Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reach Mod Adds 30%, Instead Of 60% As Shown On The Mod?

KingTaro

225px-ReachModU145.png

The main question is off course, what is defined as the weapon range?

Is it the distance between you and the enemy (what I assumed) or is it the hitbox of the weapon that gets increased in size?

If it's the distance between the player and the target, then the Reach mod only seems to boost it by 30%.

What I mean is, if I am able to hit the enemies 3 meters away. With the mod I'll manage to hit them at around 4m, instead 5m.

If it's just the hitbox, then it makes sense why the reach of a staff would be increased by 30% only.
Since the staff is a double edged weapon, the hitbox increase of 60% means that it increases by 30% on both sides.

oA6EBOV.png

But what about a sword? I mean, it only has one side.
Does that mean that the hitbox of the sword also gets increased by 30% on both sides?

q2jXAH3.png

That would explain why the sword reach is also only boosted by 30%.
However, I think it needs some fixing then. There is no need for a 30% reach boost on the hilt side.

This is how it should have been for swords:

vsm7YzW.png

Testings:

It's difficult to grasp the range with and without the mod on. For my testings I've been recording the gameplay from the top view while also using the ingame marker (G by default). Went through the video frame by frame. And every time, the hit distance between me and the target was only increased by around 30%.

@Renegade if it works that way, dont you thing it sucks major .... tralalala?

What I mean is: 

If he did not know that while testing, then his findings may be just because of how the formula works. 

If he did know that while testing, then his findings would have value. 

Just wondering, but did you know that Reach adds the range of the weapon by: 

Initial_Weapon_Range * (1 + Reach_Value/100).

Would that help you with explaining your answer?

Yes, that's the right formule.

So a 3m range weapon should be boosted to 4,8m (around 5m) instead of 3.9m (around 4m).

EDIT:

The main question is, off course, how that Initial range is defined.

Is it the hitbox or the distance between the player and the target?

Edited by KingTaro

Just wondering, but did you know that Reach adds the range of the weapon by: 

Initial_Weapon_Range * (1 + Reach_Value/100).

Would that help you with explaining your answer?

Assuming the lack of a space is implied parentheses, that is exactly how it should work. That is simply boosting the range by the percentage shown on the card.

Test that with Codex Scanners (since Codex Scanners have a metre range into it) and a single blade weapon. 

You can actually use the marker (G by default), instead of a scanner. The marker will display the distance as well.

Anyway, the tests have been done. Reach increases the Sword distance by 30% as well.

However, it's hard to tell why the distance between the player and the target is increased by 30%.

It could be the misplaced hitbox as shown above or the Reach is simply bugged.

Maybe it's only the hitbox of the "blade" part, but in this case, it wouldn't explain why Orthos Prime gets such a huge boost with its tiny blades.

I really hope DE adds a "range" stat in meters under the UI.

You can actually use the marker (G by default), instead of a scanner. The marker will display the distance as well.

The marker is imprecise. It only goes to the smallest integer place. 

Maybe it's only the hitbox of the "blade" part, but in this case, it wouldn't explain why Orthos Prime gets such a huge boost with its tiny blades.

The Orthos Prime itself already has a huge reach initially. That means adding Reach would have a larger effect overall.