Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Codex Seems Bland For Warframes And Enemies

I know I may be one of the only people here that actually READS the Codex, but to me it is important. I understand that in a way we are playing a story and it is told through the characters actions. To me though, when I looked at the Warframes information on their Codex, I was dumbstruck. Out of all them Ember is the only one aside from Excalibur that has a true codex entry. I really think this would be an awesome change to see in the future. As much as I love this game, It feels week in story, which is mind boggling. It is my favorite game. Almost favorite of all time right next to the (hold your breath!) Metal Gear Solid franchise. Below, I know this may get flack, or it may get positive feedback, but I have created a Codex Entry for Nekros. I'd be astounded to get some feedback from a DE person or moderator.

Updates Made 7/6/2014:

Nekros Codex Entry: Nekros' name was corrected from Shin to Shen due to word editor spell-checking the name.

Valkyr Codex Entry Added: A rough draft was added. Still heavily in editing stage, but gives an idea of what is being worked on. Could have very heavy edits made before too long and or complete re-writing done.

Vauban Codex Spot Added, but no codex entry made as of yet.

Nekros Codex Entry:

“Nekros has been long asleep since we have discovered him. There has been no sign of the disturbance of what had seemed to be an Orokin Derelict Ship,” Amera, a Tenno agent, looked over towards where one of the few Tenno remained standing in silence. Excalibur seemed well poised as he turned his head to glance upon the flashing screens within the Orokin ship. The panels flashing small blips of activity between power surges.Ember turned her head before she took in a small breath, Rhino having only done the same, “It’s showing his Cryopod has remained undisturbed, but there are very abnormal readings coming from where he is.”

"His name was Shen. He was an apothecary who studied in the dark arts of reanimation. He believed the soul could be harvested and mended. His abilities derived from his suit, but also his knowledge of the dead. I do not recommend angering him. Once awoken, bring him back to extraction, and recover his suit. Be careful, Tenno. Even without his Warframe, Shen is a very powerful Tenno, and will require a high state of caution. Goodluck," Lotus' transmission ended and it was once more silent except for the sound of electrical malfunctions within the room.

“Playback the last activity that came out of that room,” Embers fingers left the small console, which remained displaying unusual activity.

As the screen flashed to life, they were able to see the flickering words go across the monitors. Within seconds, the video recording played. On the screen was a display of fighting, Nekros having moved rapidly in order to fight the infested, only to spin a scythe that remained in his hand before cleaving a few more down. The infested that were near him collapsed as he went on his endless barrage, some of them splitting into multiple pieces before their bodies began to glow. What seemed like wisps of energy arose from the bodies, it was then did the uniqueness of Nekros shine. Energy began to shimmer forth from the bodies, drawing forth the energy of their souls, only to display how he could power his suit. Within seconds, those he had slaughtered were coming back to life, even as the screen dimmed due to a larger creature coming into display. Within seconds there was only a display of a soul like serpent sweeping from one of the ancient infested. Falling dead, the ancient infested hit the ground, but before long the screen began to flicker as Nekros took a moment to lean down. Enemies ran in fear as his hands went to the sky. As the display zoomed in on Shen, it was clear, he was casting an ability. With no sign of it working, they were witness to the Codex Entry showing Shen run as quick as he could. His Nekros Warframe reflecting a hauntingly red visage behind him, which dripped with blood and viscera. Within seconds, all Ember, Rhino, and Excalibur could see was an infested like stasis pod begin forming around Nekros. Tentacles wrapping around him rapidly before covering him in an organic like shell.

“Seems he ran into something bigger than he could fight. We know he’s here if the codex entry is right. Whatever that was, it’s a problem. Tenno move out,” Lotus’ voice cut out from the transmission as the team moved forth from the control room. Once they arrived to where Nekros had fallen victim, their problem became more than they had imagined, and it was then had they first encountered an infested with an intelligence much like their own. It called itself - Lephantis.

-The Lotus' personal Codex Entry taken during Nekros recovery on an Orokin derelict ship.

Even though this 'fan-fic' as it can be called is not perfect. I've had several people say they loved it and it displayed a form of lore to the game, which stuck true to Kaleen's story about Ember, which was revealed within her portion of Embers Codex entry. Hopefully we can see more like this to help build the game up to a wonderful story.

Valkyr Codex Entry:

Filled with rage, it was no surprise that the combat between the Corpus and Valkyr had been brutal. The room was a display of this. Each Corpus she had encountered was strewn about in a display of pure anger, rage, and brutality. Standing there, Valkyr glanced about the room through her heavily damage masked, only to have her attention redirected to the small claps that filled the air. In the distance a small figure appeared, his amusement was easily noted by her, as was the metallic creature beside him that walked upon all fours, "very nice display, Tenno. You are a fine specimen for my Zanuka Project. I must know more about you! Your Warframe, your power, and that wonderful rage inside of you. It will make a perfect enhancement to Zanuka!"

Her anger boiled over till the electrical shocks went through her forearms and neck. Control devices that allowed the Corpus scientists to gain control over her. Their need? To harvest such a skillfully trained warrior, one that could be highly revered among warriors. With another small clap of his hands, Zanuka emerged from the distance to the platform in front of Valkyr. Its head tilted to the side in an animal like manner. At first it seemed like a robotic shell, but that changed, for a moment it almost seemed to recognize her before the mechanical like roar emitted from its vocal mechanisms. 

"You've angered my Zanuka, Tenno. You are part of why this project has even come this far. We must harvest more from you before we can finish. Such wonderful specimens can not be taken away this early on! Your Lotus has already made attempts to save you, but she won't find you here."

Before his words could fall upon deaf ears, Valkyr pulled against the electrical bonds that were quickly attaching themselves to the back of the collar around her neck as well as the bonding pieces around her wrists. With her now restrained, Prince Alad V grew closer to her, crouching down before the first explosion set off. An invasion force was there and their mission would inevitably be to find this Warframe and its user; dead or alive.

"Seems my friends are here, Alad.. I will... Have your head.. I will have Zanukas head... I WILL KILL YOU!"

Alad V stifled a laugh that tried to escape from his throat as he turned his back turned to her, "you had your chance. You failed, Valkyr.. Your friends are here. We must speed up this harvesting. Zanuka! We must harvest more parts from these wonderful new specimens that have breached our ship."

Valkyr tugged at her bonds before each part of the Warframe was being damaged by Alad V's tools, revealing the heavily damaged portions of her body that Alad V had already been harvesting for his scientific experiments.

-Codex Recording Recovered Within Prince Alad V's Zanuka Prototype

Vauban Codex:

Edited by (PS4)RaivynLyken

Ember's name is not Kaleen.

She was the (first?) victim of Ember(s).

thats what i think as well. after all. if kaleen was ember, why would she burn herself.

and why would she answer to the sentients.

kaleen is a sentient, thats clear from who she's reporting to.   ember answered to the orikin back then

thats what i think as well. after all. if kaleen was ember, why would she burn herself.

kaleen is a sentient, thats clear from who she's reporting to.   ember answered to the orikin back then

I'm playing on the assumption that Kaleen could have been infected and becoming a Tenno and being able to control fire due to her affliction that Ember placed upon her.

Ember's codex entry was implying that the Orikin sent ships with kids in them into the Void, thus giving them powers.

Kaleen discovered the ship and one of the kids (Ember) was startled by her presence and accidentally / out of fear / with no control burnt the S#&$ out of her.

I have no idea how you people are jumping to conclusions with being burnt by someone turning you into a Tenno or the people interviewing being sentients, lol...

It's just the Orikin being galactic douchebags and starting up their own Spartan: Space Ninja Edition program by launching shuttles filled with children into the Void, hence the knowing "that would breach procedure" (terrible paraphrase).

Ember's codex entry was implying that the Orikin sent ships with kids in them into the Void, thus giving them powers.

Kaleen discovered the ship and one of the kids (Ember) was startled by her presence and accidentally / out of fear / with no control burnt the S#&$ out of her.

I have no idea how you people are jumping to conclusions with being burnt by someone turning you into a Tenno or the people interviewing being sentients, lol...

It's just the Orikin being galactic douchebags and starting up their own Spartan: Space Ninja Edition program by launching shuttles filled with children into the Void, hence the knowing "that would breach procedure" (terrible paraphrase).

kaleen is a sentient, thats clear from who she's reporting to. ember answered to the orikin back then

Due to feedback, I removed Kaleen as a name from the codex proposal. I also clarified that Amera is a Tenno agent

Edited by (PS4)RaivynLyken

Yeah, currently the descriptions are a bare minimum and some of the Warframe entries are used for a lore dumb.

I think i remember the devs saying in a livestream that they want to expand the codex entries. That's at least 2 or 3 months ago, but it is on their list. So perhaps we soon get some small info dumb on each unit that gives a bit of insight in their respective faction. Like if Crewmen are conscripted, hired or brainwashed into service, or why the Infested would waste a perfectly fine body for a suicide unit while they have plenty of damaged bodies lying around.

As for the lore dumbs. I think they should be removed from the Warframes. If someone goes to the codex to get some info on the next frame he or she wants, they should not be greeted with a large wall of text that has nothing to do with the Warframe.

That should be in their own entries.

Hey, perhaps they could hide tablets or orokin data unit around the different missions and when you scan them you unlock the lore entries. A bit of a treasure hunt.

". The panels flashing small blips of activity between power surges.Ember turned her head before she took in a small breath, Rhino having only done the same".

Maybe im tired but what the hell does ember and rhino'a breathing and head locations have to do with the story? Seems you put this in here to drop names, but do we really need to know or care what warframes are present in this scene, since they do little more than "pose". Im not here to bash writing skills, but this line made no sense to me and ther eis no reason for it to exist in the codex entry in the first place.

Before I respond to these, I will say I appreciate the feedback. To me this is something that is rather important and does help influence and shape creative writing, but also something that is interesting to me. Some do and do not like the expanded Codex entries. I know a few that absolutely want more lore and hate that it is so limited and with so little back story; they want more. This is what intrigued me to do one for Nekros, whom I have almost 90 hours on alone. Him being my most played and favored Warframe

Yeah, currently the descriptions are a bare minimum and some of the Warframe entries are used for a lore dumb.

I think i remember the devs saying in a livestream that they want to expand the codex entries. That's at least 2 or 3 months ago, but it is on their list. So perhaps we soon get some small info dumb on each unit that gives a bit of insight in their respective faction. Like if Crewmen are conscripted, hired or brainwashed into service, or why the Infested would waste a perfectly fine body for a suicide unit while they have plenty of damaged bodies lying around.

As for the lore dumbs. I think they should be removed from the Warframes. If someone goes to the codex to get some info on the next frame he or she wants, they should not be greeted with a large wall of text that has nothing to do with the Warframe.

That should be in their own entries.

Hey, perhaps they could hide tablets or orokin data unit around the different missions and when you scan them you unlock the lore entries. A bit of a treasure hunt.

In a way I do think the use of Codex entries is dumb, I also find them intriguing as you do have to work for them. In a way, I don't think DE intended on giving us a game full of story that's a living and breathing thing. After having read them, which is something I like to do (read), I felt my heart sink a bit to realize there was not a bunch of lore. Instead we are given something to work on and knit together. 

I would think that the Orokin Data cells would be interesting. A console or something to hunt down inside of Towers or Derelict missions. I do think the fact that Ember had one and Excalibur did, we were just handed a rear end of nothing. I'm also working on a Codex entry for one of my absolute favorites: Valkyr. I'm having to make sure my facts are right regarding Prince Alad V, Zanuka Project, and of course how this wants to be worded.

". The panels flashing small blips of activity between power surges.Ember turned her head before she took in a small breath, Rhino having only done the same".

Maybe im tired but what the hell does ember and rhino'a breathing and head locations have to do with the story? Seems you put this in here to drop names, but do we really need to know or care what warframes are present in this scene, since they do little more than "pose". Im not here to bash writing skills, but this line made no sense to me and ther eis no reason for it to exist in the codex entry in the first place.

I used this as a way to get some life into it, to give some idea that perhaps two of the Tenno themselves were animated, alive, and not just a "figure inside of a universe that has been built. This could also give the idea of something having occurred to bring them into a control room where they would be obtaining the information regarding the whereabouts of Nekros and as I've named him: Shen. It just seems to me, that is, that this gives an idea that Warframe users (as you know only the suit is a Warframe) are mere humans with a mutation due to the technocyte virus, that's depending on how much of Darksector is cannon in the Warframe universe.

I'm playing on the assumption that Kaleen could have been infected and becoming a Tenno and being able to control fire due to her affliction that Ember placed upon her.

Do you have any idea how many Tenno-powered Corpus and Grineer would be around if that were the case?

I'm going to go on the assumption that they're keeping it safely vague. They may be toying with where the Lore is going, so they have to tip-toe to keep things tight, and only hint at the correct things.

There are probably some aspects that need to be fleshed out story-wise before the Codex can really have too much information. It's all very vague, with good reason, and while they could expand that vagueness to at least a more descriptive paragraph, we'll see what happens.

The intention seems to be keeping the frames very "personality neutral". Unlike, say, champions in League of Legends, who are very characterized, Warframes are very, very neutral. Only so much can be said.

I'm going to go on the assumption that they're keeping it safely vague. They may be toying with where the Lore is going, so they have to tip-toe to keep things tight, and only hint at the correct things.

There are probably some aspects that need to be fleshed out story-wise before the Codex can really have too much information. It's all very vague, with good reason, and while they could expand that vagueness to at least a more descriptive paragraph, we'll see what happens.

The intention seems to be keeping the frames very "personality neutral". Unlike, say, champions in League of Legends, who are very characterized, Warframes are very, very neutral. Only so much can be said.

While I agree to this, I also in a sense disagree. The one thing Warframe lacks, which is drawing me away slowly, is the lore. As we do know, Dark Sector is cannon, which gives us a semi-decent back story. It gave us an idea where the events with the Infested started. The issue at hand isn't just that. It's the idea that we don't have a background behind each Warframe. While they can tie into the preset events that they have made already in the codex, we could still use origin stories, much like we did with Excalibur and Ember.

The idea I came up with doesn't have to be used per-say, I would still like the get the idea of what origins we have for the frames. As you can tell, I've played off the lore we know, and hope that I can get some feedback from DE. It would be at least honorable of them to acknowledge the need for improved codex entries.