Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts On Primed Reach

Janzer

I think Primed Reach is ridiculous and really doesn't make any sense that it is able to be applied to every weapon. I also think Reach is silly, but Primed Reach has exacerbated the issue enough for me to remark on now.

Let me explain.

My opinion can't be a popular one, as I expect most players see the extra distance "ghost striking" as something neat. It's just too much for me. In a game of space ninjas, a fake reach mod is my limit I guess, ahhahaha! I know, I'm dumb.

The idea and concept of the mod is just too....cheesy. It minimizes skill requirement for melee by making hitting lots of enemies extremely easy.

It effectively cheeses out melee.

Bo type (staves) weapons, hammers and whips already have a greater distance they can strike at versus something like a dagger. So why do we need this mod at all? I think the concept is interesting, but it's done with little effort other than changing a value and giving the player no indication of what that reach really is visually, in the game.

This encourages just random striking and hoping you'll connect with the enemy. Basically driving the skill level for melee down to a utter flat zero.

The mod seems partially completed as an idea. It needs to be supported more and filled out otherwise we get what I have, which is a cheesy mod.

In essence, this is a problem of my own viewpoint and not something I am trying to force on anyone.

Now THAT, is ridiculous :D

But it's where I stand on it. And given that this is the feedback section of the forums, I'm giving my feedback.

"If you don't like it don't use it." - I get that, I do. But I'm giving my feedback on the game and the direction the game is going. Every small thing like this that trivializes any skill needed is something I'm going to talk about. No one has to agree with me, as long as devs get a chance to hear viewpoints that's why I'm here.

If we're going to apply Reach and Primed Reach to melee weapons, let's at least have it restricted to some weapons that it might actually be able to affect, and put some effort into making it look like it was intended and not just an invisible value adjustment.

For example: Reach/PR should be able to affect weapons like whips. A whip can be extended by having....more of the material. I get that.

How does a Dagger extend reach, exactly?

A potential idea might be to adjust Reach to have the visual effect of a "ghost" extension of the blade. Something we can see visually to then have an idea of what is our range.

Until something is done to finish development of the Reach / Primed Reach mod concept, it's just going to remain a cheesy concept without polish.

Imagine if channeling didn't do anything when you hit that button. Imagine if there was no visual or audio cue, that channeling was working. Now you would know that it was working, but it would seem....well, cheap.

I stand by not liking the mod. But, I can see how it could be applied in the game if it were further developed and maybe restricted to certain weapons.

Until then, +165% reach usage for all that want it! And yes, I'm very aware that you still have to grind the cores to rank up the mod. I'm going to the core of the point, not trying to solve all the wavelets that occur because of the initial idea.

IMHO i really think increased melee 'reach' should be a channeling feature/mod 

ie i think standard channeling should increase reach by +50%, and then that any more 'reach' should be on a channeling specific mod

obviously this would require the removal/reworking of the exisiting two reach mods, but it would be easy enough for DE to reimburse players to make a more logical/consistent system

I'm using mostly Gram and while having 120% form the mod... I don't feel a thing...

The mechanics are confusing. Obviously a rank 6 which I believe is 105% range does not double the range of your weapon. Otherwise, I could clear entire rooms by spinning a Galatine as volt.

IMHO i really think increased melee 'reach' should be a channeling feature/mod 

This could be pretty neat but I doubt it would happen. Maybe if we get a melee buff...

The mechanics are confusing. Obviously a rank 6 which I believe is 105% range does not double the range of your weapon. Otherwise, I could clear entire rooms by spinning a Galatine as volt.

My Primed reach is on rank 8 (135%) and I feel that too with galatine.

Op misses something important in my opinion:

Every utility mod lowers damage, that is heavily needed for many melee weapons. Maybe not Ichors or Dakra Prime with Crimson Dervish, but try doing high level missions with other weapons. It's really a pain, and reach is rather not the issue. It's the time you need to kill all those enemies and that is crucial.