Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Landscapes economy (as of devstream 113)

Autongnosis

Hey ho, i wanted to share a piece of feedback and two moderate concern on the tails of what's been said in Devstream 113 about the upcoming Venus landscape and its economy. That apparently will also come to the Earth landscape retroactively from what they've said. 

The first concern i have is about the dynamic econony they talked about in passing, where basically prices will depend on supply and demand. I am not sure what exactly they mean, but i personally would be very careful with implementing any kind of supply/demand model for grinding. Ypu just need to #*!% slightly up a single factor and the whole system becomes a nightmare with wildly varying prices that you just can't stay on top of. 

That said it is a very cool thing to do and honestly if it's done well it's one of thise things that bring more life to a game and make it more like an actual world. 

The second mild concern, which they did address, would be the proliferation of unique resources. This also ties into the suggestion i have. 

The risk with more and more landscapes being added is to have a metric #*!%ton of new resources each closed off into their own landscape. This would be a terrible idea. 

To be honest the two things i would like to see the most to be implemented to combat that would be:

- Resources are divided into classes. Like i don't know ferros is considered an iron-based ore in the plains. Ironite (fictional name) is the iron ore for Venus, and "whateverironthing" is the iron ore from say jupiter. Every miner vendor sells the same iron ore refinement blueprint, which turns any kind of iron ore into refined iron which then can be used for any blueprint that requires it across different landscapes. 

- Implement actual traders. They couod have 3 or 7 days rotation in their inventory, and what they would do would be trade resources from different landscapes. Basically there is a vendor in venus that needs ferros and buys your ferros in exchange for the Venus equivalent of coprum (copper ore?). That at a fair exchange rate. These vendors also have other options to trade for standard resources (ferrite rubedo etc) for landscape resources, like 100x or something. That would also link the landscape and the standard game progressions which imo would be really cool. You could implement a daily, 3-day or 7-day cap in stock exchange so that players that have millions of standard resources can't just instantly burn through landscape content. And it woul become a system that encourages thoughtful decisions as to what and how much to exchange of landscapes and standard resources. 

Have to be honest I really didn't like the 'dynamic economy' aspect either, that's going to make getting standing a complete pain.  I'll be honest I don't come to warframe to study economics (because that's basically what this is), I come here to chill and relax while playing a game that doesn't really require much thinking. 

By making the economy dynamic it's basically going to be like trying to farm for quills standing or nitain where you're going to cause restrictions when you can do things because no one is going to want to trade in at a low price.

Le 22/07/2018 à 11:55, LSG501 a dit :

Have to be honest I really didn't like the 'dynamic economy' aspect either, [...] 

I think you misunderstood. I like the idea a lot, i just think it's very easy to #*!% up and so it should really be treated with the utmost care 🙂 Precisely to avoid your concerns in the second part of the post. 

1 hour ago, Autongnosis said:

I think you misunderstood. I like the idea a lot, i just think it's very easy to #*!% up and so it should really be treated with the utmost care 🙂 Precisely to avoid your concerns in the second part of the post. 

Your original post doesn't read that way...

A simple fixed cost is the most efficient and practical thing for this type of game, adding in dynamic pricing is just going to annoy players who can't trade when the price is at it's 'highest', no one is going to want to get a lower price on something.

Look at it another way, you need 12000 cetus standing so you farm 10 small glappids on PoE because they're worth 1200 standing, you trade in your fish you get your required standing.  On fortuna there is no guarantee you will get enough from your farming because of price fluctuations, that is just REALLY bad idea to include in this type of game.  Hell even DE has said in the last devstream the farming/grind on cetus was off and now they're going to introduce something which could actually INCREASE the grind, it's almost like DE doesn't watch their own devstreams.

As I said I don't play warframe to learn about economics 101.