Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why Warframe's Newbie Experience Is Terrible Right Now.

Xylia

Man, it was right before No Return Buff, 9.3, I believe.

Nope, 9.5.1

With or without dumping platinum into Armor Ignore weapons?

Lemme guess, you bought yourself a Paris or something as soon as you started?

With or without dumping platinum into Armor Ignore weapons?

Lemme guess, you bought yourself a Paris or something as soon as you started?

No, I wasn't dumping platinum and until first Control module farmed I didn't bought anything with plat at all.

First weapon crafted was Burston. Second was the Amphis. None of weapon were bought with plat.

I started after update 9 and didn't have nearly as much difficulty soloing most content up to lv 25 with the exception of defense missions.

How? By being patient, grinding up levels, and learning the game.

low lv enemies currently give near the same amount of exp as high lv enemies, so you can actually level just as fast on mercury as you do anywhere else.

Edited by Fundance

I recently started playing (since update 9.5?) and so far not having much problem playing the game tbh. It was before the loot table got bugged and then changed to 2.0 though.

Anyways, about defense missions. I have to agree that in the later stages it is pretty much a road-block especially on the Grineer Power Core IMO. The thing is do damn large and hard to protect from flying projectiles and stuff.

I'm not sure about the mod drops though since I started playing before Drop Table 2.0.

Back in the day, when I was a noob my best choice was to get the Strun, that shot gun coupled with any damage mods will be your best friend well into the later levels when you get a Hek or some other weapon. There is also an entire chat channel devoted to locating people who would be willing to help you run missions. If you join a clan it is also possible to power level a person from unranked to max or near it in one day. If this game seems unfriendly I think its only when you try to solo it and not seek out the tons of people who are playing with you. 

Lesson, reach out, someone will help.

Very first mission on Mars, got a Cryo Rounds.

lol.

Also found a Stormbringer while doing Vay Hek, and also a Neurodes (I already had one) so now I can finally make a Boltor with the Salvage I found on Mars. Mars is ridiculously easy now with a Rank4 Stormbringer and Rank4 Ammo Drum, lol.

So basically, the whole newbie thing is:

1). Farm Farm Farm your butt off to buy a Braton

2). Kill Vor until he drops a Morphics (so you can make Cronus)

3). Enjoy Venus while you can -- the next part sucks

4). Slog your way through Earth (and its ridiculous Mobile Defense mission)

5). Get to Mars, PROFIT!

Edited by Xylia

When i started this game i also got carried by 2 of my friends who had a reasonable gear enough to somewhat deal with starting content.

I just stayed with them collecting materials enough to get the first piece of equipment enough to easily take the rank 2 test and after that i got my rhino out of the oven as well as my scindo and started dominating defense missions for loot, back when iron skin was godlike. That lasted for quite some time till i got my second frame that being frost which i used to go on more advanced defense missions without worrying that my teammates will let the pod die. Then i got my founders pack which allowed me to keep increasing my rank and gaining powerful weaponry which then allowed me to farm better missions for better mods etc

I can safely say that if i did't get carried by my friends then i'd just end up none stop farming for rhino with my starting gear, i'd be burned out by the time i got rhino and then i'd stop playing the game. It's not fun trying to advance faster than a snails pace when your starting weapons do as much as tickle the enemies beyond the first planet.

Now it's even more difficult with transition on most weapons to craft only and the increase of cost on starting weapons which you can buy.

I think DE misjudged the idea of players having a bizillion credits because of the newly introduced void missions which give you a shizz ton so they thought that everyone can get credits easily when those who have that many credits have been likely playing t3 voids which means that they have to have a decent gear already to farm them or even do them.

New Skill?

His new Tesla orb skill.

Here was the Old Captain Vor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjnVry0EqqY

New one just plants it everywhere and do extreme damage(did a lot of time using Loki without any health or shield mod). Especially when the orb lands on you. Too much damage and instant death. At least for him to put orbs down it should be in nightmare difficulty instead of normal. How are newbies suppose to pass this alone?

Edited by Makemap

His new Tesla orb skill.

Here was the Old Captain Vor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjnVry0EqqY

New one just plants it everywhere and do extreme damage(did a lot of time using Loki without any health or shield mod). Especially when the orb lands on you. Too much damage and instant death. At least for him to put orbs down it should be in nightmare difficulty instead of normal. How are newbies suppose to pass this alone?

While I am always vouching for making the game accessible to newbies, his Tesla spheres aren't THAT bad. The only thing I wish he didn't do was stick them to you (they could make it so you can roll to shake it off like seeker grenades).

I beat him as a newbie, solo, with an unmodded Braton. It was... a touch difficult as it took nearly all of my ammo, but I still did it.

While I am always vouching for making the game accessible to newbies, his Tesla spheres aren't THAT bad. The only thing I wish he didn't do was stick them to you (they could make it so you can roll to shake it off like seeker grenades).

I beat him as a newbie, solo, with an unmodded Braton. It was... a touch difficult as it took nearly all of my ammo, but I still did it.

Vor being able to stick you with the teslas is stupid, but, other than that, his minions (the HUGE number of grineer who start in the room w/ him) actually gave me more trouble than he did as a newbie. Their rain of gunfire forced me into a corner, where I had no way to get away from Vor's Teslas >.<

Vor being able to stick you with the teslas is stupid, but, other than that, his minions (the HUGE number of grineer who start in the room w/ him) actually gave me more trouble than he did as a newbie. Their rain of gunfire forced me into a corner, where I had no way to get away from Vor's Teslas >.<

Use the Long Bridge with the large crates.

Vor will almost never teleport inside of it, and the waist-high railing provides fairly good cover from all the fire, as do the crates on that bridge. If he DOES teleport onto that bridge, just run away to somewhere else in the room and take the time to kill some more of his little goons.

The main issue is that most game info isn't in the game.

Actual weapon stats, drop rates, actual effects of abilities and their upgrades, sentinel precept placement, damage types, etc. The tutorial is f*cking useless.

Wikis are much of the fun and intrigue of community based games. Check them, read them. Even the ridiculously noob-friendly Guild wars 2 has a wiki. In-depth information with numbers and terms tends to scare off casual gamers, so the developers keep it all hidden in games and players make it available on wikis.

Use the Long Bridge with the large crates.

Vor will almost never teleport inside of it, and the waist-high railing provides fairly good cover from all the fire, as do the crates on that bridge. If he DOES teleport onto that bridge, just run away to somewhere else in the room and take the time to kill some more of his little goons.

Really wish we had signatures. Mine would say "I can handle Vor fine, I just had a very bad first experience with him". Vor as a bad first boss is kinda my pet issue, but people always assume I don't know what to do with him NOW.

What also this game misses for newbies is the information/tutorial for using mods with polarities for the warframes and weapons. My first time playing this game I had no idea what all the things served for in the arsenal setion. I was lucky to have friends that played it before and have helped me. But if I hadn't I can imagine getting pretty confused by having to look up everything on steam or wiki and be discouraged to play the game.

As a newer player I am finding some issues with the game. One thing is I can use a mod (take Vitality) to increase my stats but there is no way of seeing the before or after unless I do a mission and look at my shield or health at the start. When you rank up your weapons or warframe none of the stats change.  Also, the market seems a bit small and I keep seeing people mentioning Cronus as one of the earliest weapons to build but I can't find it on the market. It appears I have a lot of credits but nothing to spend them on since most of the market appears to use platinum.

As a newer player I am finding some issues with the game. One thing is I can use a mod (take Vitality) to increase my stats but there is no way of seeing the before or after unless I do a mission and look at my shield or health at the start. When you rank up your weapons or warframe none of the stats change.  Also, the market seems a bit small and I keep seeing people mentioning Cronus as one of the earliest weapons to build but I can't find it on the market. It appears I have a lot of credits but nothing to spend them on since most of the market appears to use platinum.

If you scroll a bit below, you'll see blueprints. It's the credit'n' resource way to get new stuff.

Cronus bp can be obtained by killing Vor and crafted for joke ammount of resources. Some prime gear can be obtained only via void, there is some clan weapon (And it's rivaling market weapon) and Vandal type (Gained via events|achievements, unobtainable after drawing the possibility to obtain once). You can't get everything by simply pumping money in plat and plat into game.

Edited by Icouldjustkissyou

One thing is I can use a mod (take Vitality) to increase my stats but there is no way of seeing the before or after unless I do a mission and look at my shield or health at the start. When you rank up your weapons or warframe none of the stats change.

This, admittedly, is one of the most annoying things to me. Virtually every other game, you can see exactly what an upgrade/mod/whatever has done for you, in WF you have to guess and hope the Wiki is right (Stretch, Continuity, et al). For a beginner, there is nothing in-game to help with this.

My suggestion would be for the tutorial to have the Mk1 Braton leveled up enough that you can fit an AP mod to it, and have the Lotus give that to the player and explain about mod slots and polarities. It also insures the player has at least a base-level AP to play with as it's still currently the most important damage type out there.

I started playing after(i think) update 9. I've been soloing the game almost my entire playthrough and tbh, vor isn't really that hard for newbies. It's just that he's a bullet sponge right of the bat, and he keeps spawning mobs to pester you while he relaxes in his hamsterball.

I started with loki, grinded first few missions on mercury, got my aklato, carried on over to venus (i had fun at the defenses there, though you really have to grind a lot before taking them on), then onto earth.

Lith is not that bad, it's infested, melee all the way (for me).

--The main problems for me were Lua(mobile defense) and that Vay Hek is an even bigger bullet sponge than vor.

-On lua, It just sucked that after defending two consoles, you have to do it again but this time you'll be peppered with a lot of heavies combined with powerfists and scorpions (irritating).

-With Vay Hek the need for damage was too great (shields recharging when out of combat for at least 2 seconds?) How will a newbie defeat Vay Hek with a burston/braton/aklato or whatever the hell he chooses as intermediate weapon? And you'd literally dump your whole ammo cache to get a nip at his health. But so far after that it's all smooth sailing after mars.

Oh yeah and about the stat changes after putting mods, i have to agree. As a newbie without any know-how about the game, how am i supposed to know what/how big the difference between 20% and 40% AP is? I only understood modding when i got to 3rd mission on mercury (sadly). There's a lot of things newbie will lift an eyebrow on, like: (Boltor vs Latron: since boltor has armor ignore wouldn't it be essentially the same if i slapped armor pierce on latron?) and such.

Lith is not that bad, it's infested, melee all the way (for me).

You're thinking Eurasia, the Infested Mobile Defense earlier on.

Lith is a Grineer Asteroid Defense (with the giant pillar in the middle you are supposedly supposed to protect that they can shoot from anywhere in the room).