Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Allow Me To Introduce You To The Concept Of Consistency...

[DE]Grzegorz

con·sis·ten·cy

(kən-sĭs′tən-sē)

n. pl. con·sis·ten·cies
a. Agreement or logical coherence among things or parts: a rambling argument that lacked any consistency.
b. Correspondence among related aspects; compatibility: questioned the consistency of the administration's actions with its stated policy.
2. Reliability or uniformity of successive results or events: pitched with remarkable consistency throughout the season.
3. Degree of density, firmness, or viscosity: beat the mixture to the consistency of soft butter.

New HP bars are fine and dandy but...

kwQRX.jpg

Players.

kwQT6.jpg

Decoy.

kwR50.jpg

Enemy.

But what's wrong? you might ask.

This.

kwR6x.jpg

kwR7L.jpg

kwRgO.jpg

Would you kindly please move the shield bar to the left? It would be consistent with what we've been using for... like 3 years or so.

Edited by Mofixil

i dont agree with this, it has made sense to me, because the player indicators are linked to the right side of the screen and are "consumed" towards that side, when the target lifebars are floating they dont need to be linked to a meaningful side of the screen thus are free to get consumed in the usual occidental way, where things start from the left and develop to the right, or inverse, things get emptied form right to left

if you want, you can simply omit my argument, i feel fine with how it is working, doenst feel inconsistent for me

Edited by rockscl

i dont agree with this, it has made sense to me, because the player indicators are linked to the right side of the screen and are "consumed" towards that side, when the target lifebars are floating they dont need to be linked to a meaningful side of the screen thus are free to get consumed in the usual occidental way, where things start from the left and develop to the right, or inverse, things get emptied form right to left

if you want, you can simply omit my argument, i feel fine with how it is working, doenst feel inconsistent for me

You know what would be nice? An option.

Though my opinion is that in its current form, this element of UI is inconsistent with everything else.

Edited by Mofixil

I do see your point. I think if you are standing behind the enemy the shields are on the left, which makes it consistent based on the POV instead of always rendering the same way. I would prefer it always to show the same way regardless of the POV, and I would consider that a better UI design since it reduces cognitive load of the player which reduces frustration.

I do see your point. I think if you are standing behind the enemy the shields are on the left, which makes it consistent based on the POV instead of always rendering the same way. I would prefer it always to show the same way regardless of the POV, and I would consider that a better UI design since it reduces cognitive load of the player which reduces frustration.

HP bar is backwards regardless of enemy/player position.

HP bar is backwards regardless of enemy/player position.

No it isn't, that's not what he means.

He's saying that the healthbar is consistent with the POV of whoever has it, so enemies looking at us would see the same thing.

Think of the hud as a physical projection, not just a player thing. Kinda like Dead Space's menu's, you could rotate the camera and then see behind the HUD, same thing is happening here.

This also kinda explains why the HUD "moves" for players when you move the camera. Very concious design choice.

Edited by ReizoRyuu

It depends if we interpret this as projected by enemy or as projected on our HUD over given enemy.

In the first case, it's completely true, but then we might as well write the level backwards, as it would match enemy pov.

If the latter is true, then my concerns are completely valid. And seeing how the level isn't backwards (or the now missing text under enemies isn't backwards) I can safely assume that it is "projected" from the players' pov, and should be consistent with other HUD elements.

At any rate, something still is inconsistent.

Edited by Mofixil