Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is combo system necessary in the game, rather than ruin the mechanism??

DroopingPuppy

Well, you know, melee and sniper has combo system, that if you making consecutive attack/shots you get the accumulating benefit. But, is it really needed? It means you are compeled to only use such type of weapon and constantly make a hit, preventing you from do anyting else. Well, it is fine to raise the opportunity cost, but isn't the system makes the game rigid, rather than dynamic? All Tennos are able to use up to 4(or more if you have some main quests), a primary, a secondary and a melee weapon. You don't have to use all the tools you have, but is there any reason to keep something that forcing you to not using anything else? I don't get it. Give something flat bonus to these weapons seems a better idea, I think.

4 minutes ago, DroopingPuppy said:

Well, you know, melee and sniper has combo system, that if you making consecutive attack/shots you get the accumulating benefit. But, is it really needed? It means you are compeled to only use such type of weapon and constantly make a hit, preventing you from do anyting else. Well, it is fine to raise the opportunity cost, but isn't the system makes the game rigid, rather than dynamic? All Tennos are able to use up to 4(or more if you have some main quests), a primary, a secondary and a melee weapon. You don't have to use all the tools you have, but is there any reason to keep something that forcing you to not using anything else? I don't get it. Give something flat bonus to these weapons seems a better idea, I think.

Try Bing's translate instead of Google.

47 minutes ago, DroopingPuppy said:

It means you are compeled to only use such type of weapon and constantly make a hit, preventing you from do anyting else. Well, it is fine to raise the opportunity cost, but isn't the system makes the game rigid, rather than dynamic? All Tennos are able to use up to 4(or more if you have some main quests), a primary, a secondary and a melee weapon. You don't have to use all the tools you have, but is there any reason to keep something that forcing you to not using anything else?

That's a thing that Melee 3.0 is going to partially address - you're going to be able to fluidly use both, your fire arm and melee.

50 minutes ago, DroopingPuppy said:

Give something flat bonus to these weapons seems a better idea, I think.

In the long run buffing weapons with flat bonuses and getting rid of the combo systems wouldn't greatly nerf all of them.

47 minutes ago, Tsoe said:

well i dont use snipers... and i dont give a flying unicorn about the combo counter , cause i am using a Glaive and i trow it a lot...

Well, technically you're still using combo counter with your throw - just saying. 😏

28 minutes ago, GinKenshin said:

Try using snipers and their OP combo mechanic on eris and lemme know how op it is. The melee combo would just be fuel to do heavy attacks so that’s gone 

That's a good point - Ancients and high numbers of targerts.
For me same goes for Nullifiers - yes there are weakspots now, but I always tend to go for my fast firing secondary, not to waste time aiming for that thing and make sure, that it actually goes down.

Speaking of which, I'm hoping that with Melee 3.0 (or whenever), Speed Holster will be removed from the game as a mod, and holstering speed will be generally buffed.
(Sure, that would be a buff for Mesa's Peacemaker, but I don't think it would that much of a deal.) 

no sorry trowing glaive dont actually rise the combo counter significatively

also if its your point all mele use counter i dont see where it force you to use any specific weapon here lol?

Edited by Tsoe

I think the OP has a point. A melee combo counter may make sense on melee weapons, but in practice it doesn't do much to benefit melee gameplay, which is why it's getting reworked. A combo counter on sniper rifles makes even less sense, as the whole premise of sniper rifles is to kill single targets with every shot (one doesn't even need the combo counter to one-shot Eidolons, either). I find it strange that people would drop mocking emotes onto the OP when DE themselves recognizes some of the problems with combo counters.

Personally, my take on this is that combo counters need not exist as a baseline system. Melee combat should not require landing lots of hits first in order to start feeling impactful, and sniper rifles are already restricted enough by their focus on single targets (give or take some punch-through) that they do not need additional limitations (which should also mean removing the modifiers on zoom level). If players want to keep having a combo counter, or zoom modifier, or the like, that could be perfect for mods, but not as a baseline system for every weapon in those classes.