Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Iron Skin Gates For Rhinos!

Zarozian

What is a Iron Skin Gate?

-A Iron Skin Gate is a mechanic that prevents our Iron Skin dropping too rapidly! 

Why should we have one?

- Our Iron Skin is either going to be too tanky or too weak, with no middle ground the balance it out. When fighting stronger and multiple harder enemies it just drops and runs out and we would die in that split second during recast!

We would have no time to prepare ourselves to get a safe distance away, or while we're trying to revive allies in the heat of battle! >;( 

- A iron skin gate would enrich gameplay by removing one-shot kills.

- It will allow Rhino's freedom to react accordingly and how they choose to react to multiple high damage enemies and various situations without removing the enemy's threat.

- The fact that one-shot kills exist is a reason why rhino is less popular than tanks like Valkyr.

- It gives Rhinos much bit more build freedom by allowing use of other things besides specialized niche builds + tactics(such as heavy CC spam in order to not get hit).

Iron Skin Gate features

- Iron Skin Gate - Iron Skin will have a 1 sec invulnerability every time Iron Skin HP drops 25%, before damage begins to leak into the next 25%.

- Iron Skin Break Invulnerability(ISBI) - Protects health for 1 second immediately after Iron Skin has been depleted(Has a cooldown of 60 seconds). Note: The duration of the invulnerable phase is based on the duration of the smoky flakes that appears when our Iron Skin fades.

Picture of the smoky fade for reference:

RfwuL0l.jpg
Sexy.

That smoke lasts for 1 second.

The cooldown would only apply to the invulnerability(ISBI) period.

- Self-harm damage would completely bypass all iron skin gate features to prevent abuse.

Why is the invulnerability(ISBI) necessary?

The invulnerability is necessary to facilitate the survival of Rhino under hordes of enemy fire. Without this feature the gating effect would be insufficient as the player is frequently receiving fire from multiple sources.

Here's a scenario detailing the Iron Skin Gate:

Scenario

Your Rhino has 1200(100%).

You get shot by a bullet that deals 1000 damage.

You are left with 900(75%).

Another bullet dealing 400 damage hits you but you don't take damage for 1.0 seconds. 

After that a third bullet hits you.

You are left with 600(50%) which results in another 1.0 sec invulnerability phase.

Your butt would be saved so many times by this.

Synopsis

A Iron Skin Gate will allow Rhino players the freedom to allow more variety in their builds, in high level/endless play without trivializing the enemy threat, or having a profound effect on lower levels by giving shields a small but greatly beneficial effect. It will also allow maximization for any and all Rhino builds. Should players want to maximize on becoming completely tanky without any duration, they are able to do so, and should a player want to go full CC with Rhino, they can do so as well without entirely jeopardizing their tankiness!

Inspired by: Sentient's Damage Resistance Adaption & EmptyDevil's thread on Shield Gates:

while gating is potentially a good idea - i don't really understand or approve your view of the Player using Strategy/Tactics as if it's something that's bad.

The way Rhino's Iron Skin is now, is that it sacrifices way too much of the other for way too little of what you are going for.

For example. If you wanted to focus all around Iron Skin, and as a result, higher power strength as well, you wouldn't be able to achieve that potency no matter how much you focus everything into it, and at the same time you sacrifice way too much for way too little, and it's vice versa for other builds as well.

If you focus everything on CC you're going to need to keep spamming that Rhino Stomp, otherwise a single slip up will destroy your Iron Skin with a single bullet, and kill you with the next one. The way Rhino is right now, doesn't allow focused specialization, it forces us to keep some sort of balance between both builds, while at the same time it forces us to sacrifice necessary mods for other mods like augments which ends up with the same results.

TL;DR: We're sacrificing something for the same thing we sacrificed in return. In the end it just goes nowhere.

Just one gate when Iron Skin runs out would be very useful, especially if you combine it with one gate when Shield runs out on all frames (and Sentinels and Kubrow and Rescue targets and Specters and helpers). In fact, I wouldn't mind if Shield gates were extended to all enemies as well - with exceptions for when Shield is used to fuel damage, for example, like with Mag's Shield Polarize.

You could even fluff the Shield gates as breaking the shield messes up the field temporarily, so everything is reflected/absorbed/whatever. I'd try wording it better, but it's been a long day and I'm tired.

Edited by Omegaboot

> tells me rhino is perfect

> runs off to tell everyone he needs work

you're noooot wroooooooooong, he is a piece of crap after all

but dam, these inconsistencies and you calling me a hypocrite - w-

I don't feel the impact that these gates would make, as "one shot" does not ever occur in any practical scenario...Bullet dealing 1000? yeah, we might see that after 2 hours of the game. But outside of those nasty strun crewman and sniper units, damage intake is usually not burst but dps, and 1 gate stops dps about as well as 4 gates would

Edited by KuroNekoXlll

> tells me rhino is perfect

> runs off to tell everyone he needs work

you're noooot wroooooooooong, he is a piece of crap after all

but dam, these inconsistencies and you calling me a hypocrite - w-

I don't feel the impact that these gates would make, as "one shot" does not ever occur in any practical scenario...Bullet dealing 1000? yeah, we might see that after 2 hours of the game. But outside of those nasty strun crewman and sniper units, damage intake is usually not burst but dps, and 1 gate stops dps about as well as 4 gates would

Noooooooooooooooooooo~

I'm saying their rework and buff did nothing to him cause I feel no stronger when playing Rhino. =/

Just one gate when Iron Skin runs out would be very useful, especially if you combine it with one gate when Shield runs out on all frames (and Sentinels and Kubrow and Rescue targets and Specters and helpers). In fact, I wouldn't mind if Shield gates were extended to all enemies as well - with exceptions for when Shield is used to fuel damage, for example, like with Mag's Shield Polarize.

You could even fluff the Shield gates as breaking the shield messes up the field temporarily, so everything is reflected/absorbed/whatever. I'd try wording it better, but it's been a long day and I'm tired.

Yeah that is a good idea~

But we have Sentients with that already though.

And Lech Kril & Tyl Regor has something similar. Bosses with different phases would be cool.

-snip-

more like:

tl;dr - i'm another Player that thinks if an Ability(ies) benefit from a Mod Effect, in order for them to be 'useful', that Mod Effect needs to be at it's statistically highest possible.

you have 4 Abilities. if you setup your Mods to focus on just one or two, you have no room for complaints when your Warframe performs poorly.

Like it will push back and knock down enemies when he Roars.

Stomp is already a better Knockdown - probably best for it to Stagger.

I wouldn't mind if Shield gates were extended to all enemies as well

balance nightmare. unless Precision Weapons can ignore Shield Gating without losing much Damage, they instantly become useless if you do that.

spray and pray Weapons are already popular enough, methinks.

Shield Gating, like any large game feature, can't just be added or removed willy nilly.

Edited by [DE]Danielle
Removed antagonizing remark

Absolutely not, the biggest mistake DE can do right now is changing iron skin in any way. Its absolutely perfect. Scales perfectly.

edit: 

Lmao what the hell is this topic? There is already a "gate" that you want so badly, its called the 3 second invulnerability that you get.

Power strength builds benefit 1,2 and 3rd abilities, if you want to go massive CC for rhino stomp, chances are youre not going to be getting hit a lot in the first place, besides that build is pretty niche.

Im not exactly sure what missions youre playing where a 25000 hp ironclad skin gets burst down in 2 seconds for you. Lv500 enemies?

Edited by Qynchou

Iron skin perfect right now. This was way worse before. Now, when i met 2-3 scorchers, coupled with bombard and heavygunner - im running to them. They can pump so much damage into my skin, that this can stay till end of mission, incase of sortie stage 3 interception, even if it was done on 1st wave. They even nerfed selfdamage possibitilies, not tryed it by myselfe, but heard, that this was insanely OP

Well I would say it scales better now but I would rather trade the 4 secs of absorb to a plain hp buff for iron skin imo honestly I like where rhino is its valkyr that's the problem if she didn't have god mode would we be discussing this?

Cause at the end of the day it really is just a cc orgie outside valkyr noobs who press 4 and eat a sandwich and bring nothing to the team oh wait I'm sorry they can revive lmao

Edited by (PS4)Ninja_Reaper_916

more like:

tl;dr - i'm another Player that thinks if an Ability(ies) benefit from a Mod Effect, in order for them to be 'useful', that Mod Effect needs to be at it's statistically highest possible.

you have 4 Abilities. if you setup your Mods to focus on just one or two, you have no room for complaints when your Warframe performs poorly.

Stomp is already a better Knockdown - probably best for it to Stagger.

balance nightmare. unless Precision Weapons can ignore Shield Gating without losing much Damage, they instantly become useless if you do that.

spray and pray Weapons are already popular enough, methinks.

Shield Gating, like any large game feature, can't just be added or removed willy nilly.

I'm saying that the rework has crippled the tank build, it now needs armor mods to be tanky which forces you to sacrifice another mod, like a power strength mod, to add in a maxed steel fiber, only to weaken your other abilities and boost Iron Skin back up to how it was before.

As it stands right now, Iron Skin is no stronger than pre-rework. They only added 3 second invulnerability at the start and a fancy absorption, but that's it! That's all that happened!

If anything. They should of added that 3 second invulnerability for when Iron Skin runs out.

Absolutely not, the biggest mistake DE can do right now is changing iron skin in any way. Its absolutely perfect. Scales perfectly.

edit: 

Lmao what the hell is this topic? There is already a "gate" that you want so badly, its called the 3 second invulnerability that you get.

Power strength builds benefit 1,2 and 3rd abilities, if you want to go massive CC for rhino stomp, chances are youre not going to be getting hit a lot in the first place, besides that build is pretty niche.

Im not exactly sure what missions youre playing where a 25000 hp ironclad skin gets burst down in 2 seconds for you. Lv500 enemies?

That's not a gate. That's something totally useless unless you abuse it with the lasers in T4 defense to gain 2million Iron Skin HP. Not only is it broken but its useless everywhere else, only being useful in the most dire of situations but becomes pointless once the 3 secs are up. The absorption doesn't absorb enough and that iron clad skin of yours only works when there's enough enemies clustered together for you to achieve that amount, however enemies will rarely cluster together like that or even give you a moment to charge at them, the charge at the end takes too much time and by then your Iron Skin will be halved and disperse the next few seconds if you don't move. Not to mention the mods you need to sacrifice to achieve that, such as redirection and vitality, your Rhino instantly die once that Iron Skin runs out.

If you want something that truly scales, then gates are the answer. As for maximizing CC and not getting touched at all, rather than looking at it that way, its more like keep the CC up or your fragile &#! will die. Also I've been fighting enemies who can adapt to CC and become immune to it entirely, and Stomp becomes nothing more than just a knockdown, as such I wanted Roar to be able to push back and knock enemies down to double the CC on them and bolster my damage at the same time.

Edited by [DE]Danielle