Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I build an effective sword?

BioFrequency

Question

-Edited-

Alright this is my final verdict. 

Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike because the across the board damage increases are too good to pass up. 

Fury to counteract the speed reduction of Spoiled strike. Resulting in a 1.1 attack speed (Eventually will be 1.25 when I get Primed Fury)

Buzzkill and Jagged Edge Because they both complement the weapons already Inherently high slash damage. and have synergy when that damage is boosted by Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike. 

Primed reach as it will greatly increase the consistency to which the already long sword can hit multiple targets with each swing thereby increasing its DPS

And the last two mods are left to any variation of the +element +status chance mods. Allowing the weapon to be flexible for enemy types, complimenting its already high 20% status chance. And further increasing the chance for both the benefit of whatever status element is in place. and increasing the chance of Slash procing (Which already had its effect boosted with Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike)

In the end this load-out seems to synrgize super well and capitalizes on the weapons strengths. On the note of the multiple people that have stressed the importance of attack speed. I know how good Bezerker can be. But ultimately I don't mind the 1.1 swing speed. And i'm sure when all my mods are in place it will hit like a truck lol. Eventually if I have a problem with swing speed then Jagged Edge will likely be whats replaced. Otherwise thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by BioFrequency

15 answers to this question

Nah mate, like everything you just go with Pressure Point, Organ Shatter, two elementals, combo duration (if you'll mainhand the weapon), berserker or fury (or both), and you have 2-3 slots left (if you didn't add combo duration) for mods of choice like physical damage mods or more elemental, unless you have Condition Overload and Blood Rush in which case USE THEM.

Reach is nice on galatine so that's a viable option, ignore relentless combination it makes no difference and skip spoiled strike because galatine is too slow to suffer from negative attack speed mods.

Personally I wouldn't use Relentless Combination unless I intend on actively equipping my melee weapon and not using quick melee. So if you aren't planning on holding your weapon most of the time, I would take that out.

The Galatine seems to be a status weapon, judging from its base 20% status chance, so I would recommend throwing some elemental mods that also add status chance. If there's not enough capacity for it, I feel that Primed Reach is expendable, but that's just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

That's a pretty good setup though I'd suggest replacing spoiled strike because the negative attack speed makes heavy weapons super slow and ineffective unless you're using Valkyr or arcanes. Maybe replace it with a cc mod.

Is the 20% reduce in attack speed from Spoiled Strike not effectively negated by Fury and Gladiators Vice? (30% increase in attack speed each)  Or am I misunderstanding how that works?

Edited by BioFrequency

1 minute ago, BioFrequency said:

Is the 20$ reduce in attack speed from Spoiled Strike not effectively negated by Fury and Gladiators Vice? Or am I misunderstanding how that works?

A maxed Fury on its own should definitely negate the loss of attack speed. In fact, it should increase attack speed by 10% if I'm correct.

8 minutes ago, BioFrequency said:

Is the 20% reduce in attack speed from Spoiled Strike not effectively negated by Fury and Gladiators Vice? (30% increase in attack speed each)  Or am I misunderstanding how that works?

6 minutes ago, MobiusKnight said:

A maxed Fury on its own should definitely negate the loss of attack speed. In fact, it should increase attack speed by 10% if I'm correct.

Thing is, hammers and heavy blades have slow attack speed by default, which means you need mods like fury just to make them effective. Sure you can counter the negative speed but it will help more if you don't have any negatives to begin with. As for the damage spoiled strike gives, you could easily cover that with some high status chance mods because the Galatine does slash damage which is effective at melting healthbars if it procs.

How about swapping Gladiators Vice and Relentless Combination for Volcanic Edge (+Heat Damage +Status Effect) and Molten Impact (+More Heat Damage) 

It would greatly increase the weapons orientation for slaying Infested primarily (With its high inherent Slash Damage) and they combo with Primed Pressure Point and Spoiled Strikes damage boots (attack speed debuff will remain countered by Fury.

I feel like theirs goods synergy with this right? 

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

Thing is, hammers and heavy blades have slow attack speed by default, which means you need mods like fury just to make them effective. Sure you can counter the negative speed but it will help more if you don't have any negatives to begin with. As for the damage spoiled strike gives, you could easily cover that with some high status chance mods because the Galatine does slash damage which is effective at melting healthbars if it procs.

Yah but a loss in 20% attack speed for a 100% increase in damage feels like a no Brainer to me. With fury countering you still have 1.1 attack speed, and the 100% damage stacks on everything. 

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Equinox21697 said:

Personally, when I'm using a slow weapon, I like being able to smack an enemy with my weapon and know that they'll take a ton of pure physical damage. I feel like it's more effective at dispatching enemies quickly and also it's simply more satisfying to me. I feel like the loss of attack speed is negated by the Fury, and that there are no more negatives in the situation. That's just my opinion though, and what you are saying does make sense. Having no Spoiled Strike will allow for faster attack speed and more hits in less time.

6 minutes ago, BioFrequency said:

How about swapping Gladiators Vice and Relentless Combination for Volcanic Edge (+Heat Damage +Status Effect) and Molten Impact (+More Heat Damage) 

It would greatly increase the weapons orientation for slaying Infested primarily (With its high inherent Slash Damage) and they combo with Primed Pressure Point and Spoiled Strikes damage boots (attack speed debuff will remain countered by Fury.

I feel like theirs goods synergy with this right? 

I would recommend combining Volcanic Edge with another elemental status mod to further increase the status chance like Virulent Scourge, Voltaic Strike, and/or Vicious Frost. If attack speed becomes an issue for you, I would say that Primed Reach can be replaced with Gladiators Vice. Up to you.

32 minutes ago, BioFrequency said:

Yah but a loss in 20% attack speed for a 100% increase in damage feels like a no Brainer to me. With fury countering you still have 1.1 attack speed, and the 100% damage stacks on everything. 

Mate, trust me, it's slow. Galatine Prime is a fast heavy blade and yet even with Berserkers 75% attack speed it will feel slow, I use both Berserker and Primed Fury's 55% for a total of 130% attack speed just to make it comfortable to swing.

Status chance you see on your weapon is the chance of procing an effect. For easy math, if a weapon has 10% chance to proc status it's 10% to proc any of the damage types on the weapon. If you add Volcanic Edge you will add heat damage to it and increase status chance to 16% (60% of 10% is 6% = 16% total). % of a damage type out of total damage is % chance of THAT status type procing when you proc with your weapon's modded chance. So if you have say 25/15/10/50 in damage types percents, those equal chance to proc that type when you proc status.

Say you have 50% status chance on the weapon, and say 25 slash damage, 15 puncture, 10 impact and 50 heat. When your 50% finaly procs status on hit, there is 25% chance for slash, 15% for puncture, 10% for impact and 50% for heat to proc. One of these 4 will definetly proc when your weapon procs,  this is just the way a procced status is chosen.

Edited by Acersecomic

For a New Player Galatine build i recommend:
Pressure Point, Fury or Berserker, Elemental Mod, Elemental Mod and then just fit in the last 4 Mods however you wish to build your Weapon. If you wish more Status either add more Elemental Mods that increase your current Elemental Damage or add a new Combination into it. The normal Galatine can go Crit in which case i recommend getting Bloodrush and Body Count.

Status Chance is the Chance to proc a Status effect that you inflict the damage of. A weapon without Slash damage will never proc slash by itself. Also note that your IPS (Impact, Puncture, Slash) will get quadrupled if it comes to how likely it is to proc said status.
If you'd like to know about how Status works, here you go: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Status_Effect

My Galatine Prime Build:
Stance: Tempo Royale
Primed Pressure Point, Primed Reach, Primed Fury, Primed Fever Strike, Voltaic Strike, Berserker, Blood Rush, Body Count

This Build should technically work for the normal Galatine aswell but you may substitute the primed for the normal Version in case you don't have them. I hope i helped somehow. :)

Most melee you can get away with pressure point, berserker, blood rush, condition overload, drifting contact, organ strike and two elementals. On weapons with lots of strikes a slash/relentless/weeping build can work great too as the slash proc stack.

Alright this is my final verdict. 

Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike because the across the board damage increases are too good to pass up. 

Fury to counteract the speed reduction of Spoiled strike. Resulting in a 1.1 attack speed (Eventually will be 1.25 when I get Primed Fury)

Buzzkill and Jagged Edge Because they both complement the weapons already Inherently high slash damage. and have synergy when that damage is boosted by Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike. 

Primed reach as it will greatly increase the consistency to which the already long sword can hit multiple targets with each swing thereby increasing its DPS

And the last two mods are left to any variation of the +element +status chance mods. Allowing the weapon to be flexible for enemy types, complimenting its already high 20% status chance. And further increasing the chance for both the benefit of whatever status element is in place. and increasing the chance of Slash procing (Which already had its effect boosted with Pressure Point and Spoiled Strike)

In the end this load-out seems to synrgize super well and capitalizes on the weapons strengths. On the note of the multiple people that have stressed the importance of attack speed. I know how good Bezerker can be. But ultimately I don't mind the 1.1 swing speed. And i'm sure when all my mods are in place it will hit like a truck lol. Eventually if I have a problem with swing speed then Jagged Edge will likely be whats replaced. Otherwise thanks for the help everyone!