Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Your Worst Nightmare Mode: A Nightmare Mode Suggestion Thread!

Kobalt

A lot of people say that Nightmare Mode is too hard! I on the other hand enjoy the pain, but do feel that nightmare mode does lack something...Variety! We need more of it, more components to mix together for more delightful pain!

So I am making this thread in the hopes that, like me, other people have been thinking about nightmare mode. I would like to open the floor for nightmare mode suggestions with four of my own!

Executioner - Head shots are the only source of damage vs. enemies.

Demonic - Enemies deal AoE fire damage and explode on death.

Derelict - Ice, Fire, Malfunctioning Laser bars, Self Destruction and Area Decompression.

Note: All of these simultaneously, this mode is meant for corpus ship levels only. Ontop of exhibiting every level condition, there will be an abundance of multi-lock doors, lasers bars will flicker on/off, windows near the player will randomly give out, a high chance of dual mission and the mission will start with a long self-destruct timer [say 10 minutes]. The theme being that the objective is on an abandoned/wrecked ship.

Frostbite - Intermittent frost effect from the Void ice pads throughout the mission. There would be a warning a couple seconds before like the flashes in Arid Fear Void mission. The effect would persist for a random amount of time up to 10 seconds.

Note: Mixes great with Timer Mode!

Added after initial post:

Elitist - Enemy spawn is reduced, but all enemies are Elite Units.

Note: Grineer Napalms, Heavy Gunners, Commanders, Bombards and Scorpions. Corpus Techs, Railgun Moas, Fusion Moas and Shockwave Moas. Only Ancients!

I'm looking forward to hearing other bold ideas from the rest of you and to any critiques you may have on mine!

Edited by Kobalt

Personally I don't see it as 'Nightmare' mode, but more as 'Random Handicap' mode. That being said, sometimes Nightmare mode is like a walk in the park, but if you get a combination like NoShield-NoEnergy-HealthDrain then you will be in for a world of hurt.

So at present time I view 'Nightmare' mode as being more annoying than challenging and DE would do well to take it back to the drawing board.

This thread however could serve as a nice springboard for DE to scope out how Nightmare Mode could be actually challenging instead of gimping your character through RNG.

A lot of people say that Nightmare Mode is too hard! I on the other hand enjoy the pain, but do feel that nightmare mode does lack something...Variety! We need more of it, more components to mix together for more delightful pain!

So I am making this thread in the hopes that, like me, other people have been thinking about nightmare mode. I would like to open the floor for nightmare mode suggestions with four of my own!

Derelict - Ice, Fire, Malfunctioning Laser bars, Self Destruction and Area Decompression.

Note: All of these simultaneously, this mode is meant for corpus ship levels only. Ontop of exhibiting every level condition, there will be an abundance of multi-lock doors, lasers bars will flicker on/off, windows near the player will randomly give out, a high chance of dual mission and the mission will start with a long self-destruct timer [say 10 minutes]. The theme being that the objective is on an abandoned/wrecked ship.

Frostbite - Intermittent frost effect from the Void ice pads throughout the mission. There would be a warning a couple seconds before like the flashes in Arid Fear Void mission. The effect would persist for a random amount of time up to 10 seconds.

Note: Mixes great with Timer Mode!

I'm looking forward to hearing other bold ideas from the rest of you and to any critiques you may have on mine!

God YES YES YES.

Executioner is neat! i want that.

yes +1 I would love some different nightmare modes not just easy type things or impossible things like no shields and no energy. 

I am thinking maybe earthquakes (at least on planets) 

partial infestation your suit starts to become covered in infestedness and the only way to get rid of it is to melee stuff or else you will become entombed

how about ability randomizers meaning your frame gets a random ability set from different frames

self/friendly fire

Well if you want pain really nothing beats running around like a headless chicken on a minimapless map.

Ok as for interesting nightmare debuffs:

Reversal - Your Warframe's circuit board has been fried or your Warframe has been infected by a virus and you will have occasional outbursts where your controls are reversed (moving left goes right instead, RMB=LMB) and temporarily fixing your controls require hacking your Warframe to reroute your controls.

HUDless - Unlike mapless this kills your HUD you won't see your HP shields or ammo count. Hope you're good at keeping track of the damage you've taken.

Electromagnetic Overload - things similar to bullet attractors pop up on the map causing bullets to fly away from their targets toward a single point making guns somewhat useless. To make sure bullets hit their mark one must fire from a position where the bullets will be pulled towards the enemies, of course there's always the option of meleeing.

how about ability randomizers meaning your frame gets a random ability set from different frames

My god, you just pulled the idea out of my head.  I was literally just talking to a friend about this.  So kudos to you!

To expand on it a little I would like to call that particular modifier: Identity Crisis.  And the randomness of the abilities would be limited to anything power that can be in that particular spot on the HUD.  For example any ability that could be triggered in the 1 slot would be randomized in that particular space, like Rhino normally having Rhino Charge could have Mag's Pull.  The same would apply up through powers 2-4.  The great thing about this would be how the synergy would work based on what abilities you happened to randomize and your current mod setup for your frame.  Since you would never be able to predict how things would go, the randomness could make or break the run for you and your squad, or make it more fun(in a sadistic sorta way).  The animations for it wouldn't be so bad either, you could make it like Nyx's Chaos where the hologram of the Tenno whose power you're using appears and does the actual model animation for that particular ability.

Just tossing everything that comes to my mind; bound to be a lot of bad and good stuff, depending on your tastes.

---

Audio Dampener - Sound is muted (much like when windows are broken in space stations)

By Instincts - No crosshairs

Cortex Bomb - Hacking has half the regular time; quitting or timing out kills you

Crazy Time - Enemies move 50-100% faster

Danger Zone - All enemies, regardless of faction, have Miters

Die Hard - Biological enemies only die from downed impalement or having part of their body severed/exploded

Ego Mode - Player's head inflates based on the number of kills they have versus the total kills of the team

Evil Twin - Enemies are clones of the squad members (same weaponry and parameters, cannot use powers)

Fog of War - Visibility is severely reduced by fog

Gib Factory - Enemies explodes into gibs upon death

Hip Fire - Weapons cannot be zoomed (aiming will still make you walk)

Hollywood - Regular death screams are changed into common film death screams

Iron Man - If downed and not revived, cannot respawn

Laser Sharks! - Flying Desert Skates that fires lasers (Dera shots) spawns around the level

Lights out! - All lights are off

Mass Compression - Enemies and/or players are half-sized and have their voice high-pitched

Old Skool - Add a 'score counter' that tallies all experience gain as 'score' with a squad leaderboard on screen.

Paintball Mode - Weapon impacts are changed to colored paint and splashes paint across the player's screen momentarily when hit by a head shot.

Prototype Tech - Enemies have a random rank 0 Warframe buff applied to each of them. (Iron Skin, Venom, Speed, etc.)

Retro Mode - Colors are reduced to a lower count

Riot - All enemies are limited to melee but deal increased damage while taking 25% less damage themselves.

Space Wars - All enemies, regardless of faction, have energy (Dera, Supra, etc.) weapons.

Swarm - Enemy spawns are doubled

Unfriendly Fire - Friendly Fire is active for weapons (not abilities)

Unsurvivor - Health and Shields are inverted (Health amount is shield amount and vice versa)

Wannabes - Enemies perform ground slides and backflips

---

I'll add more if I think of more

Edited by Wiegraf

"Drained Power"

Only abilities under 75 energy are allowed to be used. *Streamline can reduce this*

"Fatigue" Your movements are slower in general. *Reloading, sprinting, casting abilities*

"Brain Fart-

"Memory Loss" Your most commonly used ability is removed for the duration of the game.

Edited by Hayden11121

Yes please!

Also,

Lava/Acid Floors! or something like that. You get damaged when you're stepping on the ground/floor, which brings a need to use your parkour and wall running skills to get around.

Gang Leaders! Light and medium enemies can only be damaged if there are no heavy units in its vicinity. Take out the big boys first.

Doppelganger! Heavy units have a chance to turn into you or a random player in the squad. It has the same stats and weapons as the player, and have the same mods equipped.

Data burn! The datamass deals a bit of damage to the handler every second.

Fun crazy modes:

Caress me! All melee enemies deal aoe poison damage!

Nukes ahoy! All ranged enemies are equipped with an ogris!

oh yeah! :D

Lava/Acid Floors! or something like that. You get damaged when you're stepping on the ground/floor, which brings a need to use your parkour and wall running skills to get around.

Parkour in this game is so buggy I would not find this great.

I like the idea, but DE's implementation would be a stronger vampire mode of sitting still and dying while waiting on the elevator.

I think we can all agree that DE's implementation of Nightmare Mode is sub par.  I think what would help is to assign points to each handicap and limit the total number of points that can be on a single map.  For example:

1 point

Ice (50% shields)

Fire (Take damage if you walk in the fire)

Low Gravity

No Ammo Refills

No Health Orbs

No Energy Orbs

3 points

Vampire Mode (Kills add HP)

No Auras

Game Timer (Kills add 5 sec)

5 points

Shield Drain

Energy Drain

The total number of points that any nightmare map can have should never exceed 7.  So you can have many small handicaps, two medium handicaps, or 1 large handicap, but never 2 large handicaps in the same mission.  Additionally, I think they should implement map bonuses to offset handicaps such as:

-1 point

+25% Stamina

+10% Run Speed

+10% Armor

Double Ammo Pickups

+50% Resource Drops

Double Affinity

If you ever got a medium and a large handicap (totalling 8 points) you would also get 1 map bonus to offset it.

To tie it all together, when the game starts there 3 possible nightmare modes randomly rolled and the players get to vote which nightmare mode they choose to go on.  So for example:

Option 1:

No Shields (5)

No Auras (3)

+50% Resource Drops (-1)

Option 2:

No Auras (3)

Game Timer(3)

No Ammo Refills(1)

Option 3:

Ice (1)

No Gravity (1)

No Health Orbs (1)

No Energy Orbs (1)

Vampire Mode (3)

I think this would go a long way towards making nightmare mode more consistently challenging and players would have more control over the experience.

As far as new handicaps I could think of many:

No Sentinel

Sentinel has 50% shields

+100% Stamina Drain (use up the green bar twice as fast)

Disable 1 specific power (i.e. Disable ultimate, Disable #1, etc.)

Rifle Dampener (Main Weapon deals 50% damage)

Pistol Dampener

Melee Dampener

Toxicity (All enemies leave a poison cloud when they die)

Stealth Mode (Reverse extermination mode where you have to complete the mission with less than X total kills)

EMP (Killing an enemy deals 100 shield damage to the killing player)

No Armor

BloodFrame (Powers consume health instead of energy)

Mines (Enemies leave yellow Osprey mines when they die)

Sidearm Champion: Your primary has been thrown away but you have Sidearm and melee weapons available ammo dropped for your sidearm is buffed 20%

The Warfighter: No sidearm or Melee weapon primary ammo packs gives 25% more ammo back.

BERSERKER: Melee weapons only but damage what you deal is 35% bigger. 

Sentinel Champion: Primary and Sidearm weaponry are disabled and your melee weapon is replaced with one hit one kill knife. Sentinel deals 55% more damage. Warframe abilities available.

Moa Frenzy/Horde - When all the enemies are Moas. Spawning by the hundreds. All running towards you. All making that annoying sound, "GWON GWAH". And let's not forget, all firing lasers like there's no tomorrow, draining you shields in miliseconds.

Seriously, this would make me livid. And angry. Because I hate Moas with a passion.

Edited by RazorTip

Moa Frenzy/Horde - When all the enemies are Moas. Spawning by the hundreds. All running towards you. All making that annoying sound, "GWON GWAH". And let's not forget, all firing lasers like there's no tomorrow, draining you shields in miliseconds.

Seriously, this would make me livid. And angry. Because I hate Moas with a passion.

Rain0 st0mp

What's that? *Thundering sounds, Speed activated and after that* "LOL!"

We'll see how much you "LOL" when you run out of energy. You stomp once, and then what? Tap your feet? Or maybe tapdance your way to the exit?

Edited by RazorTip