Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A small weapon slots overhaul

Arcira

In my opinion the current weapon slot mechanic is a bit limited and outdated so here is a suggestion for a versatile and future-oriented system. The main idea is that you can put any weapon in any slot (no more primary/secondary/melee) as long as you are following some fundermental rules:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.) Weapons are devided into 2 categories one- and two-handed. You can have 2 one-handed but only 1 two-handed weapon per slot.

2.) Maximum amount of slots is 3 (unchanged).

3.) Every weapon has a weight value which must not exceed your warframes load.

4.) The maximum load value depends on your warframe for example Rhino can carry more than Volt.

Spoiler

Example for weapon weights: Lex (2.5) Boltor (5), Opticor (10)

Rhino (20):     2x Opticor                       or           2 Lex + 1 Boltor + 1 Opticor       or         2x Boltor + 2x Lex, etc

Volt (15):        1x Opticore + 1 Boltor     or           2 Boltor + 2 Lex                          or         6x Lex, etc

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All Heavy Weapons get increased damage in order to make up for the reduced amount of weapons you can carry and for logic reasons. Dual wield advantages/disadvantages compared to a single light weapon:

- melee and ranged attacks possible without switching weapons

- 2 individual/seperate builds in one slot

- less attackspeed and accuracy (the weapon values do not change directly it´s more like a warframe debuff)

No non-dual version of a weapon anymore (in terms of inventory slot usage, crafting, attributes and mastery). For example Lex = Aklex. You can choose wheter you want to use one or both of them. You can put one in slot A and one in Slot B as well.

I think the limit of 3 weapon slots is the best one still both in terms of the visual/logical aspect as well as gameplay mechanics. Switching weapons midcombat can be done fast and efficient. The 2 buttons for "primary to secondary" and "melee switch" need to be changed into "next/previous weapon". It´s more comfortable because you can switch to the weapon you want directly which isn´t always possible within the current functionality.  A minor improvement is that you can choose which weapon you want to have equipped at the start of a mission.

What do you guys think? If there´s anything I´ve missed let me know.

Edited by Arcira

This would be a cool system imo. Armored Core has a similar system where it uses weapon weight and a Max load as an extra factor for balancing. If u want to carry lots of heavy weapons, u had to choose a heavier leg part, but this would in turn reduce your mobility. 

Adding weight factors to weapons and load limits to warframe would be awesome, and would give some frames an extra dimension of gameplay. In AC, if you were over the load limits, (designated by a bar in the arsenal menu, making it easy to keep track of) your bot would be 50% slower automatically. If u were below it, your mobility would scale with total weight.

For warframe we can do away with the overwieight part, and just make sprint speed scale with the total weight. Since sprint speed affects the bullet jump and all parkour, this would make people have to think about what weapons we bring, and would provide reason or logic to rebalance some weapons around which otherwise don't get much attention, like the opticor, or that kuva-grineer polearm.

If played right, this could be really beneficial for current and future weapons to be built around. Imagine a really good melee or primary, but to bring it you have to bring the lightest other weapons along to keep mobility. Overall it would just provide another factor for uniqueness among frames and weapons in warframe.

Edited by (PS4)negativ21

13 hours ago, Rawbeard said:

that would be a pain in the rear to keep track off.

Can you specify this a little bit? Are you talking about the weigth or the rules in general? For the most part it won´t change your loadout that much if you don´t want it with the exception of heavy weapons.

11 hours ago, (PS4)haphazardlynamed said:

Too Much RPG

The main part is about fixing some issues, conveniens, individualisation and logic problems. Not really that many rpg elements here. But I admit it might look bit bit complicated at first glance but that´s mainly because I tend to explain my suggestions quite detailed.

3 hours ago, (PS4)negativ21 said:

For warframe we can do away with the overwieight part, and just make sprint speed scale with the total weight. Since sprint speed affects the bullet jump and all parkour, this would make people have to think about what weapons we bring, and would provide reason or logic to rebalance some weapons around which otherwise don't get much attention, like the opticor, or that kuva-grineer polearm.

Thought about movement speed scaling as well. However I think if such a system should be implemented with caution. Small changes would make it redundant. If you don´t feel a difference there is no real point in the first place. Huge impact on the other hand isn´t good either because speed is an important part of the core gameplay.

Edited by Arcira

I think that big impact is fine. There are already occasionally threads and players who comment on how the excessive amount of parkour available/necessary in this game at high levels negatively effects other aspects of the game and it's balance, specifically enemy scaling. Building this into the game could go concurrent with a change to that.

Alternatively, a buff to the weapons which would add more weight to our load would balance this out by making them scale better into really high levels than the lighter ones. 

Essentially, it would become a question of choosing a light, mobile kit or a slow, heavy hitting one for "endgame" content (late survivals etc. This also has the potential to create more synergy and builds for frames which might fit on one the other play style, based on their kit and respective load limits.

Right now the best way this is represented in game is by melee weapon attack speed, but even that is trivialized by berserker/primed fury, and those are our strongest melee weapons (gram p, galatine p, Arca Titron, etc). This is not my main point tho, just an example, and if anything I would apply it more to the guns than melees.