Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mothership Invasion's over PoE.

DomoSapien

I don't think it's any secret that the entire premise of the Archwing is arguably an underdeveloped area of the game. The missions aren't terribly enjoyable to play and while the movement sensation can be unique to experience, the flying overall is relatively clunky.

When the PoE trailer first hit and we got a peak at the ability to use the Archwing in PoE, I think a lot of people expected a bit more than what we got which is basically just another form of movement.

Archwing combat is underdeveloped as it is, but it's implementation on the PoE is even moreso and pretty uninspired.

I work at a call center so naturally, I have a lot of free time for typing and sorta just sitting here. A buddy and I were shooting over some memories of Warframe and we touched on the subject of Archwing missions, Spy missions, and Power Core missions.

Throughout this conversation, the Archwing continuously got brought up and it made me think of it's implementation on PoE and how much it could be extended upon. We talked about the fact that outside of not being able to use your Archwing weapons (providing a better environment to properly level them up), you can also get knocked off of them with no effort by some unseen projectile if you try to use them in an actual incursion.

I feel Archwing could use a lot more work than what I'm about to suggest, but I feel it'd be a start.

PoE Changes:

-Expanded Skybox.

-Mothership Invasion based on time of day or PoE event.

-ATG battery from Mothership's to add dynamic.

Archwing Changes:

-Permit Archwing weapons inside PoE.

-Fix flying system.

Mother Ship Invasion:

Three Stages: 1. Shield Breach, 2. Infiltration, 3. Internal Mission

1. The Shield Breach is best explained by space combat from the ORIGINAL Star Wars: Battlefront. You fly around the mothership avoiding whatever defenses they may have while attempting to bring down the shields to permit entry. In true fashion, there should be planet-side battery that we as players can take control of if we choose to do so. A party of four could split between Archwing and Planet-side battery combat.

2. Infiltration involves flying into the hangar with an Archwing and attempting to infiltrate the center of the Mothership.

3. Internal Mission will be a door-instanced Spy missions or Power Core missions. The 'door-instance' I mention is the door-instancing that most Spy missions have in regards to the AI in the room being separated from the AI on the rest of the map in regards to being alerted. Mothership Spy Missions will be like typical spy missions in which information is stolen followed by an escape from the Mothership. Power Core missions will be the more classic approach in which the Power Core is destroyed and the ship blows up after an escape sequence for players to get out.

Despite having time on my hand, my mind is elsewhere so this post may seem a little scatterbrained. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, provide your own suggestions to add to this idea. Ultimately, the goal is to add more variety to the PoE or any future moderate-open-world areas we get. Having some form of MEANINIGFUL aerial combat will make the Archwing an actually asset rather than a simple tool.

14 minutes ago, DomoSapien said:

Permit Archwing weapons inside PoE.

Is it optional? I feel as though we should permit our normal weapons in space archwing and sharkwing as well. Personally I think archwing weapons are either absolute trash or for the good ones not worth the time or money to use as they will never be on par with our normal weapons and Archwings are non-important combat wise and are non important to the overall game besides fast transportation on PoE.

Edited by (XB1)BigLithuanian

Normal weapons aren't balanced for Archwing enemies and vice versa. This isn't something that merely adding the option to use would fix, but would require merging two different damage systems and the mods balanced for either system needing to be rethought.

The Archwing is just a means for getting to a distant point faster while reusing existing content. At best our Archwing is replaced by a featureless Archwing that might be a bit faster but offers nothing in the way of fighting.

What exactly does this need the Plains for? It could just as easily, more so actually, just be a new Archwing game type, with none of the ensuing damage system reconciliation needed.

I'm not sure if PC experienced the ground turning into a cloud of instant death this last Plague star, but Archwing became necessary to combat this... glitch. Lore wise, and realisticly normal fire arms would be capable of handling the vacuum of space. However there is one particular Grineer using a Archwing gun on foot.

I would love to see improvements especially with Venus around the corner.

Also if you weren't aware, you can use Archwing in Simulacrum, you learn its design to remain with a max hight to the current ground level.

Edited by (XB1)Evilpricetag

39 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Normal weapons aren't balanced for Archwing enemies and vice versa. This isn't something that merely adding the option to use would fix, but would require merging two different damage systems and the mods balanced for either system needing to be rethought.

The Archwing is just a means for getting to a distant point faster while reusing existing content. At best our Archwing is replaced by a featureless Archwing that might be a bit faster but offers nothing in the way of fighting.

What exactly does this need the Plains for? It could just as easily, more so actually, just be a new Archwing game type, with none of the ensuing damage system reconciliation needed.

Not saying that it couldn't be it's own game type, but it'd more cohesive with the current game flow. There's obviously an initiative for these open maps to continue. It was just something I thought could be used to supplement the otherwise empty skies.

EDIT: Also, similarly to the water sequences in some grineer maps, you could add a height requirement for archwing weapons to be used to limit them to the Mothership fights in the airspace above PoE.

I'd LIKE to add the Archwing weapons to the PoE just for more accessible content, but it's not necessary. I'd like the environments to, in general, feel like there's more going on than as it currently stands.

PoE stands as a great case study for what's possible and what's wanted.

Edited by DomoSapien

• 3 weeks later...