Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Another Type Of Jump Attacks

Casardis

Currently, the jump attacks we have are the downward AoE attack, and the aerial spin attack (which is done in the same way as a slide attack, but in the air). I think that an idea which can improve the space ninja experience of badassery is to give another type of jump attack. Basically, it will be a single "swipe."

Think of it as a "aerial normal melee" while the AoE jump attack will be "aerial heavy melee." If you've played games like Dragon's Dogma or Devil May Cry, you may know about it a bit. The former may be a better example since you don't slow down your fall while attacking in the air. In Dragon's Dogma, pressing the light attack in the air will make you swing your sword a single time, which allows for quick escape shots, or hitting flying enemies. When hitting the heavy attack, it will do a downward slash until they hit the ground.

My idea here is, when done in the air, the Tenno will either do a diagonal slash (cross slash if dual wielding), or throw a fist/kick if they are using those weapons. It won't give a momentum like the aerial spin attack, but you'll be able to do it multiple times as long as you have air time/attack speed (making low-gravity mode a bit more fun for melee too). With enough air time, you can even do a swipe, followed by the current AoE jump attack.

It can be implemented here similarly. Press E in the air for an air attack, but hold E to do the current AoE jump attack. I don't think changing this to "hold" would break the flow of it a lot since you can't attack immediately after a jump attack anyway.

This will also allow for some quick jabs at certain enemies without requiring the slide attack maneuver, but more importantly, this may be a good addition for certain bosses to come, such as the new, colossal J3-Golem. This will also help destroying certain flying enemies that are quite annoying to hit, with better precision than a spin attack.

I pointed out aerial enemies only at the end as a little example.

We may not have many flying enemies right now, but we may get more in the future. Grineer Hellion is a good example, except that they fly a bit too high for that tactic. Corpus already has quite some annoying minions that float around (Fusion MOA drones are the most annoying with their weird hitbox); having the option to quickly swipe them out of sight while being actively moving around instead of aiming with a gun can enhance the melee fights IMO.

I was mainly trying to refer to hordes of enemies around you and not being able to get out, so you do a little quick jab while jumping out your way (sometimes in these situations it's harder to do a slide-jump to escape, or a simple jump). Having such an attack will allow you to stun and escape. Another thing I was referring to is bosses. It doesn't have to be J3-Golem. It can be used on Vor or Kril, some heavy units even. It's just giving more options with the melee.

Also, I never said it was necessary. In fact, many melee mechanics in this game is completely useless compared to the simpler mechanics, yet it's there and implemented (blocking, wallrun melees, etc). I'm just suggesting an idea that might make melee more fun for certain people, and fun factor is necessary.

Edited by Casardis