Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Losing relics and loot due to host migration failure at Excavation/Defense.

Ermiq

Hi there.

Yes, there was a thread about that not a long ago. However, the thread has been closed, so here we are.

First of all, I want to point out that I don't ask DE to get rid of host migration process. It would be nonsense, as far as we have hosts there will be host migrations, I understand that.

Also, I'm talking about Excavation and Defense missions, because these ones are in a zone of the risk. "Single phase" missions where you choose loot from the relic in the very end of the mission and do it only once during the mission, these missions have no problems with host migration.

So, now let's get straight to the point. I want to ask: did DE ever give any answers or comments on the problem of relics and rewards being lost due to host migration failure?

In the closed thread there were people who seem to think that DE can't fix that, because... because that's how the game works, because DE don't understand how rewards management works in their game and they can't change anything out there. At least, that's how I see it when I read those comments. Well, guys, I could argue with that. I'm not a professional programmer, but programming is my hobby, and I know a bit how does software work. And I'm pretty sure DE can fix the problem of losing relics and rewards. Though it would require some investments, time, etc.

From what I see, during a mission, info about reward is seems to be stored somewhere on host's side, maybe even on his local machine or just in his session data while he is still connected to DE's servers. Once the mission is complete, other players are getting their own connections to DE's and host sends info about rewards to DE's, which then getting sent to other players in their own sessions.

What does happen when host get disconnected? He doesn't send the rewards data to DE's. That's why we get nothing. 

Also, this may happen when host just quit the mission. In that case, the game executes host migration process which should take care of rewards data stored at host's, the data should be sent to DE's and then to other players. But their seem to be a bug which prevents actual host migration completion, the game couldn't set up a new host, the data couldn't be transferred, everything is falling down from the cliff, the game just closes all these things and allocates players to their own sessions made from the scratch.

Of course, this is just speculations. However, though I might be wrong about details but overall principle is most likely the same as I have described.

So, what are possible solutions?

The most obvious is to make rewards data be stored not at the host's side, but at each player's. But it seems that it cannot be done. Because other players are connected to the host and they have no connection to DE's during the mission. So the only way to save data in this case is to save it on players' local machines, which is the most unprotected method, cheaters are getting access to the rewards data and they could edit it.

Another possible solution is to save rewards on DE's every time when a wave at Defence or extraction process is completed. It can be done if host stays connected to DE's during the mission.

Also, they could just fix the bug. 🙂

TLDR: did they ever said something about this problem? Do people complain about that, or losing relics (and rare loot from them which is the most upsetting part for new players like me) just don't bother anyone except new players?

Edited by Ermiq

24 minutes ago, Ermiq said:

He doesn't send the rewards data to DE's. That's why we get nothing.

That's the point. No datas were sent. So you haven't lost your relics as well. 

Don't tell lies.

And your other thread was closed for a reason, this one will be as well

Edited by GnarlsDarkley

33 минуты назад, (XB1)Thy Divinity сказал:

You are putting lipstick on a pig with this re-post

It's not a repost. 

19 минут назад, GnarlsDarkley сказал:

That's the point. No datas were sent. So you haven't lost your relics as well. 

Are you sure about that? No offense at all, I just was pretty sure I've lost relics,  now I doubt. 

20 минут назад, GnarlsDarkley сказал:

Don't tell lies.

And your other thread was closed for a reason, this one will be as well

Why so angry? I'm not trying to create a storm here, I just ask, was going to discuss, and get curious about dev's point of view/official position.

And that thread wasn't mine.

Also, I would be glad to know what's the reason to close this thread actually?

1 minute ago, Ermiq said:

Are you sure about that? No offense at all, I just was pretty sure I've lost relics,  now I doubt. 

Yes. 100%. You will only be credited only if you finish the mission. I did plenty of tries because I was curious.

3 minutes ago, Ermiq said:

Why so angry?

I am not. "Don't tell lies" was still to the part with lost relics.

4 minutes ago, Ermiq said:

I'm not trying to create a storm here [...] And that thread wasn't mine.

I haven't read much of your OP, actually. Your wrong title and the first answer implied it was your thread. I apologize.

19 минут назад, (PS4)vidare сказал:

Sounds like it happens a lot to you? Every week, day?

I can't even recall the last time it happened to me though, rng i guess^^

This happened to me two times so far. I'm playing this game since November 11, so if I do some kind of statistic math, then I could say it happens to me every 2 weeks. 🙂

Back to the topic.

- If you only open a relic and did not finish a mission. The reward will not be sent and your relic will not loss.

- If you open a relic and finish a mission. Your relic will loss and you'll get the reward you selected.

- If you open a relic and finish a mission, but got disconnected at the reward selection screen before timer runs out. Your relic will loss and you'll get the reward from your relic (Meaning that you cannot choose a reward even you did choose one before the disconnected). The reward will be sent to you by Ordis via Mail (it will take time).

About Host connection.

- If host did not send a data about who open a relic and about finishing the mission. The relic will not loss and reward will not given out.

- If host send a data about who open a relic and about finishing the mission. The relic will loss and reward will be given out.

- If host send a data about who open a relic and about finishing the mission. But the client/host got disconnected before the reward were distributed to clients. The reward will be sent to Client/Host by Ordis via Mail (Cannot choose reward).

Also, all rewards in the relics are randomize in the DE server. If you did not send a data you'll not lose relics and will not get rewards. If you send a data to DE server that you have finished a mission but cannot receive it (DC before timer run out or host disconnected), you'll get rewards by Ordis later (he'll recovered it for you).

20 минут назад, NocheLuz сказал:

Back to the topic.

- If you only open a relic and did not finish a mission. The reward will not be sent and your relic will not loss.

- If you open a relic and finish a mission. Your relic will loss and you'll get the reward you selected.

- If you open a relic and finish a mission, but got disconnected at the reward selection screen before timer runs out. Your relic will loss and you'll get the reward from your relic (Meaning that you cannot choose a reward even you did choose one before the disconnected). The reward will be sent to you by Ordis via Mail (it will take time).

About Host connection.

- If host did not send a data about who open a relic and about finishing the mission. The relic will not loss and reward will not given out.

- If host send a data about who open a relic and about finishing the mission. The relic will loss and reward will be given out.

- If host send a data about who open a relic and about finishing the mission. But the client/host got disconnected before the reward were distributed to clients. The reward will be sent to Client/Host by Ordis via Mail (Cannot choose reward).

Also, all rewards in the relics are randomize in the DE server. If you did not send a data you'll not lose relics and will not get rewards. If you send a data to DE server that you have finished a mission but cannot receive it (DC before timer run out or host disconnected), you'll get rewards by Ordis later (he'll recovered it for you).

Thanks for your answers.

However, seems like you don't unclude Excavation and Defence missions here. At those we open relics and choose rewards multiple times during the mission, and I was meaning these missions when I created this thread.

Yes, at "single phase" missions (like Sabotage, Kill'em all and so on) we don't lose relic is not consumed untill we open it by collecting 10 reagents. I know that. And we get loot from the relic in the very end of the mission, where the risk of host migration is about 1% already. At those missions I had no problems.

As I said, I was speaking about Excavation and Defence missions. And I still think I've actually lost both relics and prime parts which I've got from that relics during the mission.

I think I have to edit OP and title.

48 minutes ago, Ermiq said:

As I said, I was speaking about Excavation and Defence missions. And I still think I've actually lost both relics and prime parts which I've got from that relics during the mission.

I think I have to edit OP and title.

They do have saved feature. But I don't know about Excavation or Survival since I didn't do those mission much (I only do those mission type in Solo). But as I said that to receieve the reward first the data must send to DE server before the reward rolled. You'll get the overall reward when extraction. But I think there are someone said that they only receieve reward of the last relic they open and not all the rewards when they disconnected. While I doubt they check the other rewards in their inventory (since Ordis only recover the last reward via mail), I think the game did save your reward when the timer of the reward selection run out.

As I said that if the server receieve the data both the relic and reward will be send out still true. I do not know that it'll be your reward or the reward you've selected. Maybe it's because it's not the reward you selected? I'll try to check if it gave a reward or not.

Edit :

I have confirmed that in Survival void relics (which do not have a save feature like Defense), the reward from opening a relic still given out even you do not extracted (Ex. got disconnected after opening a relic). If you open more then one relics all rewards will be in your inventory when you return. So, Ordis will not send any Mail to you.

I cannot confirm if the reward will be the one selected or not (since I don't want other people to involve in this and get no reward). But the reward should give out the moment the timer on the reward selection screen run out. It should be the one you selected.

In conclusion, the reward from opening the relics in endless mission will still given out to your account. Even when you're not really extracted from the mission or got disconnected.

Edited by NocheLuz

• 4 years later...
On 2018-12-08 at 12:30 PM, NocheLuz said:

Edit :

I have confirmed that in Survival void relics (which do not have a save feature like Defense), the reward from opening a relic still given out even you do not extracted (Ex. got disconnected after opening a relic).

I really wish the reverse was true, host migration on survival/excavation isn't a big problem imo (if you don't automatically return to menu), since you can easily manage to extract solo in one piece. Defense is another thing, soloing 5 waves alone is not an easy task, depending on which wave I'm currently at, and interception pretty much impossible lmao.

Disconnection is an "everyday" issue for me, so sticking with the group for too many waves is a no-no (if too much time has passed and I can't defend alone, I'll extract). It's a shame really, I'm possibly being the bad person here for leaving, because of how DE has decided those missions would work. VPN didn't help, on the contrary, it increased by at least 2 times the general ping ☠️.

Edited by Pieck.chan