Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx changes: A starting point

Neightrix

I'd like to establish a starting point for discussing Nyx.

Somewhat unfortunately, I feel like I have to beat a dead horse right off the bat. The three abilities Nyx is likely to retain (Mind Control, Chaos, and Absorb) all have to do with redirecting enemy damage back at them. If armor is not changed, you are extremely limited with how effective this gimmick will be. Even if enemies get a different set of damage numbers when they're controlled by Nyx to account for the health scaling by level, grineer will be doing trivial damage to one another beyond mid level. To make the gimmick effective, enemies would need to deal true damage to each other, or armor would need to be capped for enemies at a given amount of damage reduction (75%?). Or maybe someone has an even better suggestion?

Next is the potential of a new ability. Reb was on point with the sentiment that "damage is king." Until enemies are diversified to create more use cases for warframes and their abilities, every frame will unfortunately be judged only by how well they kill enemies, crowd control, or survive - or support teammates to do these things. If Nyx's new ability isn't based on damage or helping teammates do more damage, Nyx will likely be labeled useless (not my personal opinion, just my impression how it usually goes with this community). I don't have anything in the way of specifics, but hopefully this will steer the discussion and suggestions in the best direction.

Lastly, I know removing or changing augments is not something that's done often in this game, but I really do believe Nyx needs to be able to move with Absorb active. Assimilate is the most mandatory of the mandatory, and it would really help her out if it wasn't.

Edited by Neightrix

20 minutes ago, Neightrix said:

Assimilate is the most mandatory of the mandatory, and it would really help her out if it wasn't.

Then all the limitations that go with it would be built in. I would wager the limitations would be even more strict if everyone had it built in. Either that or the ability gets a heavy nerf.

You say you are setting up some sort of starting point, but what is it? They're looking at the new ability being some sort of debuff, last I knew. Sounds like that would make it easier to kill things or not be killed by them, no?

23 minutes ago, Neightrix said:

I don't have anything in the way of specifics

24 minutes ago, Neightrix said:

hopefully this will steer the discussion and suggestions in the best direction

Why do you feel you have the best direction for Nyx in mind?

9 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Then all the limitations that go with it would be built in. I would wager the limitations would be even more strict if everyone had it built in. Either that or the ability gets a heavy nerf.

You say you are setting up some sort of starting point, but what is it? They're looking at the new ability being some sort of debuff, last I knew. Sounds like that would make it easier to kill things or not be killed by them, no?

Why do you feel you have the best direction for Nyx in mind?

Not sure what this first part means, but if you're suggesting Absorb is already perfectly balanced in terms of its advantages and disadvantages then you're in for a rough time if you plan to discuss this with other players.

I believe addressing what I said is better than questioning whether I have the experience and understanding to have an opinion on Nyx, otherwise you're reducing our debate down to who has a longer epeen. I said her new ability would be best if it was damage based or helped teammates do more damage (I would prefer she do the damage herself). Surely you can address whether you think I'm right about that and why.