is similarly slow and disruptive to the flow of attacks. One possibility for the normal finisher (depending on limitations for finisher animations) could be to quickly flip over the enemy as you wrap the nunchaku around their neck from the front, then pull them over your back and slam them to the ground. Anyone else have good ideas for a normal nunchaku finisher?

I will edit this post when I check the ground finisher again (don't remember what it looks like), but for nunchaku, a great ground finisher is always a quick stomp and nunchuck whack to the face. 

My other complaint about the nunchaku is the lack of any special effects for them. While a syndicate mod with syndicate explosion effect would be a dream come true, even something as simple as a nunchaku exclusive mod with exclusive effect for nunchucks would also be a huge win for these weapons :) 

My idea for an exclusive effect would be that each hit regens a small amount of power. This would serve two purposes: One is that you are highlighting the idea of attack speed for nunchaku because the higher your attack speed, the more power you can get back from your attacks. The second purpose is to highlight the flow of attacks. By getting power back from your attacks you're able to keep a flow going between using your melee attacks and using your abilities, without pausing due to the usual power drain problems. What do you guys think?

Many weapon types need to be looked at (looking at you, Dual Daggers), but energy regen on hit is too much of a buff. We already have too many enough energy regen options. We have Rage/HA, Zenurik, Pizzas, Energy Siphon, Trin/Harrow/Octavia/etc.

Energy regen makes the game too easy because you can just spam abilities (aka Cheese). And besides, it doesn't make much sense to have a weapon that regens your Warframe's energy. Saryn had something similar (that was removed), but it wasn't the weapon that was giving energy, but the spores popped by melee attacks.

Hm... maybe a Berserker-like attack strength buff on stealth kills? Like a 15% power increase for 20 seconds (stacks to 3 times, like Berserker's speed boost on crits.)

That way, if an enemy spots you during a stealth run, you could easily (and rapidly) put them down before their buddies show up.

Edited by NinjaKitsune56

5 hours ago, (XB1)Godlike13 said:

The Shaku are redundant and rather useless, but the Ninkondi are actually quite powerful. Though I really don't think a new stealth finisher are gonna do anything to change their popularity. 

The new stealth finisher animation is more of a housekeeping issue (clean up a very annoying problem with them) rather than a way to increase popularity. It's a potential exclusive effect that could hopefully increase their popularity.

Ummm... that stealth finisher is BRUTAL! It's not just lifting the enemy and then setting it down, you are kneeing the enemy's spine at the tailbone using their own weight... that's a definite ouchie!

The frontal finisher though, yeah, that one doesn't look very harmful, as far as I can see you are just laying the enemy down with a little bump of the nunchaku. It seems as though you are trying to break their spine with your knee, but utterly failing to do so. That one can need some more "oomph" to it, so it looks and feels powerful.

What you suggested as the new stealth finisher, something like that could work, as the Warframe ALMOST does the move; He pulls the arm, then goes a bit ahead of / behind the enemy. Perfect moment to wrap the nunchaku around the neck... but wait, why are you moving the enemy down harmlessly? No, no, wrap it around the neck, then do a very quick downwards snap, trying to break their neck and/or back. Would speed up the animation too.