Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need A "pre-Searing" Place In Warframe To Attract Newbies!

Hayden11121

In Guild Wars 1, you started off at this beautiful place, learning the mechanics, helping a farmer here and there, you know. Peasant work, basically.

What the player didn't know is that once he decides the quest line is done here *Spoiler involves GW1 Lore*

A beastial race attacks and kills almost everyone, "Rupturing" the way back to this area. The beasts worshipped a fire god, of sorts, and this was known as "The Searing" 

In my experience as running through with my Loki when I reset, I talked to ALOT of new players. Most admitted they were on the verge of quitting because they couldn't solo it due to the extremities of the enemies. (Flameblades alone have 120 shields right off the bat) That, or they were getting carried by people who one shot everything without trying.

I convinced many to stay, but really, I shouldn't have too... There should be a way new players enjoy the game without threat of experienced players coming in and using a Dethcube to destroy everything while they rush through.

It's not much, but new players are needed for Warframe. Even if it's the first 1-3 levels before you meet Vor, it'd be nice to know the players aren't being carried or deterred to actually play because they get rushed through.

What do you think?

Edited by Hayden11121

they couldn't solo it

Maybe that's because...

Umm...

I don't know how to say that...

So I'll get that straight maybe.

WARFRAME IS GODDAMN CO-OP GAME

I must agree, though, that mastery 10 players playing with newbies with unranked Skanas because they want their Seer is a problem. Matchmaking should match people of similar mastery levels, at least up to rank 3 let's say. Past that rank you are able to play with high-mastery players with high-end gear. If you are unranked player, new in this game - you probably want to play with someone who is also new, so matching players like 0 with 0, 1 with 1, 2 with 2, 3 with 3, 4+ with 4+ will be a good solution IMHO.

Edited by Angius

I almost knew this response would be here.

This is a coop game, however being carried wasn't fun. They said they went solo and it was too hard. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I already played this game through, I had no trouble. But I see their point. Can't you?

I almost knew this response would be here.

This is a coop game, however being carried wasn't fun. They said they went solo and it was too hard. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I already played this game through, I had no trouble. But I see their point. Can't you?

Yes, I can see the point (which I explained in the second part of my post), however I hate people whining about how solo mode is unfair in co-op game... There were geniuses that said that past event was unfair for solo players. Same goes for people whining about that they wand solo special weapons, earned for not being in a clan. Because clan members got their clan weapons, so solo players should also have their weapons...

God, I hate solofriends...

God, I hate solofriends...

If I had a game with a player with a motivation like you, I'd want to opt out for solo too.

Have you ever thought maybe their internet isn't that great? They don't feel like communicating? They feel like working at their own pace? (Go grab dinner and pause it, etc)

What an immature thing to say...

Maybe that's because...

Umm...

I must agree, though, that mastery 10 players playing with newbies with unranked Skanas because they want their Seer is a problem. Matchmaking should match people of similar mastery levels, at least up to rank 3 let's say. Past that rank you are able to play with high-mastery players with high-end gear. If you are unranked player, new in this game - you probably want to play with someone who is also new, so matching players like 0 with 0, 1 with 1, 2 with 2, 3 with 3, 4+ with 4+ will be a good solution IMHO.

If you structure a game to be played in co-op only, then you don't include the option...not...to play co-op.

The game is, at least in the start, pretty unforgiving if you don't have the luck to get a few crucial mods. This comes in time but players won't invest time if all that's happening is they're getting their asses kicked around like a tin can and all the mods they get from the mission are lost because they died more than 4 times in a 24 hour period.

I agree with the OP that the introduction period should be a decent length. 2-6 hours really (bear in mind players are reaching the 500+ hour mark now) is the right length to get used to a game, and over that time you can actually reward the newbies with those particularily critical mods that you simply can not do with out, not to mention give in depth tutorials for advanced movement, etc. I mean I remember having to experiment with wall run to fully figure it out myself, and I still don't use it unless it's prompted for by wall scrapes. Wish I used it more in combat tbh but it's a bit unwieldy. Ah well. +1 OP.

Also a word to the person I quoted: He's not arguing for solo mode to be buffed. There isn't any mention of the word "solo" in his post. I don't know where you're getting your argument from. He's arguing for a better buffer zone for new players rather than a 5 minute tutorial mission for a 500 hour game.

Edited by J-Pax

I tend to agree with what the OP is saying.

I have introduced 2 friends to the game now. Both seemed to be on the verge of quitting outright.

I tried playing games with them to help them through it, but it just felt wrong. Me being there completely removed their possibility of failure and seemed to frustrate them to no end as their incompetency was more or less shoved in their face until it wormed it's way till again it was shoved forcibly down their throat.

I had to sit there and explain away everything to them while doing my best to leave as much as possible for them to discover.

So far, Drop Rates have been a huge concern, much more so when they see what it takes to craft their first weapon. Also not understanding just how bad the starter weapons suck. Devs have already said they realize just how bad the single target 'longswords' are and will fix those so that'll help a bit.. Nightmare missions being another. All of this gets exasperated by the limited amount of deaths before you are forced to quit.

Maybe removing the death penalty for the first mastery rank is exactly what the new players need.

You got slow internet connection, you are antisociall, you are eating lunch while playing - ok, I can understand that.

But don't whine about how solo players should have equal content as co-op players.

And DE included solo option for those situations. Slow internet, testing weapons, etc. Solo mode should never be equal as co-op mode.

I may as well post that picture again:

And I'm not saying, that someone is arguing about buffing solo mode. I just answered OP, that playing co-op game solo is not a normal thing to do, so solo players should not whine about how solo mode is unfair and hard.

Where did I complain?

Your argument is useless. I realize this is a coop game.

I have exactly 420 hours *LOL* on my account now. 20 sinec I reset, 400 beforehand.

If that's not enough to be able to give feedback without being told what the game is about, then IDK what is.

New players can't solo. But they don't want to pub because of rushing. Now quit ranting on about something you've think I said instead of what I actually said.

Matchmaking was modified to be biased toward mastery ranks within 3 from yours. The problem is that we have lots of active high mastery players and very little active mastery 2s. That means that the two groups will have to be forced to play with each other as there is no one else.

Yes, I can see the point (which I explained in the second part of my post), however I hate people whining about how solo mode is unfair in co-op game... There were geniuses that said that past event was unfair for solo players. Same goes for people whining about that they wand solo special weapons, earned for not being in a clan. Because clan members got their clan weapons, so solo players should also have their weapons...

God, I hate solo%&^s...

the op  mainly stated that there should be some sort of help given to new players, something to draw them unto liking the game more, you know to make them stay and all. Remember not all players have good internet. He only stated that new players should have some sort of boost. he didnt say anything about special solo weps or anything. 

your post is simply rude.

There's lots of times I see 0-1 groups at any node in mercury except Tolstoj.

What happens when you MUST solo?

You shouldn't be able to, then? Then what? Just don't play at all? That's real helpful.

Yes, we should be encouraged to group, not FORCED.

The SOLO mode should be made appropriate for a player playing SOLO.

That's kinda what the button is there for.

Edited by Xylia

So far, Drop Rates have been a huge concern, much more so when they see what it takes to craft their first weapon.

The Cronus?

With the new drop rates on stuff, you have 3x the amount of ferrite and 5x the amount of P.Bundles you need way before you get to Tolstoj.

The only worry is trying to get 1 Morphics to drop (on my Newbie Account Test, the Morphics dropped before I got to Tolstoj).

In fact, the only real obstacle in the way for a newbie is CREDITS.

You need ~40,000 credits to get a Braton and a Cronus.

Missions give you about 2k on Mercury, that's including the credits you pick up while playing the mission.

IMO, the Braton should be 10k and the Cronus should be 5k to build. -OR- missions should award 2k instead of 1k.

Edited by Xylia

Wait Solo mode is too hard early on? I played solo when I first started the game 3 weeks ago when the beginning area was much more difficult. Solo is near impossible later on but in the beginning it's entirely possible especially with the lower levels.

I played solo up until about mission 3 (as Loki) where by then my friends had started playing Warframe and were at the same point as me. I never once failed a mission until I got to Venus defense only because the enemies were too high level at the time. Although as an experienced gamer I always went for headshots which really helps in the beginning.

The problem is that noobs get carried so long they never leave the MK-1 Braton until about half way through Earth when it starts to fail them.

I personally started looking around at the wiki to see strategies when I started to lose and decided to go for the Paris due to its armor ignore and decent damage output.

I am not saying that the beginning is easy. I am just saying that it seems like the noobs try and god mode everything in the beginning for some reason and the Tutorial makes them believe you can in this game.

I think the shields of enemies need to be lowered in the beginning missions (up until Earth) to allow the noobs some breathing room.

Edited by Jefftiffy

Ladies and Gentlemen of the courts, I bid you welcome to: THE THREAD IS NOW DERAILED.

A theatrical performance of flames, anger, wanton retribution - a story of unparalleled anger that arises from irrelevantly cast assumptions with nothing to do with the what was originally said, and then entirely focuses on that one guy. A diabolical plot to distract from topics that need discussing, a twist that sends people reeling for thesauruses on how to say "noob" differently - a scheme that will blow your freaking mind.

Please, oh please, can we FOCUS on what this thread started as and not about whether this is a co-op and whether people should be playing solo.

TO REITERATE THE ORIGINAL POSTER:

NEWBIES NEED A BETTER, LONGER AND POSSIBLY MORE REWARDING TUTORIAL AREA TO CONVINCE THEM THAT THIS GAME IS WORTH STAYING FOR.

To the OP I agree with you, we do need a better start to the game - hopefully when they drop some substantial lore-bombs on us that'll see fruition, but right now the only content that actually has any proper story to it is, in fact, that 5 minute tutorial mission that you can repeat from your in-game profile page *hint hint, nudge nudge - play it if you haven't already, or haven't seen the cryopod trailer for warframe.*

Wait Solo mode is too hard early on? I played solo when I first started the game 3 weeks ago when the beginning area was much more difficult. Solo is near impossible later on but in the beginning it's entirely possible especially with the lower levels.

I played solo up until about mission 3 (as Loki) where by then my friends had started playing Warframe and were at the same point as me. I never once failed a mission until I got to Venus defense only because the enemies were too high level at the time. Although as an experienced gamer I always went for headshots which really helps in the beginning.

The problem is that noobs get carried so long they never leave the MK-1 Braton until about half way through Earth when it starts to fail them.

I personally started looking around at the wiki to see strategies when I started to lose and decided to go for the Paris due to its armor ignore and decent damage output.

I am not saying that the beginning is easy. I am just saying that it seems like the noobs try and god mode everything in the beginning for some reason and the Tutorial makes them believe you can in this game.

I think the shields of enemies need to be lowered in the beginning missions (up until Earth) to allow the noobs some breathing room.

Soloing is slightly harder when you can't spam Invisibility/Decoy anytime you want.

Try that with Excalibur with nothing but Slash Dash. Suddenly, that roomful of Grineer is quite a bit harder to clear out, esp if you're trying to scrounge up that 25k for a Braton and are still using an MK1 because you start with 3k credits and get 1800-2500 credits per mission.

The problem is that the enemies respawn too quickly, if you solo and have access only to beginner weapons then you can't kill them faster than they respawn. At least in my experience. With 2 players instead of solo the game goes from "very hard" to "a bit easy", with four it's a cakewalk.

Also, sneakery is useless, it would've been a valid option for soloers if it were a valid option.

The only valid option IMO for solo is rushing, it's the only means I've found to complete quests that pose any challenge to you. And even though rushing IS ninja-like, it's not the ninja-like option that many like.

The problem is that the enemies respawn too quickly, if you solo and have access only to beginner weapons then you can't kill them faster than they respawn. At least in my experience. With 2 players instead of solo the game goes from "very hard" to "a bit easy", with four it's a cakewalk.

Also, sneakery is useless, it would've been a valid option for soloers if it were a valid option.

The only valid option IMO for solo is rushing, it's the only means I've found to complete quests that pose any challenge to you. And even though rushing IS ninja-like, it's not the ninja-like option that many like.

Not to mention, ALL silent weapons take materials you don't get 'till Saturn/Mars/Jupiter, which means you have to wait until Level 25+ before you can make a silent weapon to even TRY going the Stealth route.

Pre-U9, this wasn't a problem: Saturn was like Lv10. But, now look at it...

Edited by Xylia

Maybe that's because...

Umm...

I must agree, though, that mastery 10 players playing with newbies with unranked Skanas because they want their Seer is a problem. Matchmaking should match people of similar mastery levels, at least up to rank 3 let's say. Past that rank you are able to play with high-mastery players with high-end gear. If you are unranked player, new in this game - you probably want to play with someone who is also new, so matching players like 0 with 0, 1 with 1, 2 with 2, 3 with 3, 4+ with 4+ will be a good solution IMHO.

i think thats a bad idea cause there aren't like a constant stream of newbies coming in, there would probablly be many occasions where newbies start but simply can't get anyone to join with them cause no other newbies joined recently and they're stuck

This is the biggest issue WF has. We've tried to get people interested in the game but they don't get past Mercury before giving up and going onto a game that actually works for beginners. This one is aimed solely at vets who already know the game. The tutorial is a joke and the scaling is stupid. Also when you go on a mission with new players the enemies scale to you, not them, which makes them even harder to kill.

I remember the days when I first started playing in CBT... 

I did end up slash dashing my way to the end and running from a massive horde of enemies because I simply couldn't kill them all before they respawned.

Was it a huge adrenaline rush? Yes.

Did it get boring and stressful after a while? Yes indeed.

But when I persisted and got aklatos, man, that was an insanely joyful moment.

Why are people so against soloing the game? Or even having other people solo it? I agree, there needs to be a place for new players to learn the basics. 4 of my friends started out playing this game. I am the only one who still does (mainly because I'm used to grinding in games like world of tanks) and the main reasons they don't play anymore are what you listed. they don't like being carried (why would you even play at that point) and they don't like dying repeatedly in low levels because they didn't learn how to play from the tutorial (which isn't any better than the last one).