Jump to content

add a server browser


Refticus
 Share

Recommended Posts

a problem with conclave is that you're thrown into a random server/player's game without knowing how many players are in the match or if the match is even populated at all.

i often find myself needing to join a conclave gamemode then leave if it has zero players just so i can get myself into a populated server.

by adding a server browser, you solve the problems of;

  • joining a match and it being empty, resulting in you needing to try again.
  • knowing which gamemodes are currently populated/being played by the conclave community.
  • able to rejoin the same server if you left it to do something else (e.g. warframe alert, needed to go afk, and so on).

i personally feel like this would be a good QoL change to conclave that would make people more willing to play it; if they know people are playing, they'll know the conclave isn't completely abandoned by players (and DE to an extent).

also if a server browser is added, region dividers should be disabled so that every server is listed instead of just the ones near you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Refticus said:

i personally feel like this would be a good QoL change to conclave that would make people more willing to play it;

I do not think this would make much difference. People do not play it because they don't like it, not because there is no server browser. I would say this is a waste of DE's time. You can already go into recruiting and try find people that way.

10 minutes ago, Refticus said:

also if a server browser is added, region dividers should be disabled

Why? This will just get you into games with high ping. 

 

This would assist the people that currently play, but I do not think it will effect those that don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, krc473 said:

I do not think this would make much difference. People do not play it because they don't like it, not because there is no server browser. I would say this is a waste of DE's time. You can already go into recruiting and try find people that way.

Why? This will just get you into games with high ping. 

 

This would assist the people that currently play, but I do not think it will effect those that don't.

have you ever actually seen anyone recruiting for conclave in the recruiting channel? that is a waste of time to do because people don't look in that channel for conclave, they try to enter a game in the orbiter console.

additionally, i suggested that servers outside of your region are listed because of how small the conclave community is; everyone is spread out across the world and right now people have to hop between the north america region and the european region to get even the slightest hope of entering a match. a server browser would display the latency too, so players can choose if they want to enter a 200ms server or the 30ms server.

i say that it would improve the gamemode because getting into a conclave match right now is a serious hassle as you have to keep hopping across dead servers until the matchmaker sticks you into one with people in it. if you have to rely on RNG to get into a match, then it's going to discourage people from even bothering with the gamemode.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Refticus said:

have you ever actually seen anyone recruiting for conclave in the recruiting channel?

Yes. Plenty of times. Have you ever actually tried?

1 minute ago, Refticus said:

a server browser would display the latency too, so players can choose if they want to enter a 200ms server or the 30ms server.

I do not believe this can be done reliably. Given how useless the ping limit setting is, I cannot see this working at all. DE would have to redevelop the system. High ping allows the host to win very easily, so people would need to avoid these anyway. Do you really want to join a game you cannot possibly win due to ping? Keep in mind, its P2P hosted, so the host has an advantage.

3 minutes ago, Refticus said:

i say that it would improve the gamemode

I never said it wouldn't. Just that this change is primarily aimed at current players. The main reason I do not play conclave much is that I do not like it. Getting a game has generally not been that difficult - but I still do not enjoy it. That seems to be the number one reason people do not play: it is not enjoyable for many.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, krc473 said:

High ping allows the host to win very easily, so people would need to avoid these anyway. Do you really want to join a game you cannot possibly win due to ping? Keep in mind, its P2P hosted, so the host has an advantage.

This... entire thread is about a server browser, and yet you keep insisting that peer-to-peer would cause problems, as if that is somehow relevant.

Are you deliberately ignoring the facts?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, krc473 said:

I do not believe this can be done reliably. Given how useless the ping limit setting is, I cannot see this working at all. DE would have to redevelop the system. High ping allows the host to win very easily, so people would need to avoid these anyway. Do you really want to join a game you cannot possibly win due to ping? Keep in mind, its P2P hosted, so the host has an advantage.

I never said it wouldn't. Just that this change is primarily aimed at current players. The main reason I do not play conclave much is that I do not like it. Getting a game has generally not been that difficult - but I still do not enjoy it. That seems to be the number one reason people do not play: it is not enjoyable for many.

i have seen people people in matches where their ping was high, just because players were in it; it's obviously not so much of a problem as some people can deal with high pings.

also conclave isn't 100% P2P hosted, it's a mix of dedicated servers hosted by the community and P2P servers when those ones are full or cannot be reached due to your region.

this change is primarily for people who already play conclave; anyone who has touched the gamemode can admit that finding a match with players takes ages because the matchmaking system just throws you into any server, either peer to peer or dedicated. of course it won't bring players who hate pvp back into conclave, but it'll make people who like pvp more willing to give conclave a shot instead of ignoring it after getting into their fifth empty match.

the best way to help conclave at the moment is by providing QoL changes that make it more accessible and easier to progress in, not a complete gamemode redesign.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, krc473 said:

You can already go into recruiting and try find people that way.

 

 

10 hours ago, Refticus said:

have you ever actually seen anyone recruiting for conclave in the recruiting channel? 

I have never, in all of my hours of warframe (PC and PS4 combined) have seen someone in the recruitment chat try to make a conclave match. Let's be realistic. The only posts in recruitment chat referring to conclave, are advertisements specifically to get the conclave weekly, and daily challenges done via cheese.

 

All in all, a server browser would be a good idea, or just a list of ongoing games next to a quickjoin option.

We already know that warframe pvp is bad, and a generally unbalanced experience. This does not automatically exclude it from quality of life changes that can improve it down the line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Refticus said:

this change is primarily for people who already play conclave

I 100% agree with this. My only issue was your claim that it would bring more people to the game mode. I do not think this would bring any significant number of players. For the sole purpose of improving conclave for current players it is worth it. For trying to bring new players, I do not think it is. The second point is what my response was based on.

 

15 hours ago, SevenLetterKWord said:

This... entire thread is about a server browser, and yet you keep insisting that peer-to-peer would cause problems, as if that is somehow relevant.

I said it once, solely in reference to removing region barriers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...