Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sentinel Commands - Tell Your Sentinel How To Behave

MechNexus

Admit it, Sentinels are kind of annoying at times.

Their backup is valuable, but they have a nasty habit of alerting enemies with their itchy trigger finger, or stealing kills when you're trying to rank something up.

Thus, I propose this method of controlling how they act, using the arrow keys on PC, and some modifier button on PS4 (triangle + d-pad?).

Up arrow will tell your sentinel to prioritize enemies in front of you.

Down arrow will tell your sentinel to focus fire on enemies you can't see.

Left arrow will toggle if he's allowed to actually fire, which is useful for when you want to stealth a mission or rank up a weak weapon, yet still want combat support when you're spotted or when things get hairy.

Right arrow will toggle through how your sentinel acts towards enemies under the effects of abilities.

By default, your sentinel won't care about abilities and attack everyone evenly, but can be toggled to never attack affected enemies, or go for them first, the former being useful for nyx and trinity players, the latter being useful for nova and vauban players.

You can set how your sentinel will act upon mission start in the arsenal screen.

Discuss, add improvements, etc

I support this. How many times did I want my deathcube to stop firing so I can actually get some kills or try stealth?

well, that why shade exists, enough we can switch sentinels weapons already.

but sentinel roles should be better defined? yes, pretty much they all do the same except shade and the pear.

As much as I find the things you've expressed to be annoying to me many a time, the reality of it is that it's my own fault.  I made the choice to take carrier into combat as opposed to shade.  I made the choice that vacuum sucking items was better than a stealthy and obedient sentinel.

That being said, I do think that sentinels are not a well implemented system.  They're a great idea, but as was said earlier in the thread, most of them function exactly alike, with the exception of the shade and the carrier.  I think in general, the whole sentinel concept needs to be looked at and redefined, but in the short time, I think the best and easiest fix would to just allow certain precepts to be used across multiple sentinels (most notably, and most usefully, Revenge).

I agree with this. Another thing that really annoyed me was that my first sentinel was Wyrm. I installed Crowd Dispersion on it and maxed out. However, IT DOESN'T USE IT EVER. It ONLY fires uncontrollably, even if I'm surrounded by thousands of enemies. Whenever it uses the skill, it's in empty places. No joke, man. I forgot the number of times that I jumped on my chair because my wyrm suddenly used CD when I was trying a bit of a stealth mode, and there was no enemy nearby. I hope this is a bug that happened with other people, because I never saw anyone complain about this before.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with this. Another thing that really annoyed me was that my first sentinel was Wyrm. I installed Crowd Dispersion on it and maxed out. However, IT DOESN'T USE IT EVER. It ONLY fires uncontrollably, even if I'm surrounded by thousands of enemies. Whenever it uses the skill, it's in empty places. No joke, man. I forgot the number of times that I jumped on my chair because my wyrm suddenly used CD when I was trying a bit of a stealth mode, and there was no enemy nearby. I hope this is a bug that happened with other people, because I never saw anyone complain about this before.

Make sure Crowd Dispersion is the first precept (Priority order is Left-to-Right). This will make the Wyrm stop shooting (Warrior precept) to use Crowd Dispersion. The other way around means it will wait until it has stopped shooting to use CD. Never had the "uses it randomly when no one's around" thing, though.

+1 to the topic.

Edited by Onihikage

• 2 months later...

I think something that would be really cool for the sentinels is to give them 4 powers just like the player warframes, that or 4 behaviours as suggested above. I also think that you should be able to mark specific targets that you wish for the sentinel to engage. In this way you could really feel like your sentinel is a super useful asset in the field and it would also add significant layers of strategy because you've got yourself a little wing man. Think of the utility for solo players! and of course team play would be greatly helped if sentinels had abilities oriented around casting buffs. That would also prevent them from getting a bit too powerful, much as I'd like a Megadeth ability for my dethcube XD

I support this idea.

Also give the sentinels communication, my shade does some kind of R2-D2 squeak every now and then it would be cool to see a little box where Vay-Hek tells your shade that if it mentions his mother again he will turn it into gun-oil.

as far as i read (and that's the reason why i didn't use wyrm) is that it crowd dispersion has a cool down time.And it has the habit of firing it on..barrels,container and turrets.So yeah,that's prolly what happened to you.Got near an explosive barrel and went CD.So it would not fire it when needed because usually it's always in cool down (and prolly you have the fire precept with a higher priority than the CD one)

• 3 months later...

Now that we have Kubrows, this command idea seems really good. I currently have a Huras Kubrow (the kubrow alternative to Shade) and when it activates it's cloak, I would love to be able to then command the Kubrow to attack a certain enemy. This could be achieved by using the Marker system (cloak with Kubrow,  aim at enemy, then mark and watch as your kubrow tears the enemy a new one). This would, of course, break the stealth.

Edit: I forgot to add a quote from noveltyhero about 11 posts up.

Edited by LordOrsiron9