Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion for new UI option: double tap instead of hold to charge

AdunSaveMe

Since holding down a button is annoyingly inconvenient on keyboard and is a serious issue on a controller (since you have to either take a thumb off a stick or seriously contort your hands into eldritch forms), I think it would be great if we had the option to instead double tap an ability to charge it, for the people that would prefer to use it instead of the hold charge. Basically, you double tap, and it charges the ability to full. This would apply to abilities like Fireball, Chakram, and Tempest Barrage. While it's charging, you can tap it again to stop the charge.

Less key holding could make a huge difference for the flow of certain abilities into gameplay.

11 minutes ago, Blade_Wolf_16 said:

So 1 click for the ability, two clicks for a charged ability and a third to cancel charged abilities. Feels a bit clunky to me, but as long as I can toggle it off I guess it could work.

I think it sounds worse than it would be in actual gameplay. You're just quickly moving to tap a key, instead of holding it down for the entire duration, so you don't need to lose a whole movement/camera input while it's charging. Releasing a charge early also isn't something I think people do often, but even if they do, a quick double tap and then another tap to release would be very fast. And still better than holding it down.

I also suggest it as an option, because I know some people would prefer the current function. Everyone wins.

Edited by AdunSaveMe

6 minutes ago, vid23 said:

you can rebind the ability buttons the be somewhere else where you can reach it without moving your fingers off from wasd, having a mouse with multiple buttons for example, is pretty good for things like this

Sure, but it would just be a lot more convenient to have the option, so you don't have to have a mouse with side buttons, or use other keys which you might have bound for something else. It's very inconvenient to try and shift ability keys elsewhere, and you still have to hold them down regardless. Also, it's a lot worse for controllers, so the option would benefit them too. I do not believe we should NEED to rebind everything to avoid this issue.

51 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Since holding down a button is annoyingly inconvenient on keyboard and is a serious issue on a controller (since you have to either take a thumb off a stick or seriously contort your hands into eldritch forms), I think it would be great if we had the option to instead double tap an ability to charge it, for the people that would prefer to use it instead of the hold charge. Basically, you double tap, and it charges the ability to full. This would apply to abilities like Fireball, Chakram, and Tempest Barrage. While it's charging, you can tap it again to stop the charge.

Less key holding could make a huge difference for the flow of certain abilities into gameplay.

Honestly this could probably be further simplified by shortening the charge time and making the discharge automatic.

• Tap briefly to cast normally.
  • Hold briefly (think like Ivara's arrows, maybe slightly longer) to cast with full charge.

I can't think of any abilities where a "partial" charge is all that useful, and I certainly don't think abilities like Fireball justify the lengthy charge time. The biggest issue with the hold input is that it's awkward in conjunction with movement, so it would be better for it to simply not need to hold it for that long IMO.

8 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

The biggest issue with the hold input is that it's awkward in conjunction with movement, so it would be better for it to simply not need to hold it for that long IMO.

I feel double tapping to charge also accomplishes the same thing, but without any button holding, which is extra convenience instead of just shortening it.

22 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Sure, but it would just be a lot more convenient to have the option, so you don't have to have a mouse with side buttons, or use other keys which you might have bound for something else. It's very inconvenient to try and shift ability keys elsewhere, and you still have to hold them down regardless. Also, it's a lot worse for controllers, so the option would benefit them too. I do not believe we should NEED to rebind everything to avoid this issue.

you need to rebind because not everyone use the same kind of button layout, for example some people might like to have their first ability on their 1 button, or on the mouse, or anywhere else, you have the ability to rebind the keys for this reason, also there isnt a lot of frame with this tap and hold kind of ability, and if they have one its usually always the first ability

51 minutes ago, AdunSaveMe said:

I feel double tapping to charge also accomplishes the same thing, but without any button holding, which is extra convenience instead of just shortening it.

What concerns me is possible overlap with consecutive casts and the possibility of fat-fingering.

In my experience "hold" inputs really only get intrusive over extended periods, so I think that by itself would be enough. I dunno, I just think it would be a bit more intuitive that way. An option would always be nice :smile:

18 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

What concerns me is possible overlap with consecutive casts and the possibility of fat-fingering.

No charged ability can be spammed fast enough for a short double tap window to be an issue. As far as I know, the fastest is Ember, and you can easily get around that by not just permanently quick-mashing the key. Even with very fast cast speed, it wouldn't be an issue. At the very worst, you simply accidentally charge a stronger version of your ability, and if it's a long cast like Hydroid, you can cancel it easily.

18 minutes ago, DiabolusUrsus said:

In my experience "hold" inputs really only get intrusive over extended periods, so I think that by itself would be enough.

They're always intrusive. Double tap charge removes that possibility. And yes, for people who don't like it, it can be an option. Everyone wins.

I don't mean to shoot down your idea. I'd like either change. But I'd prefer mine.

Edited by AdunSaveMe