Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Controller UI issues.

So as I posted in the UI Bugs section, although it may not be exactly a bug, I would say its NOT working as intended or as it should, as it removed options. 

I would love to hear some feedback from other people if they think that controllers should get all the some binding options as keyboard, YES there are not as many buttons, but the the PLAYER decide what they want to use on whatever button they like, I found no issues with my bindings that I had for many years.

Being a founder and having played with controller since I started, yes, I could use keyboard and mouse, but having various wrist issues, when it comes to actually playing and moving around I can't use the mouse due to it hurting too much.

So, I have not rebound my controller for probably almost a year. Even then most of my layout has been the same for several years.

After I realized I can't change it back I now feel stupid for not getting screenshots of the whole controller layout. BUt I can't do anything about that now.

I was just rebinding to change my alt fire to test something, and when I went to change it back I realized that it was now impossible.

There are two main issues.

One:

The Ability menu can't be rebound off of A/B/X/Y and the Transference can't be taken off left bumper.

The following two pictures is what I had as my power layout: (NOW no longer posable, taken from my friends account)

Screenshot_121.pngScreenshot_120.png

This is what I am now limited to. Taken from my current (Unwanted/Un-usable) setup

Screenshot_125.pngScreenshot_122.pngScreenshot_129.png

Please un-restrict what buttons we can bind our powers to. I don't see how it could cause issues being unrestricted seeing as its how I have had it for years.

Two:

The inability to set a button to single action of Slide, or Roll. Again, I have been using Slide, on the right thumbstick, This is no longer possible with the new UI layout. Why limit options on controller, Yes I get there are limited buttons, but why not give us the option to set it the way we want it, just make the defaults all three on one button, but give players the option.

Screenshot_126.png

Please either give us BACK the same options as Keyboard. Like you had before the new UI change, or add the option to access those action bindings on controller, or finaly add the old UI back please. I get the desire to have a unified and beautiful looking UI, but you are sacrificing usability for looks. I have no idea how much this may affect the Xbox or PS4 versions of Warframe, but the extra options if they don't already exist on them, I think would be useful to some people.

Screenshot_130.png

I almost can't play the game at the moment due to my muscle memory clicking buttons that CAN NO LONGER be set to what I had them to.

Please, Please, PLEASE, DE do something about this. I have supported you for years, both with founders and having only missed ONE prime access.

But now I can't really play, due to the inability to set my controller back to its old layout.

Thanks for reading.

Dr.NIDUS

Screenshot_133.png

• Like 3

On 2018-11-30 at 12:37 AM, cRDRHAXXXXcR said:

Being a founder and having played with controller since I started, yes, I could use keyboard and mouse, but having various wrist issues, when it comes to actually playing and moving around I can't use the mouse due to it hurting too much.

One suggestion, as I hate mice for gaming: use a thumball or trackball. Logitech is my favorite. A thumball has wonderful neutral ergonomics and doesn’t encourage awful posture mechanics.

@cRDRHAXXXXcR

Yes, i agree.. All controller buttons should be customizable to any keyboard key.. That's why it's called "Keybinding*

Then even give a option to set buttons with a hold to perform Keybind.

For example, I have a Xbox Controller i use on PC.. I have my Y set as Action Button (Interact with panels, Revive, Reload, etc..) I don't have a Map button because I'm limited to controller buttons.. Let me set up a press and hold Y  (for Xamount of secs i set) with Map Keybind (M} so i can access my Map.

Then, as the translucent Map is active, let me ptess Y again (which is action key but should be M during Map open), to view the bigger/non-translucent Map to view the Hot and Cold Cycles in Vallis.. Then hold Y (M) to close.

Then I  don't have a WP marker on my controller either.. I'll set another press and hold (maybe Secondary button which is Right Bumper) as my WP marker.

There could even be a combo button press setup.. Like press Left Bumper{LB) + Right Bumper(RB) to perform Keybind.. But I'm sure that might be buggy.

Edited by Grimmstyler

• 1 month later...

(@Grimmstyler You can do much of this with a third-party app like InputMapper, frankly I'd try that rather than hold my breath waiting for DE to implement combined button press controls. 
I'm mentioning it briefly since my errand is mainly to agree with the OP.)

As everyone who uses a controller on the PC knows, the rework has decreased our options and ability to customize our layouts. I do know that DE have addressed certain problems with X/Y-axis sensitivity and a while back they've made allowances for different preferences in toggle states, where 'crouch' was one of the most important since it gets used so much both by frames and Operators. Props and applause are due. 

However. With Melee 3.0 on the way, I really wish controller implementation could be developed properly in tandem with the coming changes and not fixed some way down the line. 
Currently we can't even separate aim/fire and block/channel, respectively, which either forces a lot of players to re-learn half of their movement while wielding a melee weapon or forego dedicated melee - including stances - entirely. It's such an unnecessary problem to have, but it's been there since sometime last fall.

I'm not sure why DE are so dead set against free keybinding but I assume there are technical reasons and/or a desire for cross-platform coherence. There might also be issues with input pacing, something I'm simply inferring because I frequently see it go wrong - the game buffers a previous input and uses it instead of the chosen one or tells me 'ability in use' when I've only pressed a button once. Buttons which haven't even got assigned functions according to the UI (the PS button on a DS4 controller for instance) will sometimes perform or try to perform a buffered action, no idea why. 
What I get from this is that it's complicated under the hood and that DE are loath to change something that seems to work. 

What I'd ask is that they review the potential benefits, accept the feedback from the many players who would say that it doesn't  work very well and assign the resources needed to get past this particular problem. 

Warframe is a very easy game but also something one can always improve in with enough practice specifically because of the wonderfully fluid movement.
It's the first thing I look for in other players, Youtube channels or the like. Playing it with style might even be the endgame. 
As such, suffering a clumsy-looking heavy landing because of a buffered input or because my hands refuse to relearn the habits of several years feels kinda off.     

Please, DE, let us know your thoughts on this and maybe consider making a new feedback thread since things have changed and new changes are due.