Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Are We Ever Going To Get Dedicated Servers?

Darth_Sith

Why don't we have them? If we get dedicated servers we won't have to worry about a bad host in online mode. At times I'm forced to use solo mode because I always get a bad host. However with dedicated servers we won't have to worry about that, what are your thoughts on this?

i think they mentioned something about this in the last live stream. i don't think they have the money yet.

one way they can market the dedicated server would be to make it pay to use. that would help with the upkeep of the server.

Similar to Battlefields 'Rent-a-Server'

You could spend 100 bucks to rent a server for a year. Its dedicated, and you get to chose who does and doesnt come.

Why don't we have them? If we get dedicated servers we won't have to worry about a bad host in online mode. At times I'm forced to use solo mode because I always get a bad host. However with dedicated servers we won't have to worry about that, what are your thoughts on this?

insufficient cash...

but ya, i agree with u.

DE need a dedicated server to prevent cheaters.

peer to peer + client-sided host server = easier to cheat.

normally in other online games, server-side = hardest to bypass. but this will be ignored if it's client-host server, since end-game result are the information that is being uploaded to main server.

off-topic: ever seen a dc from session resulting in information not updated? ya, cuz the host is the one sending the results.

insufficient cash...

but ya, i agree with u.

DE need a dedicated server to prevent cheaters.

peer to peer + client-sided host server = easier to cheat.

normally in other online games, server-side = hardest to bypass. but this will be ignored if it's client-host server, since end-game result are the information that is being uploaded to main server.

off-topic: ever seen a dc from session resulting in information not updated? ya, cuz the host is the one sending the results.

I do see the whole thing about cheating in this game might be an issue, but honestly, if it bothers you, you could just leave. I dont see much of an issue with cheating in a game if they arent affecting my gameplay.

Edited by MasterZalm

Because setting up a data center just like that take a whole lot of smoljeros. They have stated it would be a possibility in the future to have dedicated servers.

Sometimes having a friend play who has good connection is a way to get away from the bad host problem.

No dedicated server is so lame.  Just got out of a game where the host drops, host migration, and then mission failed.  Not the first time and its almost to the point where its a crap shoot of losing all your loot (yes, even with 150ms ping filter).

Lets not talk about f2p since there are plenty of f2p games that have dedicated hosting and even rent-a-server.

No dedicated server is so lame.  Just got out of a game where the host drops, host migration, and then mission failed.  Not the first time and its almost to the point where its a crap shoot of losing all your loot (yes, even with 150ms ping filter).

Lets not talk about f2p since there are plenty of f2p games that have dedicated hosting and even rent-a-server.

Use no filter at all and you will find all the squads that don't do this... apparently its the complete reverse when it comes to ping on Warframe servers...

Edited by Arlayn

I doubt warframe will ever get dedicated servers, but it seems more realistic that the engine would be ported to a new pvp game if they play their cards right.

If DE add "raids" to the game with larger team sizes it would be better to have those on dedicated servers so DE might provide those either for free or as a plat service. But for 4 player games they are not really needed.

As player numbers rise it becomes more and more likely that you will be able to find a host with low ping and sufficient power.

Edited by Silvershadow66

The problem with dedicated servers is that currently there just isn't enough demand. Looking at steam stats Usually I'll see only about 5-6000 people online at one time. Proper dedicated servers are also kinda expensive to run. 

I'm pretty sure that they gave reasons in livestream 13, I'd link them but having just had an exam I am currently disinclined towards work.

I'm dreaming of the day where the game finally does get dedicated servers, so those of us stuck with crappy ISPs that block port forwarding can have a better experience.

I don't think it's coming anytime soon though, unless someone at DE wins the lottery. The game has to sustain its popularity and keep growing first.