Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Persistent Stuttering

MillbrookWest

Thanks so much for all the info so far; I've merged your threads to keep it all in one place

Safe to say you're tech savvy at this point, so I'm interested in seeing what your resource monitor looks like when a stutter occurs. Also safe to say the response time is going to shoot up under disk activity for Warframe.x64.exe after watching your videos, but I'm curious by exactly how much.

Edited by Xander

I can get this too on occasion. Sometimes I will even get a couple second long pause, then my monitor goes to standby for a second (blue led goes to amber and screen turns off). Then the monitor comes back on, and I see the windows desktop. Warframe is still running, when I click the Warframe icon in the taskbar, I still only see my windows desktop, but I can hear the game and interact with the game with key presses (judging from the sounds it makes, like my gun firing when I press the left mouse button).

It's almost like it's causing a graphics driver crash and restart. I'll check the event logs and see if there is anything posted in there. NVIDIA GTX 970 on the latest drivers, with a Acer 27" G-Sync monitor. Game is running in Fullscreen mode (as that is required for G-Sync to work).

It looks like you're also active on PS4 (or have a doppleganger). Are you seeing the stutters like OP on both platforms, or just PC?

I'm running warframe with bootcamp ahah and it used to run amazing with every setting on high, turned off v sync and had 100fps then yesterday it started dipping to 20fps :( been like that ever since. Haven't changed a setting since it ran like silk now it's like sandpaper but I can attest to the ps4 version being superb.  :'(. P.S. Yes, I am the same dude! Suprised someone on the DE staff knows me 0_0

Edited by TheArrowOfGod

Stutters like this happen for me as well (GTX 760), they even occur while on the liset. I noticed this started happening sometime in the past few months and I havn't had any stutters like this happen in the other games that I play. Sometimes they are quick little pauses and other times they can last up to 2-3 seconds. Most of my hangs occur while aboard the liset, but it does happen maybe once a mission (if its an endless).

I can get this too on occasion. Sometimes I will even get a couple second long pause, then my monitor goes to standby for a second (blue led goes to amber and screen turns off). Then the monitor comes back on, and I see the windows desktop. Warframe is still running, when I click the Warframe icon in the taskbar, I still only see my windows desktop, but I can hear the game and interact with the game with key presses (judging from the sounds it makes, like my gun firing when I press the left mouse button).

It's almost like it's causing a graphics driver crash and restart. I'll check the event logs and see if there is anything posted in there. NVIDIA GTX 970 on the latest drivers, with a Acer 27" G-Sync monitor. Game is running in Fullscreen mode (as that is required for G-Sync to work).

Going on your description, that does sound like the display driver is crashing on you. Try to keep an eye on your Processes in Task Manager the next time this happens, and let me know if you see a svcHost.exe start growing in memory.

Edited by Xander

I've been having similar stuttering issues however the fluctuation seems farm more tame than what has been previously reported.

I have been running some tests to isolate the cause, but my hunch is that it's related to the new sound environment and effects.

that happens to me with my gtx 970 as well. warframe still running but it's stuck to taskbar and i can hear/shoot etc.

to throw more information on the pile:

i don't believe i'm encountering this, the only performance related issue i can think of recently is that in the Gas City Tileset there's always one or two points in the Mission where the game will freeze for two or three seconds, and then recover as normal.

100% rate of occuring, even if i go back through such areas again and again, happens each time.

seems almost like it's reloading the entire game while it's running or something, hell, i don't really know at all.

but it only happens in Gas City and maybe one other Tileset, and only for the past couple weeks give or take a week.

Probably a different issue, but sometimes the game will hang for a few seconds for me, then throw up some random image from my session and then it's the same as the minimized game bug others have reported. I can confirm this is a driver crash issue. GT 750M, i7-4700MQ.

Hey, so, I think I'm on to something:

I mentioned earlier that I don't have this problem, despite having a lower-grade nvidia card, but I *DO* have a problem when clouds are generated--gas clouds, fog clouds... even the explosive cloud from a frozen explosive barrel.

The thing is, I fire maybe 8 bullets per week--I'm almost exclusively making kills with melee and powers.

On the other hand, the video showed all of the stuttering experienced while firing a gun(which, incidentally, creates the muzzle flash).

Try going full melee, and see if this alleviates your stuttering problem.

This seems to make the most sense, as I went an entire mission without any stutter(using melee), until I hit an ice barrel(which immediately tanked my frame rate).

Hey, so, I think I'm on to something:

I mentioned earlier that I don't have this problem, despite having a lower-grade nvidia card, but I *DO* have a problem when clouds are generated--gas clouds, fog clouds... even the explosive cloud from a frozen explosive barrel.

The thing is, I fire maybe 8 bullets per week--I'm almost exclusively making kills with melee and powers.

On the other hand, the video showed all of the stuttering experienced while firing a gun(which, incidentally, creates the muzzle flash).

Try going full melee, and see if this alleviates your stuttering problem.

This seems to make the most sense, as I went an entire mission without any stutter(using melee), until I hit an ice barrel(which immediately tanked my frame rate).

Sounds like a lag issue with particle quality and/or PhysX (Millbrook's smart running PhysX on its own card; PhysX eats 30-40% of the GPU at peak times).

His problem is different, however: he doesn't just have lag spikes, his screen literally stops drawing for a fraction of a second (which lowers his FPS to 2/3 to 1/2 due to averaging for that moment). He did test PhysX with other games and being off in Warframe and his issue still persisted. I still want him to test with all graphical effects off in Warframe to test for such regressions (a long while back, a friend reported better performance with some details set to 'High', than 'Low').

i had the driver crash problem for a while, newest drivers and increasing the page file size fixed my problems.

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/simple-ways-to-increase-your-computers-performace-configuring-the-paging-file/How to increase page fle size in windows 7,8 and 8.1

(my page file was sitting at the same amount as my RAM stock. i changed it to 1.5 times the amount as per recommendations. i have GTX970)

Edited by Adaptor-Face

Thanks so much for all the info so far; I've merged your threads to keep it all in one place

Safe to say you're tech savvy at this point, so I'm interested in seeing what your resource monitor looks like when a stutter occurs. Also safe to say the response time is going to shoot up under disk activity for Warframe.x64.exe after watching your videos, but I'm curious by exactly how much.

I have a Video capture with Resource monitor running in the background. However, the the polling rate doesn't seem to pick up spikes in the values. I can still provide it if the warframe.x64.exe specific readout is required?

I do have the drive Total activity for the previous graph (as a percentage), i don't know if it will help with consistency but i've added it to the graph i provided earlier:

warframereads2qnup1.png

The Y-axis values are still correct for the SSD writes (40MB/s+ reads)

Again, if need be, i can submit the spreadsheet with all the values i logged running warframe?

Pagefile usage, CPU ratois, Disk activity for all drives, even Hard drive temps, etc etc.

There does seem to be a lot of Pagefile activity. Again, i can overlay this on the above graph if need be. My pagefile is on the WD Red HDD, However, i have run Warframe with the Pagefile on the Samsung SSD, and there was no difference.

EDIT:
Uploaded a clip with Resource monitor running. The files it references in the 'Disk activity' are the same files i posted in an earlier post; Which were taking long times to read.

stutter1aquwr.png
stutter2hkus8.png

Sounds like a lag issue with particle quality and/or PhysX (Millbrook's smart running PhysX on its own card; PhysX eats 30-40% of the GPU at peak times).

His problem is different, however: he doesn't just have lag spikes, his screen literally stops drawing for a fraction of a second (which lowers his FPS to 2/3 to 1/2 due to averaging for that moment). He did test PhysX with other games and being off in Warframe and his issue still persisted. I still want him to test with all graphical effects off in Warframe to test for such regressions (a long while back, a friend reported better performance with some details set to 'High', than 'Low').

Ran it at low, even in windowed mode at the lowest resolution. Still stuttering im afraid.

Edited by MillbrookWest

I take it this means I stated it wrong.

When playing in solo mod(so I know, for a fact, I am the host), I, at times, am having my frame rate drop to effectively 0--one frame, frozen, on screen, for up to 11 seconds in one case, usually no more than 2 or 3 seconds. That's EXACTLY what he's experiencing, only for much smaller intervals, likely because he has a much better graphics card. My screen literally stops drawing, but for somewhat longer durations.

I experience this less-often than him, but, again, as I said, in all of the example videos, it was happening while he was firing his gun, a thing which I do not do, as I'm perpetually stabbing things.

Hence the reason it would make sense to see if using melee-only changes things for him.

Going on your description, that does sound like the display driver is crashing on you. Try to keep an eye on your Processes in Task Manager the next time this happens, and let me know if you see a svcHost.exe start growing in memory.

Xander, no svchost.exe growing in memory. It's definitely a graphics driver crash as it is being logged in the Windows Event Manager. It's throwing two critical events Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\UVMLiteProcess1

Graphics Exception: MISSING_MACRO_DATA

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\UVMLiteProcess1

Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000001

Then an event 4101 from Display:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Today it did it when I logged in and went to open the market place. Pause, then crash. When I googled the error code, I found another post on the forums here with a user having the same issue.

Edited by weezedog