Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Returning Player, Kubrow breeding? Best companion?

DeadlyLegion

Question

Hi! I am a returning player.

Are Kubrows still the best companion? Or what companion is the best in the current meta?

Is it still the case that you must do some very specific things to RNG a good Kubrow or is there a better way to get one now? What must I do?

I only vaguely remember how to do some of the things in the game. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by DeadlyLegion

12 answers to this question

Kavats and Sentinels aren't bad these days. Smeeta Kavats are great for various things, and pretty much all the Sentinels are good for most stuff.

Genetic Code Templates can be used to filter and narrow down the resultant breeds.

Sentinels and kavats are much better gameplay wise. Kubrows are just for fashion (love to take the big rare colored boys for a walk). As for breeding them. You either go random breeding or use 2 imprints (which you can buy from others) to breed specific type of kubrow 

Kubrows suffer from bad AI making the Sentinels output more sustained damage.

Kubrow's special mods cant really compete with the utility of the kavat's special mods.

Use kubrows only for fashion or MR in my opinion. Use Kavats and Sentinels depending on what you need.

Edited by scourge213

11 minutes ago, scourge213 said:

Kubrows suffer from bad AI making the Sentinels output more sustained damage.

Kubrow's special mods cant really compete with the utility of the kavat's special mods.

Use kubrows only for fashion or MR in my opinion. Use Kavats and Sentinels depending on what you need. 

I do not own any Kavats. How do I obtain a good Kavat? I mostly roll as Loki Prime or Frost Prime.

Also what is in the current meta the best Kavat and Sentinel?

Edited by DeadlyLegion

1 minute ago, DeadlyLegion said:

I do not own any Kavats. How do I obtain a good Kavat? I mostly roll as Loki Prime or Frost Prime.

Your frame doesnt have anything to do with kavats.
To get them you need Kavat incubator upgrade segment (drop from Hyekka masters quite often) and then you need same resources you use to breed kubrow BUT... instead of Egg you ned 10 kavat DNA.

You get them either from store (5p for each) or by scanning feral kavats in derelict missions (rng-then drop the DNA approximately with 10-40%) drop rate from my own experience. might be lower or higher for you.

After that again. You either do random incubation and get Any breed + any look or buy imprints from other players for pretty kavat with specific Breed.

Check out this wiki page. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Kavat_Cosmetics

20 minutes ago, DeadlyLegion said:

Also what is in the current meta the best Kavat and Sentinel?

How to obtain? you must complete the kubrow quest and breed your first kubrow. Then Gather 10 genetic codes(do that from alerts when they appear, otherwise you might lose your sanity in farming it) and a kavat segment that drops randomly from grineer Hyekka Master

No, there is no 'meta' because they have different useses depending on your gear

Notable abilities of notable companions.

Sentinels:

Very useful utility mods - vacum, guardian, medi ray and shield charger. Have sustained dps or can CC enemies effectively around you.

Taxion  - starting sentinel. Gives 200 shields/overshields every 12 seconds. Not very useful.  For starting one its great, otherwise not so much.

Carrier - Can destroy containers 12m in range and gather their loot with vacum. Can give you innate ammo mutation. It has very short attack range. If you use ammo hungry weapons or you do container clearing runs. This is the companion you should use.

Helios - Can scan anything around you. Very useful at the begining of the game as you need to scan tons of things, but once everything is scanned its usefulness disappears.

Deathcube - extra accuracy to weapons and fair attack range(hidden stat). As kubrow/kavat have a very bad AI the sentinels do more consistent damage. This is the one you want to use for pure damage from companion. Not much useful otherwise.

Djin - the new augment to revive itself makes it a good companion for squishier warframes. Using Sacrifice the sentinel will sacrifice itself to ressurect with a minute and a half cooldown. Its surprisingly useful for frames that can easily get one shoted.

Shade - gives stealth in limited way. Situationally useful. I use this only on long endurance runs, but its power there is great.

Kubrow and kavat:

Can heal your warframe for 30% of the damage(after armor reduciton) they deal. Can be revived at any time while they bleedout,

Kavat:

Can strip armor from enemies, increasing their damage drastically.

Smeeta - can occasionally give you a 2xExperience and 2xResource booster that stacks over normal boosters for 4x. This one is to me the most useful current companion due to its booster potential.

Adarza - gives you flat 60% critical chance at reliable intervals. Useful on paper, but in most situations it actually is not. Ceased to be useful after a series of nerfs. I note it because it used to be very useful and with the companion rework(comming in the future) it might become useful again.

Kubrow:

Huras - does the same thing as the Shade, but slightly differently. Choose one of the 2 depending on your preference.

Edited by scourge213

Am 18.7.2018 um 10:02 schrieb scourge213:

Smeeta - can occasionally give you a 2xExperience and 2xResource booster that stacks over normal boosters for 4x. This one is to me the most useful current companion due to its booster potential.

So only the race can give you that, its not a mod thing?
How often does it proc and how does it proc?

vor einer Stunde schrieb Stormwind81:

So only the race can give you that, its not a mod thing?
How often does it proc and how does it proc?

Both. It's a breed specific mod it comes with.

It proccs pretty regulary...it's working on a cooldown and is activated immediatly when avaiable so you're gonna have it active most of the time. The actuall buff is rng though.

It can boost xp, double dropps, add numeric 200% crit to your attacks, make you ignore some damage, refund energy cost of abilities .... it's somewhat of a lottery but a pretty messed up one.

Edited by (PS4)CoolD2108

vor 5 Minuten schrieb (PS4)CoolD2108:

Both. It's a breed specific mod it comes with.

It proccs pretty regulary...it's working on a cooldown and is activated immediatly when avaiable so you're gonna have it active most of the time. The actuall buff is rng though.

It can boost xp, double dropps, add numeric 200% crit to your attacks, make you ignore some damage, refund energy cost of abilities .... it's somewhat of a lottery but a pretty messed up one.

Sounds pretty neat to me.
As my Kubrov is kinda not that efficient I switched to sentinels again. Vacuum seems to be my most liked mod. Is there anything better out there? I mean do Kavats have similar mods like Scavange or Vacuum?

On 2018-07-18 at 9:25 AM, DeadlyLegion said:

Hi! I am a returning player.

Are Kubrows still the best companion? Or what companion is the best in the current meta?

Is it still the case that you must do some very specific things to RNG a good Kubrow or is there a better way to get one now? What must I do?

I only vaguely remember how to do some of the things in the game. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about Kavat's as I haven't gotten one yet, but after recently getting my first Kubrow I must say I am very disappointed. Sentinels are superior to Kubrow's in every way. I got a (I think it's called) Chesa Kubrow, or something like that. And honestly, he is as dumb as a pile of bricks. I could be wrong but I don't think the Kubrow's are working as intended. My Kubrow only attacks enemies once in a while. Many times he will completely ignore enemies, even when they are standing right next to him. He also only picks up items for me once in a blue moon. Many times he flat out ignores items, even when they are lying right next to him. The Kubrow AI is absolute garbage. The game developers really need to look into this. My Sentinel on the other hand is very handy at picking up items for me. He never misses a beat. He also always attacks any enemy that even thinks of getting anywhere near me. If there was an option to throw your Kubrow out the airlock I would do it without thinking twice. The Kubrows are useless from what I've experienced so far. I haven't been able to get a Kavat yet, but my Sentinel does such a good job that I can't ever imagine parting with it. And if the Kavat's are as dumb as the Kubrow's then I'm going to have two useless animals walking around my ship if I do get a Kavat.