Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe crashes Display Drivers

Marabar

I have been experiencing driver crashes from Warframe ever since I returned.  The last update that I played was The Sacrifice and I never had any problems playing the game at high settings; however, no matter what settings I use I cannot seem to run Warframe without it crashing my drivers.  Specifically, I have been crashing in both Cetus and the Plains.  I updated my drivers since they were out of date, but that didn't seem to resolve the issue.  I also stress tested my GPU to see if it was crashing on its end, but it's fine.  I can also play other games with no problem, so I can only assume that some update to Warframe is messing with my drivers in a weird way.  I would send in a crash report, but the game doesn't crash when the drivers crash.

If you need my specs,

- Windows 7 Home Edition

- AMD FX-8100 2.7GHz 8 Core CPU

- 22GB 1333MHz DDR3

- EVGA GTX 660TI

5 minutes ago, Salenstormwing said:

Have you updated your Nvidia drivers? If so, and it still crashes, you might need to turn down your graphic settings.

If you actually read my comment, you would have seen that I did update my drivers and have turned down all the settings, but I still crash as frequently as before.

Edited by Marabar
Grammar

1 minute ago, Marabar said:

If you actually read my comment, you would have seen that I did update my drivers and turned down all the settings and still crash as frequently as before.

Have you done an integrity check on your game client? Also in the options on the client, you might want to turn off DirectX11 if the option is on.

Just now, Salenstormwing said:

Have you done an integrity check on your game client? Also in the options on the client, you might want to turn off DirectX11 if the option is on.

I have done an integrity check on my client, everything checked out; however, I have not unchecked DirectX11 in the launcher options.  I'll give that a try here.

Disabled DirectX11 in the launcher settings...

Tested Graphic Settings Low for 30min - Cetus and Plains - no crash.

Tested Graphic Settings Medium for 30min - Cetus and Plains - Hard Driver Crash after 6min

I'm going to perform a longer test on Low settings to see if it's actually stable, but I don't feel as if disabling DirectX11 has changed anything.

Turn off DirectX 10 as well then? Or turn off 64-bit mode? I mean, the latter should only matter if you're on a 32-bit system to begin with.

Honestly, if it's working on Low settings but not on Medium, I'm going to guess some specific setting graphically is putting too much strain on the GT660. It did come out in late 2012. Depending on when you purchased it, it might just be falling behind, or downright falling apart.

When in doubt, bring settings up one at a time, till you narrow down what might be giving the graphics card fits.

Well, it's sporadic in when it crashes, and from what I tested before it crashes on High, Medium, and Low.  Now, I haven't tested Low with DirectX11 disabled for an extended period yet (and won't be able to until Sunday because of College and Work), but I really don't have high hopes with DirectX11 disabled.

I know that the plains are the most demanding graphically, but I am still able to run Cetus fine on a GT 570 at low without any crashes.  Hell, I can run the plains on a GT 570 and only the game crashes, not the drivers.  Of course this was back when the plains first came out, but the only thing that has really changed from then to now is graphical optimization.

So IDK.  I'll do more testing on the matter on Sunday and see where that takes me.

18 hours ago, Marabar said:

If you actually read my comment, you would have seen that I did update my drivers and have turned down all the settings, but I still crash as frequently as before.

If you run with the 416.34 nvidia drivers, you should either install a previous version or the newest one - hopefully nvidia solved whatever problem this version had for many cards.

beside that, warframe always had problems with cards that run with a higher clock than the default nvidia values - regardless if the user overclocked it or the card-manufacturer done this. even those card that dynamically overclock the graphic card during an application runtime often produces such crashes with warframe (and some few other games as well).

since your card is one of those TI variation, i know that the GPU clock runs higher than the clock of the "normal" version and you should probably solve this (if you are indeed plagued by this issue) by using any oc-program at hand (likely you got one together with your card - if not, try MSIafterburner) and set the clocks of the GPU to the nvidia default settings of the 660 - which would be 980MHz for the GPU... as for the memory, it's a bit more complicated, but i think it's about something upto 7GHz with the used "Hynix 40 nm class" 2Gb moduls , so it might be better not force it into a fixed value - you can try out though without too much danger as long as you overdo it (start by the value the oc-program shows you when the game is actively running and go from there in small steps - up or down).

Well, I came from some old display drivers (I think they were a 380.00 version) to the 416.34 drivers, but the problem persisted between the two.  Really, I don't think it's on the driver side since that old driver was working fine until some update between The Sacrifice and Chimera.

Really, this card hasn't given either my friend who owned this card before me or myself any trouble with Warframe ever.  The card itself is fine and should be able to handle Warframe with ease like it has been, but something obviously changed between The Sacrifice and Chimera updates.  However, I did drop my core frequency to stop it from boost clocking past 980MHz, but this didn't seem to have an effect on stability.

It's weird too...  I thought maybe it was just intense combat situations that would trigger the crash, but it just crashes when I'm walking around Cetus.  Whether on High, Medium, or Low graphical settings.  Hell, it doesn't even seem to have a rhyme or reason to why it crashes.  I could be playing on high settings for an hour in the Plains and Cetus, but then crash in less than a minute while I'm walking away from the drop-ship landing pad into Cetus on High.  Same with Medium and Low.  It doesn't seem like the graphical settings themselves are helping or hindering the time before a crash.

I mean, I haven't crashed like this since the time I was barely running the thing on a 350W power supply.

Now that I think about it, maybe there's something wrong with my PSU.  When I think about it, I haven't crashed like this since I was trying to run my GPU on a lower wattage power supply...  I mean, when it crashes I don't just loose my displays but my audio glitches out as well...  I'm gonna keep an eye on my Wattage and see what happens here.

Well that was a bust.  It crashed when drawing 377 watts when playing Warframe, but running FurMark had it draw near 400 watts without a problem.

So we know that...

- The PSU is not the problem.

- The Boost Clock speed is not the problem.

- The drivers don't seem to make a difference.

- The graphical settings don't seem to make a difference.

- This started sometime between the end of The Sacrifice Update and the Chimera Update.

Any other ideas as to what this might be?

Edited by Marabar
Clarifying when this problem started.

17 hours ago, Marabar said:

Well, I came from some old display drivers (I think they were a 380.00 version) to the 416.34 drivers, but the problem persisted between the two.  Really, I don't think it's on the driver side since that old driver was working fine until some update between The Sacrifice and Chimera.

Really, this card hasn't given either my friend who owned this card before me or myself any trouble with Warframe ever.  The card itself is fine and should be able to handle Warframe with ease like it has been, but something obviously changed between The Sacrifice and Chimera updates.  However, I did drop my core frequency to stop it from boost clocking past 980MHz, but this didn't seem to have an effect on stability.

It's weird too...  I thought maybe it was just intense combat situations that would trigger the crash, but it just crashes when I'm walking around Cetus.  Whether on High, Medium, or Low graphical settings.  Hell, it doesn't even seem to have a rhyme or reason to why it crashes.  I could be playing on high settings for an hour in the Plains and Cetus, but then crash in less than a minute while I'm walking away from the drop-ship landing pad into Cetus on High.  Same with Medium and Low.  It doesn't seem like the graphical settings themselves are helping or hindering the time before a crash.

I mean, I haven't crashed like this since the time I was barely running the thing on a 350W power supply.

the problem with the driver version 416.34 would be easy to spot due to windows (w10 at least) becoming nigh unresponsible after the next start - so if your windows is running fine, the driver might not causing you the trouble. i gone back to version from a week earlier, 416.16, and that solved my lastes WF-trouble... for now at least.

the problem with warframe and some other games (i also had this problem with farcry 3 and fallout 3 or new vegas too, if i remember correctly) in accordance with overclocked graphic cards is actually pretty good documented. DE does warn about it too (though it would be better if they fix the problem that obviously is in their code, not in the cards hardware ^^)  but ofc, like always, not everyone has those problems or not always - meaning it can happen after either the drivers were exchanged or something in the games code regarding the handling of textures, shader, etc. was changed... since the amount of possible combinations from different hard- and software is sheer impossible to test for, it usually falls to the users themself to find a solution - and for warframe & oc'ed/boosted vid-cards the "down-clocking" is the fastest way and easiest way to handle it. and if it isn't the source of the problem, it can just as fast be changed back to normal too.

since your card might be already a few years on duty (i think the 660er series came out about 2010), it also might be a first sign of degradation of the gpu - i had this problem on 2 of my cards already (last one was the good old 560 Ti, that i had for about 8 years running). if you test for "only" an overclocking problem, a reducing of -10% of the given value (when running an application or stresstest) for the GPU should fix the problem - if you want to test with this method for the possible aging of a card, you might reduce the clock even further. it takes some time, and like many crashes too, to find a value (or not ^^) where the card is still running without crashes, but usually one gets to one before getting to -30%. but, you would likely have randome crashes in most other games, that uses the cards gpu more then your cpu, too if the card would indeed be the troublemaker.

since you mentioned your PSU... i think 350W is a bit to hard on the border what you should use with the CPU and you card - you might want to use at least a 500W PSU. the older a PSU gets, the more likely they fail on stabilizing the output-voltage under heavy load. sadly, it's pretty hard to test for without the help of an oszilloskop attached to it - those logs from the sensors are pretty much useless since they are neither sensitve nor fast enough to log something before the hardware crashes. but then again, if your PSU is indeed the source of the problem, you would more likely to get system crashes instead of only program crashes, and this about from every program that puts a heavy load on the PSU. you could try "simulating" this with any stresstest/benchmark program and should also get a crash from it.

anyway, i would put my money on warframes notorical problem with overclocked cards, but keeping the other 'candidates' in mind won't hurt either...

My whole PC has to be put back a restore point to be able to install a new driver, just now when I went into the game again it crashes on my when entering my Clan communication area where I can launch the dojo and check stuff. Not sure what the cause is but been happening since latest hotfix.

On 2018-10-27 at 6:11 PM, fr4gb4ll said:

the problem with the driver version 416.34 would be easy to spot due to windows (w10 at least) becoming nigh unresponsible after the next start - so if your windows is running fine, the driver might not causing you the trouble. i gone back to version from a week earlier, 416.16, and that solved my lastes WF-trouble... for now at least.

the problem with warframe and some other games (i also had this problem with farcry 3 and fallout 3 or new vegas too, if i remember correctly) in accordance with overclocked graphic cards is actually pretty good documented. DE does warn about it too (though it would be better if they fix the problem that obviously is in their code, not in the cards hardware ^^)  but ofc, like always, not everyone has those problems or not always - meaning it can happen after either the drivers were exchanged or something in the games code regarding the handling of textures, shader, etc. was changed... since the amount of possible combinations from different hard- and software is sheer impossible to test for, it usually falls to the users themself to find a solution - and for warframe & oc'ed/boosted vid-cards the "down-clocking" is the fastest way and easiest way to handle it. and if it isn't the source of the problem, it can just as fast be changed back to normal too.

since your card might be already a few years on duty (i think the 660er series came out about 2010), it also might be a first sign of degradation of the gpu - i had this problem on 2 of my cards already (last one was the good old 560 Ti, that i had for about 8 years running). if you test for "only" an overclocking problem, a reducing of -10% of the given value (when running an application or stresstest) for the GPU should fix the problem - if you want to test with this method for the possible aging of a card, you might reduce the clock even further. it takes some time, and like many crashes too, to find a value (or not ^^) where the card is still running without crashes, but usually one gets to one before getting to -30%. but, you would likely have randome crashes in most other games, that uses the cards gpu more then your cpu, too if the card would indeed be the troublemaker.

since you mentioned your PSU... i think 350W is a bit to hard on the border what you should use with the CPU and you card - you might want to use at least a 500W PSU. the older a PSU gets, the more likely they fail on stabilizing the output-voltage under heavy load. sadly, it's pretty hard to test for without the help of an oszilloskop attached to it - those logs from the sensors are pretty much useless since they are neither sensitve nor fast enough to log something before the hardware crashes. but then again, if your PSU is indeed the source of the problem, you would more likely to get system crashes instead of only program crashes, and this about from every program that puts a heavy load on the PSU. you could try "simulating" this with any stresstest/benchmark program and should also get a crash from it.

anyway, i would put my money on warframes notorical problem with overclocked cards, but keeping the other 'candidates' in mind won't hurt either...

The PSU I'm currently using is a 750W.  I was just referencing that it was crashing similar to the time I first got it and was running it on a lower wattage PSU.  I would also consider GPU degradation if I was crashing while stressing the card with Furmark, but it doesn't have any problems when under full load.  The thermals are also a lot better since I recently cleaned the dust out of the card. (Going from a 95C temp to a 75C temp under load.)  So I'm not sure as to what to do here.

My drivers are outright crashing since I can either recover windows, and it messages me that the drivers recovered, or I outright hard crash with no recovery.  So I can try rolling back to 416.16 to see if that will improve stability, but if it doesn't then I can probably rule out fault on the drivers side since that will be my third driver installed to solve this problem.  I mean, it's no surprise that DE updated something graphically that screws with drivers hard core since this isn't the first time, but since I was gone for a couple of months I have no idea what they updated that is messing with the card.

Hold up guys, I think I found my problem.  For some reason, Warframe is spiking my CPU into the roof at random times.  This is probably why my computer is irregular in how it crashes and when.  That would explain why it seems similar to when my computer crashed from not having enough power from the PSU.  Now my question is, what did DE do that needs ALL 8 CORES TO COMPUTE?!

12 hours ago, Marabar said:

Hold up guys, I think I found my problem.  For some reason, Warframe is spiking my CPU into the roof at random times.  This is probably why my computer is irregular in how it crashes and when.  That would explain why it seems similar to when my computer crashed from not having enough power from the PSU.  Now my question is, what did DE do that needs ALL 8 CORES TO COMPUTE?!

that's interesting... i will log the cpu time for warframe to see if i have the same spikes too. normally, wf doesn't do much load on the cpu, mostly when starting up, so this might either be some fluke in DEs code (maybe some bad resolved exception or needles complicated calculation) or might be a problem with the CPU - or more specific, from some patches against the "spectre/meltdown" security problem... that is if your CPU is affected and/or patched because of this (actually, it not the CPU itself, but the operationsystem that was patched... or mispatched ^^)

on other thing comes to mind when i hear about mysterious cpu loads though: maleware - specifically crypto miner. those buggers uses the cpu time of infected computers for their work and high cpu loads and spikes are one indication of them. so, just be sure you might want to do a thoroughly check of the system from a clean source (e.g. booting from a clean OS on a usb-stick with an up-to-date AV-scanner running on it) when you have the time - this sure can't be called waste of time in any case, right?

1 hour ago, fr4gb4ll said:

that's interesting... i will log the cpu time for warframe to see if i have the same spikes too. normally, wf doesn't do much load on the cpu, mostly when starting up, so this might either be some fluke in DEs code (maybe some bad resolved exception or needles complicated calculation) or might be a problem with the CPU - or more specific, from some patches against the "spectre/meltdown" security problem... that is if your CPU is affected and/or patched because of this (actually, it not the CPU itself, but the operationsystem that was patched... or mispatched ^^)

on other thing comes to mind when i hear about mysterious cpu loads though: maleware - specifically crypto miner. those buggers uses the cpu time of infected computers for their work and high cpu loads and spikes are one indication of them. so, just be sure you might want to do a thoroughly check of the system from a clean source (e.g. booting from a clean OS on a usb-stick with an up-to-date AV-scanner running on it) when you have the time - this sure can't be called waste of time in any case, right?

I can most likely rule out the spectre/meltdown security problem from earlier this year since AMD's chips were not at risk, I can't remember the exact reason why but I know it had something to due with how the physical processor was designed around the cache.  Even if they did release a patch for their processors, it would have affected me much earlier this year.

Now about a possible rogue crypto miner on my pc.  Now when my CPU does max out at 100%, all the cores symmetrically spike to max usage as if being hit by an artificial load.  They even all drop instantly at the same time, so thinking that a crypto miner process may have attached itself to the game would look promising; however, it would only be attached to that process.  I have left my PC run at idle with several programs running and played a few games (non-steam and steam based) with no strange loads on the cores.  I will still do a security sweep of my computer to see if anything shows up, but I highly doubt that a mining process only attached itself to Warframe and nothing else that I use.  It's possible, but highly unlikely.

7 hours ago, Marabar said:

I can most likely rule out the spectre/meltdown security problem from earlier this year since AMD's chips were not at risk, I can't remember the exact reason why but I know it had something to due with how the physical processor was designed around the cache.  Even if they did release a patch for their processors, it would have affected me much earlier this year.

Now about a possible rogue crypto miner on my pc.  Now when my CPU does max out at 100%, all the cores symmetrically spike to max usage as if being hit by an artificial load.  They even all drop instantly at the same time, so thinking that a crypto miner process may have attached itself to the game would look promising; however, it would only be attached to that process.  I have left my PC run at idle with several programs running and played a few games (non-steam and steam based) with no strange loads on the cores.  I will still do a security sweep of my computer to see if anything shows up, but I highly doubt that a mining process only attached itself to Warframe and nothing else that I use.  It's possible, but highly unlikely.

hmm, as far as i remember, amd cpu's from up 2011 were also at risk and got patched (or should have) for windows (only sure about win10 though, not about older windows versions) and an additional bios firmware update... but yes, you should have noticed anything wrong earlier this year, i guess ^^)

as for the miner: i don't think they specifically hook them to any specific process to run - most of the more sophisticated ones are rather clever in avoiding to run during times the user is actively using any high-load program like games. but ofc, there are also unsophisticated ones that doesn't care about making user suspicious to strange behaviour on the computer. doing a check for those bugger always a good idea, even without any suspicion - at least from time to time.

then again, there many other background processes that like run at the most inappropriate time - some windows ones too at this. but it might be just one badly coded auto-updater from any program you have installed and totally harmless at all (beside its stupid phoning-home and/or update routine). so you might want to check about everything running in the background too. a very good tool is the sysinternal/microsoft program "autoruns" also part of the great sysinternal suit - you can get those via microsoft technet or still the old sysinternal site. there is also a taskmanager substitute with the name of "process explorer" in this suite, that can help with finding processes that behave out of the row (also, you can get a scan-report from "virus total" from every running process when activate this option in the menu).

1 hour ago, fr4gb4ll said:

hmm, as far as i remember, amd cpu's from up 2011 were also at risk and got patched (or should have) for windows (only sure about win10 though, not about older windows versions) and an additional bios firmware update... but yes, you should have noticed anything wrong earlier this year, i guess ^^)

as for the miner: i don't think they specifically hook them to any specific process to run - most of the more sophisticated ones are rather clever in avoiding to run during times the user is actively using any high-load program like games. but ofc, there are also unsophisticated ones that doesn't care about making user suspicious to strange behaviour on the computer. doing a check for those bugger always a good idea, even without any suspicion - at least from time to time.

then again, there many other background processes that like run at the most inappropriate time - some windows ones too at this. but it might be just one badly coded auto-updater from any program you have installed and totally harmless at all (beside its stupid phoning-home and/or update routine). so you might want to check about everything running in the background too. a very good tool is the sysinternal/microsoft program "autoruns" also part of the great sysinternal suit - you can get those via microsoft technet or still the old sysinternal site. there is also a taskmanager substitute with the name of "process explorer" in this suite, that can help with finding processes that behave out of the row (also, you can get a scan-report from "virus total" from every running process when activate this option in the menu).

The reason I specifically stated that the miner would have to be hooked to the process is because the cpu spike is caused by the process image name used by Warframe.  Therefore, it would either have to be something latching on to the program itself or mimicking the image name to hide itself.  Either way if it does exist, it seems to only be affecting the Warframe process.  It would be pointless to check other background processes when I am seeing Warframe specifically using all of my CPU.

I also did a little more testing and found that the CPU spikes correlate with loading assets in the game, which makes sense.  This would also explain why I am crashing in the plains during combat or in cetus right after loading in or right before I load the plains.  For reference, it is using about 10-20% cpu usage at idle and 80%+ when loading.  (Though it would use more if other processes weren't running)

I don't know what to do here honestly.  I think I'm going to hold off on any more testing here until I am able to migrate my OS to my new system, which should be this Wednesday when my SATA controller card comes in.  Once I get everything set up on there, I'll see if the problem persists.  If it does, then I'll deal with it then.  No point in trying this hard to get a game to work on hardware that I won't be using anymore.

11 hours ago, Marabar said:

The reason I specifically stated that the miner would have to be hooked to the process is because the cpu spike is caused by the process image name used by Warframe.  Therefore, it would either have to be something latching on to the program itself or mimicking the image name to hide itself.  Either way if it does exist, it seems to only be affecting the Warframe process.  It would be pointless to check other background processes when I am seeing Warframe specifically using all of my CPU.

ah yes, then you're right - i thought you connected the spikes due to the lack of "idle" time of the cpu. it would indeed be silly for a miner to hook just to process of a game, so you probably right about warframes loading process - especially the plains and cetus which sure needs more resources than the rest of the game.

migrating from win7 to win10 sure is a good idea (in most cases) and windows 10 i the best choice here for its resource hunger is comparable to windows 7 and less than win8 and 8.1.

not sure if the OS (in connection with the drivers) are the source of the problem, but warframe should run smooth enough, even on highest settings with your specs - i had similar ones when i switched to win10 and had no problems with the game (though that was b4 PoE).

one last thing i wonder though is your main-memory: i guess you have 4 banks for memory-modules, but i wonder about the combination of modules you uses. it's likely your mainbord runs them in dual-channel-mode, which makes it important that in least in the 2 banks, that running together, there are the same kind of modul in it - best would be from the same manufacturer and same series too (but thats just to prevent strange memory problem that might occure... or not - the same kind of modul should be in though). if you have 4 banks, and two 8GB modules in one pair, that would mean you have 6GB left... there are both 3GB and 6GB modules on the market, but they would have to be single sided ones while your typical 8GB module is a doublesided one (in terms of how the memory chips are placed on the sides of the module). now, if not operating in dual channel-mode, ther shouldn't be any problems running such a combination of modules... but if you run in this mode (and i think that most mainbords do so as default setting these days), you should always keep i mind that this can produce strange behavior too - not always, but often enough in my experience. even worse would be, if you mixed the modules in the banks that would run as dual-channel - this would likely prevent the system to even boot, but sometimes not but "only" causes unpredictable errors and crashes.

it's unlikely that this has anything to do with your warframe problem, but when i just re-read your specs, i though it worth mentioning anyway.

hopefully you get rid of those crashes after migrating - good luck and success to you.

You know, I had this weird issue a while back now that I think about it, where Warframe would really tax a video card hard if you had the FPS uncapped. Set it to 60, it was fine. Let it run however fast it wanted, and the game would take something like the Orbiter and go nuts trying to render it insanely fast and just crash the game.

Check if your FPS is uncapped, and if so, set it to 30/60/anything but no-limit.

1 minute ago, Salenstormwing said:

You know, I had this weird issue a while back now that I think about it, where Warframe would really tax a video card hard if you had the FPS uncapped. Set it to 60, it was fine. Let it run however fast it wanted, and the game would take something like the Orbiter and go nuts trying to render it insanely fast and just crash the game.

Check if your FPS is uncapped, and if so, set it to 30/60/anything but no-limit.

Already messed with that.  I tried it with VSync on, with it off and uncapped, and it off capped at 60.  There was no difference.  Besides, it seems that my crashes are correlating with Warframe loading assets before missions and while playing in Cetus and the Plains.  It's weirdly maxing out my processor across all 8 cores, causing my system to crash.  Hopefully once I migrate my OS to my new system, this problem will clear up.

3 minutes ago, Marabar said:

Already messed with that.  I tried it with VSync on, with it off and uncapped, and it off capped at 60.  There was no difference.  Besides, it seems that my crashes are correlating with Warframe loading assets before missions and while playing in Cetus and the Plains.  It's weirdly maxing out my processor across all 8 cores, causing my system to crash.  Hopefully once I migrate my OS to my new system, this problem will clear up.

Yeah, that's all I had. I'm just not sure what else to suggest.

Alright!  I got my SATA controller in early and successfully migrated my OS to my new system!  Now let's see if I encounter the same problems.

For reference, my new system specs are:

- Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)

- AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8 Core CPU

- 64GB 2400MHz DDR3 (Limited to 16GB by Home Premium)

- ASUS GTX 780 TI DirectCU II