Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The only question about melee 3.0 that matters. Can some form be effective in elite onslaught through wave 8?

jiminatorx

If the answer is no, then please reconsider. This is a horde mode shooter. Today, with maiming strike, even after the first nerf, you can get up to wave 8 with melee only. If that gets taken away then that is a pretty hard nerf. I... don't really know who melee 3.0 is targeted for. Is it about giving more options for beginning level combat? Because I just can't see switching away from main weapon to melee in terms of endgame combat. It can be done today, with maiming strike. But if maiming strike is gone, is there going to be some other crowd clearing mass damage technique to replace it? Ok so you are doing light attacks and heavy attacks, fine and all that... but....

5 minutes ago, jiminatorx said:

If the answer is no, then please reconsider. This is a horde mode shooter. Today, with maiming strike, even after the first nerf, you can get up to wave 8 with melee only. If that gets taken away then that is a pretty hard nerf. I... don't really know who melee 3.0 is targeted for. Is it about giving more options for beginning level combat? Because I just can't see switching away from main weapon to melee in terms of endgame combat. It can be done today, with maiming strike. But if maiming strike is gone, is there going to be some other crowd clearing mass damage technique to replace it? Ok so you are doing light attacks and heavy attacks, fine and all that... but....

Maiming Strike is an outlier in terms of melee damage. Melee was never intended to be able to mass clear rooms in that way which is a big part of why they are changing things up. Melee will likely not be viable for high waves of Elite Onslaught due to it being unable to clear enough enemies fast enough, but by that point there aren't really any "legit" methods of killing enemies that DO work, you pretty much just have to cheese to get through. You aren't meant to go that high in Onslaught, they wanted it to be a game mode players could play through relatively quickly against strong enemies to get rewards relatively quickly instead of 8 hours in survival to face high level enemies.

They aren't going to change the game because people refuse to use everything available to them. By your standards, why doesn't DE just remove anything outside SO and center the entire game around it.

10 minutes ago, jiminatorx said:

I... don't really know who melee 3.0 is targeted for.

He says while a single mod being in the build let's him ignore other weapons to go 8 waves into a tough game mode.

• 2 weeks later...

They say with in game language that if you are capable of playing past wave eight they consider something in your gear to be overpowered and in need of being nerfed. So. No. They won't be adding anything to the game that is effective past wave eight. They're looking for things to nerf. 

What do you think they mean when they say "we're not studying the enemy AI and scaling anymore, we're studying your ability, frame mechanics, and weapon physics". That's literally what they say. They're studying the results to see what needs to be nerfed. The longer you go in onslaught's challenge mode, the more likely the thing you're using is going to be nerfed. 

As much as ive enjoyed spin2win, Ill also put in that Jat alone used to take me hours deep (lvl180+) in t3 surv when that was a thing. And the mods (disregarding ms) have only gotten better since. Granted the los nerf still makes things a bit difficult at times, but Im lookin forward to what 3.0 can offer.