Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Download Folder

Yperkeimenos

Hi all,i have started reinstalling warframe to my new PC and realised that i can't change the folder where the downloaded files are saved. By default they are written on drive C ,which is my case is an SSD, and i can't change it to drive D which is my mechanical HDD. I can choose the installation drive/folder but not the download drive/folder and that's a shame because i don't want to use up available writes on my ssd ,150 TBW in my case, reducing its lifespan. So is there a way to change the location/folder where warframe puts the files it downloads for installation? Thank you.

Edit : The default download folder is C:\users \ username \ appdata \ local \ warframe \ downloads and i'm using wiindows 10 home

Edited by Yperkeimenos
  • Like 1

I'm guessing you are trying to download it straight from the website, and not from steam.

I'm running Win 10 Pro, but I think the things I can think of are low level stuff, and should work for you as well.

1. Go to your internet browser settings, and find the downloads settings. There should be an option to "Ask where to save each file before downloading" If you choose yes, or turn it on, when you download something, you should get the file explorer every time, with it asking where you want to save the file, or whatever it is you are downloading.

2.  If there isn't a setting like that, you should be able to change the folder that it defaults the downloads to.

Bit of an old page, but it pretty much works the same in Chrome now, http://www.chromefans.org/chrome-tutorial/how-to-change-the-default-download-location-in-google-chrome.htm

3. Finally, If you don't want to do it at the browser level, you should be able to do it at the computer level. 

If you go to file explorer, right click on downloads, in the left side of the window, and then go to properties. If you check the tabs at the top, one should say Location. If you choose Move, you should be able to change the default download folder to another hard drive, or a different place on the same one.

The first option is fairly easy, and won't change much.

If you choose the second, I would suggest making a folder on the drive you pick specifically for the downloads, so you don't just start putting files on a drive with no organization. This option will make it so that everything you download from that browser ends up in that folder on the drive.

The third will make it so that anything you download from any browser will go into whatever folder you pick on the drive.

If this is way to much info, and you are downloading it with steam, simply:

Go to steam, in the top left, then choose settings,

In the settings window, choose downloads, and then click the top button, which should say something like Steam Library Folders. Click that.

In the Steam Library Folder window, choose Add Library Folder in the bottom left, navigate to the drive, and then the folder, and steam should make a new folder there.

Then, when you click download, make sure to pick the correct Steam Library it will be going in.

Edited by beckettb
readability in dark mode.

1 hour ago, Yperkeimenos said:

i don't want to use up available writes on my ssd ,150 TBW in my case, reducing its lifespan

Sorry for the OT, I don't have a solution to your problem but I'd just like to point out that people tend to worry far too much about the write limits of their SSD's.  If you run the math, 150TB is equivalent to writing 50GB per day, every day, for 8½ years.  That means you could delete Warframe and redownload it every day to your SSD and it would still last more than an average HDD.  If we take something more reasonable like 10GB per day, which is still really high for a normal user, you'll hit your SSD write limit in 42 years.

I do video editing for a living and use my SSD as a scratch disc for storing previews and cache files etc, along with using it for my downloads and games in my free time.  As such I use heck of a lot more writes than an average user, and I've managed to use a third of my SSD write cycles over the last four and a half years, putting its projected lifespan at over 12 years, while my drive is only rated for 75TB. :)

Ignoring the circumstances, I still think the Downloader should give the user administration over the path.

1 hour ago, beckettb said:

I'm guessing you are trying to download it straight from the website, and not from steam.

I'm running Win 10 Pro, but I think the things I can think of are low level stuff, and should work for you as well.

1. Go to your internet browser settings, and find the downloads settings. There should be an option to "Ask where to save each file before downloading" If you choose yes, or turn it on, when you download something, you should get the file explorer every time, with it asking where you want to save the file, or whatever it is you are downloading.

2.  If there isn't a setting like that, you should be able to change the folder that it defaults the downloads to.

Bit of an old page, but it pretty much works the same in Chrome now, http://www.chromefans.org/chrome-tutorial/how-to-change-the-default-download-location-in-google-chrome.htm

3. Finally, If you don't want to do it at the browser level, you should be able to do it at the computer level. 

If you go to file explorer, right click on downloads, in the left side of the window, and then go to properties. If you check the tabs at the top, one should say Location. If you choose Move, you should be able to change the default download folder to another hard drive, or a different place on the same one.

The first option is fairly easy, and won't change much.

If you choose the second, I would suggest making a folder on the drive you pick specifically for the downloads, so you don't just start putting files on a drive with no organization. This option will make it so that everything you download from that browser ends up in that folder on the drive.

The third will make it so that anything you download from any browser will go into whatever folder you pick on the drive.

If this is way to much info, and you are downloading it with steam, simply:

Go to steam, in the top left, then choose settings,

In the settings window, choose downloads, and then click the top button, which should say something like Steam Library Folders. Click that.

In the Steam Library Folder window, choose Add Library Folder in the bottom left, navigate to the drive, and then the folder, and steam should make a new folder there.

Then, when you click download, make sure to pick the correct Steam Library it will be going in.

Have you ever used the Downloader? Your solutions target non-issues. Yes you can store it at your target, but it will spells the files to a specific, fixed, path (last time I used it).

Hi all,thank you for your replies, but unfortunately it seems that after downloading the installer and start installing warframe ,it'll start downloading 18 gigs of game files into a predetermined folder in drive C. It seems you can't change that since i've started, stopped and restarted the download multiple times. No matter what i do , i can't make it download the game files in drive D and that's an issue with a few other programs as well, even though i've changed the default install folder from the windows registry. Oh well,it seems i'll go with the flow and let it do its thing. At least i can predefine the installation folder, that is to say the folder where the game will install after it has downloaded all the files from the warframe website.

Edited by Yperkeimenos